HybridZ

Youngins: How'd you end up with a Z?

LowCarbZ

Well fellas Im 35 and I drove my first 70 240z at the ripe old age of EIGHT!! My Dad was a supercool drag racin kinda Dad so he put me on his lap about 6 years old and i was clutchin alone by 8. Never forget the time some puppies ran out in front of me in that old z... 8 years old slammed on the brakes-forgot the clutch and bucked and jerked them puppies down hahaha!! I tried to redo the car at the age of 16 when i realized the title didnt match the car! Since then Ive owned 2- 24os 1- 260 a 280zx and Iam currently planning to purchase a 280z in Indiana to install my series2 supercharged GTP v6 in for an all around drag/street/road course multipurpose funmobile! Ill post pics as I progress toward my goals-sub 11 sec 1/4mile-1g grip-25mpg

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm 24 and have been a Jeep owner and Tech since I was 16. I finally decided the 13 mpg that the 5.9 Limited got was not good enough. I found a Volkswagen Corrado VR6 and got a loan and went to buy it. I got there and we went to test drive the car and I got it onto the highway (it was dusk) and about as I got it to 50 mph a deer ran out in front of the car out of the ditch and the Corrado was totalled; before I agreed to buy it. Long(er) story short my insurance paid for the car and I was sitting on $3G's from the loan.

I had always liked Z cars and a friend of mine had a Z31. I found a 73 240z L28et north of Chicago http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=140574&highlight=lovethedrift (he advertised it here too) on craigslist and went to check it out. He was asking 5K and I got it for less than half of that. Unfortunatally I live in Iowa and cant drive it for a while. I found a 72 with a 350 in it on Ebay and scored it for parts for $185!!! It's got bumpers, steering wheel, interior, rear window louver... Went and picked it up Sunday. I stumbled into the Z world by chance and am loving every minute of it.

Well Im 21 and I got my 240z about 8 months ago. Both of my parents had 280zx's at some point in time and i loved riding around in them when i was younger. So naturally I wanted a Z of my own for my first car. so when i was 16 my mom bought me this 88 Z31 that i had plenty of fun with

2005-07-29006-1.jpg

i came to find out that the previous owner must have jumped a curb or two in it because the frame rails were dented and bent like hell along with the rear suspension. then the damn thing started overheating on me....(i didnt know nearly as much about cars as i do now and i dont know much now and thinking back i probably could have saved it haha)

after the 300ZX i picked up a crappy 88 4 door hatch integra (a real piece though i found out that a honda can still run "ok" with basically no rings). durring that time i got into drifting so after the integra i picked up an 88 RX-7. cool motor but it lacked torque (non-turbo). that and while attempting to drift i hit a sharp curb fallowed by a brick wall haha.

with the 7 rebuilt with pick-n-pull parts i went on search for a S30 for a few reasons

-ive always liked Z's

-the s30's have more to bring to the table in both performance and style than all the previous cars ive owned put together

-no smog so i can swap what i want

-i did some research and found this web site and along with it pics the users cars!

after that i went on to search for almost a year untill i found my Z but its all good cuz shes all mine now :mrgreen:

I wanted an s13, but I fell in love with a 79 280zx that used to be used as a drift car (even had the battle scars, and I won't lie...I also drifted it in a few parking lots). It was stripped to hell, but I was able to get it looking nice. So yeah 18 1/2 and I had my first Z. Eventually I got my early model 260z, and now she just sits wrecked on the driveway. (no I did not drift her.)

I'm 20 now, out of cash and I couldn't go to school this semester.

Guess, I'm fixing the Z.

Im 23, and have 5 cars total. I usually buy one a year, since i was 18. Paid in cash.

I dont like new cars that lock you in when you shift into "d" or that ding at you when your seatbelt is off. I hate standing in front of a car waiting for the interior light to go off.

When i was 13, my dad told me about an article in hot rod called "240z/28"

I started looking at z's for about 8 months before i found a clean one for $2300

I have what i call "craigslist syndrom" I get bored, and find good deals on some website, and convince myself i need it

My dad loaned me a '97 s-10 to drive for 6-8 months while i saved for me..

'69 chevy pickup - found in "auto trader" $5300 in cash @ age 17

'79 Malibu - ebay motors, local $1750 in cash @ 18

'74 260z - "classic datsun, or some Z website $2300 @ 19

'97 chevy pickup - craigslist $3800 @ 21

'86 k5 blazer - craigslist $1650 @ 22

This is a very cool thread. And something I had wondered about too since I certainly don't rank in the youngins category, not even close. I saw it at my first DNI event, so many young guys owning cars built before they were born. I think Challenger wins the prize for buying his first car at 10. At 10 I was buying plastic models and only dreaming about actually owning a car. BTW lowcarbz my first ride after college was a brand new 1965 Sunbeam Tiger!

One of my earliest memories is being at the drag races in California with my Dad, I think he broke me. When was 14 or so I inherited a rusty '48 Chevy Fleetline Aerosedan... disassembled it and never got any further. Drove a Jeep through highschool, then bought a "running" '62 Thunderbird to hopefully drive while I was at college. It was a lemon, I rebuilt the enginen but never put in in.

Then along came Formula SAE... one of the best, and worst experiences of my life so far. In 4 years I learned how to TIG weld, run a CNC mill, design, build and drive racecars... 4 racecars, and 2 SCCA Solo national titles later... I'm still in school and just trying to get done with my mechanical engineering degree. Formula SAE hooked me on cars that can handle, but I never lost my love of old cars. So my requirements in looking for a car were light, quick, RWD with SOUL... and no rust. I looked and looked for a good rust free car, and finally got what I thought was one. Bought it, drove down the street to put gas in it, which started leaking all over the place. Thats when I knew I had made a mistake...

