HybridZ

The best darn 240Z resto-mod I can come up with.

Blakt Out

Hey guys,

I've been restoring and modding this 240Z for a year and a half now. I have it posted in the 4cyl forum because it's an SR20 build, but someone there pointed out that this needed to be posted here in the open forum to get "the traffic it deserves" or whatever. This is my 14th Datsun Z. The other 13 didn't get the attention I wanted to give them because of money. Now, that's not an issue. I hope you enjoy my story. But I will say that, going through the gambit with Zs in the past (V8s, etc), I found that I really appreciate the Z as it looked from the factory and really don't appreciate all the crazy cut-and-bondo jobs that these beautiful cars fall prey too all too often. That's my opinion. I wanted to take the Z, make it perfect, and update it where it needed it. Now, there's not a drop of bondo in it. We replaced all rust with metal. Laser aligned every gap and line. I can say that it is truly perfect.

Here are a few pics of how it was when I got it:

Zindriveway.jpg

ZasIgotit.jpg

ZasIgotitengine.jpg

ZasIgotitint.jpg

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Every bit of trim on the car is new. The interior, although not in the car yet, is every drop new-old-stock. I hit the jackpot with finding every bit of the interior from Datsun. When I say every piece, I mean even the little fasteners and gaskets inside the doors. The dash. Everything. I went back with the stock color too. The bottom of the car is actually perfect tint-matched rhino-liner.

2403.jpg

240177.jpg

240117.jpg

240116.jpg

240119.jpg

Here's where we start having fun. We welded in AZC camber plates. Look at these in the front. I think that's pretty clean. AZC coilovers. AZC differential mounts. 300ZX Turbo axles. Modern Motorsports half shafts. AZC 5 lug conversion. Wilwood 6 piston brakes on the front and 4 on the rear (discs there too). Nismo LSD. AZC quick steering knuckles. Restored steering rack. Vildini SR20 cradle. Suspension Techniques Sway Bars.

Camberstrut2.jpg

jaredcullop003.jpg

jaredcullop008_3.jpg

jaredcullop015_2.jpg

jaredcullop002_3.jpg

In a diversion from the total stock look (other than wheels/tires/lugs/stance), I also had all the holes welded shut on the bumpers and had them triple chromed. I also will be installing a chin spoiler, because... well... the car needs it. We all know these lift at speeds. I'm using an Aeromotive fuel system, and the pump is mounted in the spare tire well. All fuel, brake, and clutch lines are brand new. All light lenses and such have just been restored. McKinney Motorsports aluminum radiator and intercooler. We're making our own mounts, as you can see in one of these pics. It's not done yet.

DSC_0031.jpg

jared018-1.jpg

jared015-1.jpg

jared014_2.jpg

jared008-1.jpg

The engine is an S15 SR20DET. 2003 model. The transmission is from an S14. The S15 6 speed is for sale. National Speed (http://www.nationalspeedinc.com) has built the engine, totally. We're looking for 400HP with no lag. I need to get all the details up here, but this isn't the 4cyl forum anyway. Brian Crower cam, valvetrain, pistons, etc. Greddy intake. I had a Full Race exhaust manifold, but it got in the way of the steering shaft. National Speed is making one for it. AEM standalone ECU. Competition Clutch lightweight flywheel and race clutch. It will likely have a carbon fiber driveshaft. These are pics of a test fit. We also fully restored the gas tank.

IMG_0123-1.jpg

IMG_0122.jpg

IMG_0111-1.jpg

IMG_0110.jpg

OK. So that brings you up to date. We're working hard. Thanks to Guy and Scott at Miller Brothers Hot Rod Barn in North Wilkesboro, NC. Guy did all the work. I stood around and pointed, thought really hard, and took pics. The Z will be at a show in Myrtle Beach, SC at the end of March. However, it probably won't be finished. We're getting there though! I never thought that it would cost this much time and money to get a perfect Z. When it's running, I'm going to build the stock L24 just to have on a stand in the garage. I think that's cool.

Ive been following your build and it is truly impressive!

Would you mind if I dropped by the Hot Rod barn sometime. Im in Mooresville, NC and would love to see your car.

Also will you be able to make it to Zdayz this year?

Of course! Let me know when you are going to go by and I'll be sure Guy Reid is there. He's the man to get the major credit! A true artist for sure.

OK. So that brings you up to date. We're working hard. Thanks to Guy and Scott at Miller Brothers Hot Rod Barn in North Wilkesboro, NC. Guy did all the work. I stood around and pointed, thought really hard, and took pics. The Z will be at a show in Myrtle Beach, SC at the end of March. However, it probably won't be finished. We're getting there though! I never thought that it would cost this much time and money to get a perfect Z. When it's running, I'm going to build the stock L24 just to have on a stand in the garage. I think that's cool.

Hey-

Awesome work on your car, I would like to see it at the show in Myrtle Beach. Do you know the date in March ?

^ I'd like to know the date too, i'm going to be on vacation in Little River, SC the last couple weeks of March. If there's a car show i'm there!

This is a dream build! Could only wish to overhaul my Z like that someday. Right now it's just maintainance and mods to enjoy it. But ideally (if money were no object) i'd love to do a build like this on it. Excellent work. Gonna be watching this one for sure...

I don't know the details (the Hot Rod Barn just asked if I would let them display it) but I know it's in Myrtle Beach and on the 20-22 weekend. The 20th is my wife's birthday, but I'LL BE THERE! She'll like coming to MB. That's cool.

And yeah. Little River is very close. 20 minutes or so. Come on down!

Well i'm leavin' here on the friday (20th) so if you come across any address or info let me know through PM please and i'll plug it into the GPS and head down on the Saturday or Sunday.

Unfortunately i'm not bringing the Z but i'd still like to hit up a local Car Show if that's going on. This trip just got that much better!

Holy hell sir. This is amazing. One day hopefully I can experience what you are experiencing. I too am doing an SR swap into my car (welded motor mounts in yesterday. But mine is nowhere close to your car.

I thank you for posting the progress - this is better than pr0n.