HybridZ

Youngins: How'd you end up with a Z?

LowCarbZ

I picked up my first s30 when I was 17. I got into Nissans and drifting when I was 16 and naturally became a big Nissan fan. I did a lot of researching older Nissans and all the motors Nissan has made. When I found out about S30s I knew I had to have one eventually. The 240sx I was driving was on its last leg end of junior year in highschool, so it was time for a new car.

I lurked craigslist for awhile looking for another 240sx when I remembered the Z cars. Did another search for Datsun, and there it was. Beautiful black, clean all original 1977 280z. Very little rust, lots of miles, but it didnt bother me. I changed my boxers and jumped on it. Picked it up for $3500.

It never gave me any out of the ordinary problems. Having older guys stop me on the street and tell me stories about when they had a Z is fun too. One guy told me about how he and a buddy were in his 260z driving across, I think he said, the Brooklyn Bridge at 120mph blasting Zeppelin back in the day. Crazy guy but cool stories. Drives a Z32 now.

Now I'm a couple months from 21 and I'm on my third. I still have the 77, but now have a 240z and an LS1 in the garage waiting for me to get another job. Sold another 240z I had.

Great story. Mine's similar haha.

Well, I've always been into cars ever since I was a little kid. My dad would ask me what different cars were while we drove around and walked through parking lots. He had an '86 GTS Corolla hatchback himself and loves cars. Although he's stuck with a Camry now....poor dad haha. Anyways, when I turned 16 I immediately got my license and drove our '92 Camry around. It was the extra car in the family but I wanted my own car. Three months go by and I get a job at...dun dun DUN McDonalds! Woo!! Ok so not really...but anyways it was a job. By the end of the summer I had $2500 saved up and the search was on. I wanted something older but didn't know what. I knew OF Z's but not much about them other than what was in my classic car books. Dad suggested we go and look at one so we drove down to San Diego to look at a 240. Looked decent, had some rust in the normal places and started right up. The suspension and brakes were SHOT though and we had to use the hand brake to stop the car. Dad said no pretty quickly haha.

A week goes by and I keep looking in the local autotrader. I see one for $2150 down in Escondido. 2nd owner and 150k miles. The car needed paint, had bullet hole stickers on the side, and had a lot of rust in the rockers. My family is originally from Boston so my dad didn't think that the rust was an issue compared to what he dealt with back when he was a kid. It had frame rail rust that we apparently didn't see! Whoops! I sold it to a friends sister for $1700 and picked up a '88 Turbo Supra.

Well, after the supra I had a '95 J30 and then got one, ONE, of my current Z's. '78 with 102k original miles. Gorgeous car. I love it and have had it since Feb. '08. I thought this was the one I was to keep but I want to go turbo or LSX so it's for sale :(

I picked up my '75 last month up in Woodland Hills for $2500. I bought it from some kid and his dad. Seems like the dad wanted to do the project with his son but the kid didn't like the car. It has a MSA body kit on it that I'm not really a fan of. If anyone wants to make me an offer on it, feel free I'm not asking much. Anyways, it is an original L.A. car and is cleaner than my '78. Needs paint and weatherstripping and the works but it drives great and the suspension has been done so I'm good for now! I'll be 21 in January :flamedevi

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back ground; my dad had a bunch of '55 chevy's, even a '55 Studebaker pickup, so I grew up liking cars. When I was 16 everyone was building fast hondas, but I couldn't get into the front drive stuff. When I expressed those thoughts to a local speed shop opperater he said "Get a z car and put blown small block in it; it'll be cheap, handle well, and really really fast". Ten years later, after owning several z's, here I am building a 240 with a blown v8 (albeit not a small block). Life is funny. I can't wait to finish it, look him up and give him a ride as thanks for the inspiration.

I would also like to thank the members and administrators of this site because the wealth of accessable information is what led me to purchase my first z. A black 110k mile 280zx I picked up at age 20, rip.

Edited by roger280zx
to give thanks

Well i'm 21 years old and recieved my 280Z as gift from my girlfriend for my 19th birthday. She bought it on Ebay for $500 and wanted to keep it a surprise. I loved her for it! :eek: Then the bad news started to roll in, first it was located in WV, about 520 miles away. If you guys remember at this time gas was $4.XX/gal on the East Coast. On top of it I had to got pick it up with my mom's gas guzzling Ford Expedition....:evil: So I get to this guys house and I take a look at my new Z and its a complete rust bucket. No floors, no fenders....basically garbage. I didnt mention it to her and I keep it in my garage, some progress is made but not enough. I just keep cutting rust out and theres almost no Datsun left lol. I spent more $$ bringing up to Jersey then it will ever be worth, I still love it and will never get rid of it. Maybe I will use it for decorative purposes in the future.

I'm 24 and own a '79.5 Z.

I've never been a car guy, always owned "sensible" cars and such. But recently I got convinced to get a sportscar for the chick magnet factor, also a new hobby, way to get involved with new people, etc.

Its all peer pressure, haha.

I cant explain why I always loved the look of the Datsun Z. I am 18 almost 19 and I live out on the foothills of Mt. Hood Oregon.