Since then its got a L28E, megasquirt, and is fairly reliable, and my only transportation. Unfortunately its been battered by hail, and its starting to rust through the nice new paint the previous owner hide done to hide all the problems. I love my car, I just wish I spend more time to find a real rust free one. Oh ya, I'm 22 =)

Im 21 now. Bought my 73 240z from a friend two years ago around thanksgiving looking like this...

DSCN1662.jpg

Now its this

4.jpg

At the time I couldn't pass it up for 750 bucks. But I have no idea what I was thinking. I though I was into cars because I had a 87 GTI 16v with bolt ons, the Z really taught me what spending time in the garage was all about. I couldn't weld, Fabricate, wire, tune motors, set up suspension....

Now a year or so later and countless hours I have new passenger frame rail and floorpan, all new wiring, suspension, L28 with a cam, (2 new toolboxes) etc... Hands down the best purchase I ever made. I remember telling my fiance that "Ah no problem, I'll be able to finish this car on the cheap and quick" while all the time about ready to run screaming out of the garage for fear of my mistake. Now I couldn't be prouder of my below average Z. Of course my checking account (what's a savings account?!?) suffered, but it was certainly worth it. I'm driving the Z away from my wedding in june, straight headers :icon54:. Can't think of a better way to warn her family of whats in store for the coming years.

Well im 20 years old and the reason i got a Z was that it is awesome. I also found a decent deal and it had fairly low miles. 100,000 its a 81 zxt. I am enjoying it very much and have stripped down the engine as much as i am willing right now. just alternator and water pump on the belt. I also have an 1984 montero sport for a dd. but needs the tranny put back in it. should be in tomorrow. but cant wait for summer and the salt to be off the roads so i can drive the Z agian.

My best friend's father gave me his 280Z about 3 years ago. I am 28 now. He knew that I would take care of it and fix it up. I am a care freak. He gave it to me over his 3 boys.

I am having it converted to LS1 engne with complete restoration. It should be done before summer is over.

I am 21

Reasons i bought a 72' 240t.....$3,000

1. My ride home from the hospital after birth was in a 84 300zx.

2. My father has a 74 early 260z. He originally bought it (when i was 4) with a blown head, ironically the nissian dealers race team blew an engine that weekend and was selling their head. so my father put the racing head on some performance headers and a straight through monza exhaust and down draft webers.

The car has been a loud, bright red icon in motorspot for me growing up. never once listened to the radio in the car, the exhaust note is amazing

3. college student trying to go fast with style.

4. finally found one zero rust 240z, 83 28zxt, r200, t5 tranny, eibach springs, koni shocks, lightweight flyweel car. It was everything i ever wanted in a Z

My first encounter with a Z was my ex step fathers akkido instructor. He had a white 240z automatic but I couldn't stop starring at the car. I asked my ex step dad what kind of car it was and he told me from that point on I researched and researched.

I was 15 around this time. I got my first job at 16 and saved ALL my money towards getting one. My mom wouldn't allow it. She said it was too small and dangerous. But I argued my case and me and my father purchased a early 74 260z that I fell in love with. I am now broke because of this car and like Austin I am addicted. The original owner has the same last name as me. Back in the family I'd say. Lol.

The day I checked it out for purchase:

DSCN0719.jpg

The day I picked her up. (she cleaned up nicely)

DSCN0740.jpg

Well, I'm 18 and picked up my first Z almost a year ago. I found a '79 280zx on craigslist for $250 and I'd always wanted something I could tinker on and not worry about breaking. I could scrap the car for my purchase price if it came down to it. So I bought it without knowing a single thing about Z's. After doing some research online I discovered the s30 and decided that I would rather have one of those, but I already had planned (and started gathering parts for) a turbo build.

Whilst browsing the b/s/t here on hybridZ I came across an ad for "three 240Zs, CHEAP". Well, it turns out that the seller ment free when he said cheap! Two days later I was off to pick up three cars about 250 miles away down in Oregon. Two trips and a week later, I had a '71, a '72, and a '73 to join my '79. The 280zx went onto the back burner and I started building the s30 I had been wanting. It's been love ever since :)

Im a 22 year old college girl. I picked up my 1981 280zx a couple of weeks ago for $1500. I thought it was a steal, all my friends think I am crazy.

I have a DRZ400SM that I love to ride, but Ive already done as much to it as i would like. The only thing left is to make it a stroker but i dont really want to.

So i bought this car as something new to tear apart, see how it works and see if I can get it back together again. I got to drive her for about 200 miles before she broke down at work. Wont start, not getting any fuel..... :(

All it needs is some lovin' and I am very excited to start working on it. I have another car so this isnt a daily driver for me, although that is my goal

P.S. this forum is amazing

I got my Z when I was 26 and my car is 4 years older then me(79' zx) I have always drove older POS cars and was always fond of Z's in general. I was not in the market for a car at all but when the chance to get a Z came up I could not pass it up. She is not my dream Z but I love her and am slowly fixing her up bit by bit. It is not a daily driver so it has the honor of being in pieces most of the time. She is currently in driveable condition and I take her out whenever the weather alows me to. Online Communities like this one helped seal the deal in buying that old car.

Yes please! :)

Hey after looking at it, this one if from Motor Trend, not hot rod, and when I grabbed it from all my other articles I accidentally left the last page at home, but here is this one, MIGHT be the same one you were referring to. :) Motor Trend also compared the new 370z to the 2010 mustang... the Z is better on almost all levels again. Hehehe I can scan that article to if anyone wants to see.

Click images to make them larger

th_Z28vs240z-Page1.jpg th_Z28vs240z-Page2.jpgth_Z28vs240z-Page3.jpgth_Z28vs240z-Page4.jpgth_Z28vs240z-Page5.jpg