HybridZ

Full on resto mod of a 240Z

Those guys at National Speed are amazing. I'm 31 years old, and have been called a "kid" in my profession for a long time. It has always been more of a compliment because people are shocked when they finally meet me to see that I'm "just a kid". Now, I know what they were feeling though. These guys at National Speed, Jordan and Taylor being two that came on this thread, are KIDS. They are amazing too. Jordan is the one that planned out this meticulous build. Not me. Sure, I didn't just walk in with my wallet out and leave, but I told him what matters to me and what I wanted the car to be. PLUS, he already saw what Miller Brothers Hot Rod Barn had done with the car itself (National Speed did no restoration work). Taylor wires, programs, and tunes every car that these guys do. He's a genius. Forgive me Taylor for guessing, but I'd say 22 years old? Seriously, these guys are some of the best I've ever seen, and I've built other high-level cars too.

jt1, I honestly don't know about the tracking. This thing coming together finally has me just wanting to sit and stare at it. I want to touch it. I want to be left alone with it. :)

I sold my 911, so I'm probably going to have to take it to the track. But it won't BE my track car. I just picked up an Audi S4 (Avant/Wagon too!) this week to do that with. I like being different...

Concerning slip-joint sections on a turbocharged application; it's 100% logical, and functional. Not to mention, it looks pretty awesome too. :D

Quite a few vehicles I know of, belonging to friends and coworkers have slip-joint sections on their turbocharged systems, with no issues. A friend of mine named Ben (of Momentum Performance) has an S2000 that he's done a custom hand-built turbocharger system on, with four double-walled slip-joint sections on the Burn's Stainless twin-scroll T4 collector. The car sees 26psi exhaust-manifold absolute pressure levels (it's almost a perfect 1:1 IMAP:EMAP level at 600whp, a very well designed system, the IMAP is still a percentage higher than the EMAP, which is ideal). No leaking. The car makes 600whp, on a 100% stock F20C from oil pan to valve cover, by the way. ;)

Slip-joints are the way to go, in my opinion. They remain rigid while allow for flex, that's a nice combination for a tubular manifold.

I noticed in this picture that you have a SS braided line passing through a metal bracket without protection. It is located directly below the catch can in this picture.

The lines in these pictures are not finalized (as Jared stated that I stated). These AN lines are like saws when they contact other metal (or any other material in the engine bay, for that matter), we've taken extreme care to ensure no defacing will occur anywhere an AN line is present.

I see elsewhere that they went through great pains to protect the braided lines with sheathing, grommets, etc.

Correct. :)

What are the odds that this catch-can bracket here:

100_7680.jpg

Might, over time, encounter undue vibrations leading to a crack??

Might there be a way to insulate it with a rubber mounting somehow?

Or am I chasing an issue that I perceive in a photo, that really probably isn't a big deal?

It will be fine. The breather canister itself weighs almost nothing, and the bracket is supporting the weight on a vertical axis, not horizontal (i.e. there is much more resistance in the design this way). If the bracket were larger, I'd say gussetting would be a fair idea, but honestly, it'd be overkill. You've got to remember how light that breather canister is.

Another factor; it will have a hard line supporting the upper portion of the canister. Cracking will not be an issue, at any point in time.

These questions come alongside the already stated "OHHMYGOD" that I simply can't find another way to say every single time I see more pictures :mrgreen: and the obligatory request:

VIDEO!!!

Video is coming. :)

The shop camera has failed, I have no idea why. However, thankfully my girlfriend was at the shop with us last night during first start up, so I was able to capture the moment on her camera. I'll upload it today when I get home from work this evening.

Those guys at National Speed are amazing. I'm 31 years old, and have been called a "kid" in my profession for a long time. It has always been more of a compliment because people are shocked when they finally meet me to see that I'm "just a kid". Now, I know what they were feeling though. These guys at National Speed, Jordan and Taylor being two that came on this thread, are KIDS. They are amazing too. Jordan is the one that planned out this meticulous build. Not me. Sure, I didn't just walk in with my wallet out and leave, but I told him what matters to me and what I wanted the car to be. PLUS, he already saw what Miller Brothers Hot Rod Barn had done with the car itself (National Speed did no restoration work). Taylor wires, programs, and tunes every car that these guys do. He's a genius. Forgive me Taylor for guessing, but I'd say 22 years old? Seriously, these guys are some of the best I've ever seen, and I've built other high-level cars too.

I greatly appreciate the kind words, Jared.

I love this obsession almost more than life itself. There is no greater high than seeing a car like this come to fruition, and work as planned.

(yes, I stated "obsession," not job, not career, not hobby. It's an obsession)

jt1, I honestly don't know about the tracking. This thing coming together finally has me just wanting to sit and stare at it. I want to touch it. I want to be left alone with it. :)

Quote of the year, hahaha.

jt1, I honestly don't know about the tracking. This thing coming together finally has me just wanting to sit and stare at it. I want to touch it. I want to be left alone with it.

I fully understand that.

I used to own one of the Vintage Z's. It was perfect. I was so scared something was going to happen to it when I drove it occasionally, I couldn't enjoy it. After about 3 years and less than 500 or so miles, I sold it. It now lives in a climate controlled garage/museum in Florida, and I'm happy for it.

John

It's fun to catch the bug. :)

I still find myself staring at my car in the garage, and I have to remind myself; "Ok, Jordan. You've been standing here staring for five minutes, nothing's going to change, go to bed."

I'll never be satisfied until I can stare at my dream cars for five minutes every night before bed. I've got some work to do. :D

As of right now, every car I own, I have no guilt or fear taking on the road course, and letting the front end get some rock chips and tire material marks laid on it.

