HybridZ

Full on resto mod of a 240Z

Just the slip fitting(s).

ShaggyZ:

Please understand that I'm not offended by your candor. I welcome all opinions. However, I posted your thoughts on the ClassicZcars.com forum, after others were complimenting the exhaust, and they said some things that I'd like to show you on here.

You can read it yourself here.

I build slip joints in race exhausts all the time. They seal just fine when everything's hot and they have the most ground clearance. I either us a T-Bolt clamp or header springs like these: (shows a pic of slip joints like mine)

Who's ever complaining is either Midas tech or a JDM fan boy.

Another one says:

I figure the complaints about the welding come from insecure punks who figure that the only way to make themselves sound knowledgeable is to bad mouth other people's rides, and the welding (which looks quite fine to me) is the only thing that can find to criticize. Ignore them. What you are building is a work of art - welding included.

I didn't tell them that you said anything like "looks like something I'd make". I didn't even put that attitude in there.

So funny. I'm pretty sure you're just learnin'. :icon6:

Shagster, I've used slip fit's (in turbo applications) and haven't had any regrets.
I don't have a problem with its functionality. Did I communicate that? Aesthetics, that's all. Never on a high-end exhaust have I seen slip fits. They've all been butt welding or similar so it looks close to one piece with fancy welding connecting each. The rest of the exhaust is butt welded but the wastegate pipe has a slip fit. I keep reading what I've written wondering if I wrote something else because of the responses I'm getting.

Candor is exactly how I am. There was no attitude to speak of. :-| <--- See? Expressionless.

EDIT: I think this is where the confusion came in:

OK. In my post #156 on page 8, did it look bad before welds?

Just the slip fitting(s).
"Look bad" was the operative phrase, to which I responded "just the slip fitting(s)."

I'll shut up now.

100_7680.jpg

An utterly amazing build. Doing an engine swap is easy, it's the details that take forever! :)

I noticed in this picture that you have a SS braided line passing through a metal bracket without protection. It is located directly below the catch can in this picture.

I see elsewhere that they went through great pains to protect the braided lines with sheathing, grommets, etc.

Shaggy:

No reason to shut up, brother. All is GOOD! Just imagine being in my position. I don't claim to know everything, but I'm trying to have those that DO work on my car! If something doesn't look right, I want to know. So, that's why I asked for clarification and then asked others on another forum for their opinion. That's all.

Bo, thanks much for pointing that out. I cut and pasted a lot of this from messages from the guys building the car. I didn't include the part where he said "please note that not all lines are secured in their final manner". He actually said that continuously. Good eye though! I'm honored that you're looking so hard at it!

James Thagard fabrecated my 321 manifolds using double slip joints from Burns Stainless. They are how the collectors are held onto the pipe. Very secure, tight seal. I have never had any issues.

I believe this is a better way to build a part that expands like turbo manifolds do.

Click for larger pics

Before getting everything 2000* JetHot coated...

The front 3" down pipe has a slip joint at the merge area into the 4"

th_d107.jpg

After I used them for awhile. I ended up wrapping them to control under hood temps...

th_dcp0660pl8.jpg

James Thagard fabrecated my 321 manifolds using double slip joints from Burns Stainless. They are how the collectors are held onto the pipe. Very secure, tight seal. I have never had any issues.
And that's ugly, too! :ass:

She started up on first crank tonight!

Finishing up some loose ends tomorrow and then onto the dyno! I'll have a dyno vid for you all soon.

Awesome. I can't believe it started up with that slip fit on there. ;) I'm pumped to see some video for sure!

Im just trolling through, I searched the build thread and found this one here. I work at national speed and I saw a few comments above wondering why we used a slip joint instead of just a straight pipe on the dump tube.

With the stock wastegate placement, we had to fabricate a extension to put the wastegate in an area where it fit. Slip joints allow small amounts of flex without leaking or breaking. Also preventing vibrations to be passed from the downpipe to the manifold. Making that a straight peice of tubing would be stressful on the manifold since the extension is fairly long and it could promote cracks in the future. I my self have a burns 4-1 slip joint custom collector that does not leak under 27psi of EMAP. (In this case, it might see lower 20s on high boost)

And yes the BC is on the lower portion of the block. Having it mounted on the chassis can create unwanted noises and vibrations. (I had a guy with a subaru that thought his car was knocking/pinging at idle) His BC was mounted on the firewall.

-Taylor

Im just trolling through, I searched the build thread and found this one here. I work at national speed and I saw a few comments above wondering why we used a slip joint instead of just a straight pipe on the dump tube.

With the stock wastegate placement, we had to fabricate a extension to put the wastegate in an area where it fit. Slip joints allow small amounts of flex without leaking or breaking. Also preventing vibrations to be passed from the downpipe to the manifold. Making that a straight peice of tubing would be stressful on the manifold since the extension is fairly long and it could promote cracks in the future. I my self have a burns 4-1 slip joint custom collector that does not leak under 27psi of EMAP. (In this case, it might see lower 20s on high boost)

And yes the BC is on the lower portion of the block.

-Taylor

That settles it, then: function over form. Though one can hardly tell when seeing how beautiful it all is. <-- that's a compliment

What are the odds that this catch-can bracket here:

100_7680.jpg

Might, over time, encounter undue vibrations leading to a crack??

Might there be a way to insulate it with a rubber mounting somehow?

Or am I chasing an issue that I perceive in a photo, that really probably isn't a big deal?

These questions come alongside the already stated "OHHMYGOD" that I simply can't find another way to say every single time I see more pictures :mrgreen: and the obligatory request:

VIDEO!!!