HybridZ

CCD Cam for sideview mirror to reduce drag

Ok this may be a bit much, but its winter and all I can do is theoretical bench race/planning etc..

Has anyone thought of removing the side mirrors and replacing them with a small ccd camera? I have a very small camera (golf ball size) that I attach to various parts of the car and run it into my video camera for future z vids, and I thought that it could work as a sideview mirror. This may be more "geewiz" factor than anything, but it would reduce aero drag. A small monitor on the dash would be all that you need. If the right type of camera or multiple cameras were used, you could have a display that replaces the rear view mirror. I know more vehicles on the road sometimes have these backup cameras, so it may even be legal? Somtimes on the track, I have placed my video camera facing backwards to film out the rear hatch, and it worked pretty good. I didn't have it setup for me to see while driving, but it sure looked good in a video.

I know that cars require at least a drivers side mirror, but not a passenger side mirror, as it is/was an option on many cars.

Just thinking out loud.

It would reduce drag but add weight and increase (by a small amount) voltage requirements from the alternator. Your top speed would increase a bit but acceleration to the top speed might be slowed a bit.

I think this is more a coolness mod then anything else. Give it a try and let us know how it works.

No offense.. but your driving a 30 year old sports car designed to be cheap and affordable...

The car was not built for aerodynamics.. I severely doubt changing the mirrors would provide any beneficial effect to the performance of your car. In fact this would hinder the safety of your car. On top of that your spending money on something that can be truly beneficial.

We all know what can be done cheaply to slightly improve the aerodynamics.. but I think the mirror idea is pointless.

Sorry man

My 240z came with one mirror from the factory I still only run one mirror as its worthless anyway. Another thing you could do is go to a more aerodynamic mirror, like the bullit mirrors, they looks classy and I bet would shave a little drag. Run one and sell the other one to somebody else lol.

• 2 weeks later...

Prevost Motor Coaches have this as an option, if you so choose. Not only for backing the rig, but for watching down the side in the 'blind spots' where the mirrors hung off the top of the coach can't see.

Color Monitors and everything!

I'd worry about visibility if you didn't have a really wide angle lense and a daylight readable display. With a regular rear view mirror you can move your head around and get a larger field of vision. With a camera you'd have to use a motorized mount and play with a control to see around a bit more. A camera works good for backing up because you're going slowly and precisely, not making split second decisions while in fast traffic.