Absolutely. My 500 hp, sandblasted, rock chipped, rattle-can paint, tire marks all over it, brake dust 1/4" deep down the side, washed once a couple years ago car suits me a lot better than the Vintage Z.

But, all the blood, sweat, and tears in mine also make me really appreciate stunning builds like this one all the more. Just a fabulous job.

John

No start up video, one of the guys grabbed the wrong camera when he was at home for lunch (i.e. the shop camera died last night, right before first start up. Thankfully, another camera was present, so we were able to get the video still. He'll upload it tonight when he's home).

However, a few pictures from current progress:

John finalizing the breather system...

DSCN0003.jpg

The custom coolant-overflow reservoir Chris designed...

DSCN0006.jpg

And of course, the feed line is -4AN...

DSCN0004.jpg

John designed a custom throttle cable bracket to relocate the path of the cable, out of the line of heat emanating from the turbine housing/downpipe...

DSCN0007.jpg

Here is the path of the throttle cable now; as you can see, it matches its curvature perfectly with the PCV line, it's rather easy on the eye...

DSCN0008.jpg

Two of the National Speed fabrication experts hard at it; Chris Polanski (President of National Speed, Inc. Stores) and John Faldzinski (one of our Performance Technicians)...

DSCN0009.jpg

She's wrapping up.

A few more shots of the work thus far, it's about 98% completed, Chris is finishing up the fabrication work this evening.

The valve cover breather...

Driver side of the engine (i.e. where the vacuum reference location is)...

DSCN0047.jpg

Passenger side of the engine (i.e. where the breather canister is mounted)...

DSCN0045.jpg

Zoomed out a bit...

DSCN0050.jpg

Arial shot of the engine bay as it sits now...

DSCN0056.jpg

I love this shot…

DSCN0059.jpg

DSCN0061.jpg

Absolutely beautiful work.

A question for you though - is there a reason you have gone with such a large intercooler/piping setup? We did a RB25 240SX recently with similar piping and intercooler size to the one you have on your SR and had some issues with boost lag. We're currently re-designing it to use a smaller core and piping set. I would think that the smaller displacement SR would love to see smaller piping.

Not sure, you may be built for more power and boost than I'm thinking in which case lag may not be an issue, just top end power.

I know how you feel. All the time planning, worrying, distance between the shop and home, expense. We had two shows we were planning on being at that were at the other end of California on 5-24-2009 and 5-25-2009.

On 5-22-2009 my car fired up for the first time at 5:30 pm. The rest of the car was complete with exception of mounting the seats and sliding the stereo head unit in place. Well, the wiring harness wound up being in the way of the stereo. So apart came the console fuse box included. There was no time for pictures and videos. At 2:30 AM on 5-23-2009 we packed it in for the night. Back at the shop at 8:00 packed and ready for travel. Finalized the jetting on the carbs, attended to minor details, took two laps around the shop and put the car on a trailer ready to pull an all night drive to Solvang Calif for the Datsun Roadster show 5-24-2009. We arrived in Solvang at 2:30 Am 5-24-2009. Showed the car that day. Put the Z back on the trailer and headed for Orange county and the MSA West Coast Z Nationals.

I am from the mountains and not use to city driving especially when my new car is on a trailer behind me. However, the neatest event of the whole trip was when driving between Solvang and Orange a guy in a black Viper coupe pulled up along side me and fully checked out my car. Then, gave me a big thumbs up. Then he went on by and turned around in the car and stuck his thumb up in the back window again.

All this time I was worried that you may show up at the MSA show and have a nicer car than me. Talk about STRESS. I do drive my car. For the first six months, I woke up with or before the sun came up on weekends and drove all over. Always worried about the other drivers and deer. My wife, now refers to my car as the other woman. I was never in bed when she awoke last spring and summer, I was out enjoying my car.

Sorry for the long reminisce, but my car is in the garage for the winter as we have snow and gravel on the roads. I miss driving my car. I did start it up yesterday and listen to the motor.

I cannot wait until the point in my life where I can have an absolutely mint car, that I'm scared to drive. As of right now, every car I own, I have no guilt or fear taking on the road course, and letting the front end get some rock chips and tire material marks laid on it. :D

That is how a car should be. I would hate to have a car that I am afraid to drive. I say that with some chagrin because I am afraid to drive my car. Damn thing eats parts like a Sumo wrestler breaking a fast.

Yeah. I'm not going to be afraid to drive it. I'm just saying that it won't be a "track car". I put my last track car (a fully prepped Porsche 997) into a wall and that sucked big time. Track cars from now on are under $40k.

Just some pics that I wanted to share during this suspenseful time (for me) in waiting on the dyno tuning in the next few days.

I hope you all enjoy them as much as I am.

DSCN0066.jpg

DSCN0071.jpg

Check the breather separator/canister…

DSCN0086.jpg

DSCN0073.jpg

The vacuum reference…

DSCN0072.jpg

Backside of the engine bay…

DSCN0074.jpg

The intake tube and breather/separator canister support bracket...

DSCN0076.jpg

DSCN0078.jpg

DSCN0075.jpg

Front shot…

DSCN0082.jpg

And a few drama shots…

DSCN0092.jpg

DSCN0090.jpg

DSCN0086.jpg

DSCN0097.jpg

DSCN0099.jpg

DSCN0100.jpg

Thanks to Jordan at National Speed for hooking me up so constantly with wonderful pics of my baby.

See y’all tomorrow.