I've had a 1988 Jeep Cherokee, turns out it was an official US Olympics version and I didn't even realize this until I sold it, it was a super rare 5-speed 4-door. Then I bought a 1988 Chevy Camaro, I was in need of a car and it was $200 so I took it even though it was an automatic. Then I traded the Camaro for a 1983 Chevy K20 3/4 ton pickup with a 454 swapped in it. I've still got the truck to this day.

My first Z is a 280zx, 1983, NA 5-speed. I actually found it on craigslist as I was randomly browsing, I saw 280zx and $500 and clicked the link, when I found out that it ran and drove I quickly snatched it up. I have been working on it and getting into the Z car crowd for quite a while now.

After working with the Z and reading how so many people love the 1970-72 240z's I searched and searched for one but I could never find one, so about a month ago I decided for now it would be easier to get a 84-89 300zx. So I turned my searching from 240z's to the 300zx's and found a near perfect GLL version of an 84 300zx 5-speed. It needs tranny work but will soon become my daily driver.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm 18, but owned my 1970 240z when I was about 16-17. I had loved the Z since I was like 13, and found one sitting in a guys backyard. Asked him if it ran and he said yeah. Asked him how much he wanted for it. He said $300, I told him I'd give him $100 today for it. He agreed and I drove it home. Hell of a deal. :D

Did some work to it then I sold that and my Porsche 944, both of which I bought myself, and got a 300zx Twin Turbo, which I still have. I'm going to get another S30 eventually, just don't have the money to drop into it right now.

I am 21 and have owned my 1978 280z for two years. My dad has a 68 Shelby gt350 which got me into sports cars, we also have been working on a 1955 MGA with a v6 swap. Along with that my friends dad in high school had a 240z which opened my eyes to Datsun's. I started saving and looking around for an early z and came across my current one and bought it for 4500 which was two much but you live and you learn.

Ive been buildilng nissan for 5 years now. I bought an sr20 motor with pistons, rods, cams, valves, springs, almost everything to do a full build. I was buildling the motor for a 510. I started searching for a clean 510 right when I knew what I wanted to do. My buddies and I use to shop at a place called garage kwai. Very friendly and always hooked it up crazy on prices.

Anyway, one day im at home and a friend Im's me on aim with a link to ebay. Sure enough, it was a Rhd 280z with a basic stock sr20 fmic/exhaust in it. It was Chris's car, he was a tech at kwai. Knowing this was a one time opportunity, I grabbed it right away. And now Im trying to build 500whp sr20 z.

I'm 19 and I picked up my zed last year from a friend. At the time I didn't know much at all about zeds but after looking over it and going for a drive I totally loved it! Now I can't get enough of them.

Dad also has a track spec V8 Z32 in the build as well as his steel bodied 34 coupe and 34 roadster. My brother has a 56 (I think) dodge truck too. So cars and hot rodding runs in the blood :burnout:

I'm 26 now.

I grew up in my Dad's 82zx sitting on booster seats to see over the dash. When I was in high school he bought a 73 240z. I joined the Air Force and was living in the dorms and REALLY needed something to work on-besides airplanes. (20yo) Always been into cars, I've had jacked up trucks come and go, worked at a Jaguar resto shop in high school (love e-types but can't afford one) I was looking for a 300TT and ran across a 4color 76 5speed w/96,000, no interior to speak of and got him down to $650! I took it for a drive and it ran like a top. More fun than any other car I had test drove. Plus I could spank my roommate 80's vette-the heavy pig. drove it once and told him to keep it! Just the personality of a Z. I have family with the vet, mustang, etc. I really like them, they're cool cars.They just lack...something. Went over a year just driving doing nothing but new fenders, hood, and spray paint.

Then the head gasket blew.cold engine so no worpage yet she's never been the same. Has never quite been "right" since I took it apart that 1st time. Been together and apart countless time since then. all different I6 motors.stock, turbo(that leaked oil), back to stock-due to cost.

My 3yo girl and 1yo son and I were actually peicing a motor together yesterday. Another generation of car nuts starting early (Ever install a manifold one handed?)

There has been talk of selling for a 60's stang, or some other "family ie back seat" muscle car but it wouldn't be the same. Odd as it is to say, my Z is the only consistant (and longest running) thing I've had. I think sometimes my wife is jealous of my mistress in the garage (at least her car is!)

I love V8 sound and feel, but the way my Z handles and looks, so I'm leaning towards a 302 swap. The kids just might learn about some good old american muscle anyway. I'll keep you posted...

I recieved my Z from my neighbor who had it sitting in his driveway since i was 12. It had an electrical problem as someone wired the alternator wrong.

The interior was in pieces, it had no key, i had no idea if it would start, and it had a whole family of black widows living in it. When i was 15 i bought it from him for 500 dollars. got it running again and lookin clean.

its been with me ever since . i likes it.:mrgreen:

pic:

2045020_3_full.jpg

I recieved my Z from my neighbor who had it sitting in his driveway since i was 12. It had an electrical problem as someone wired the alternator wrong.

The interior was in pieces, it had no key, i had no idea if it would start, and it had a whole family of black widows living in it. When i was 15 i bought it from him for 500 dollars. got it running again and lookin clean.

its been with me ever since . i likes it.:mrgreen:

pic:

2045020_3_full.jpg

75 or 76?

are you legally obligated to have those stickers on the side?

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

well on that note I shall chime in. I got my first 280zx My senior year. I was on the way to a car show with ZXRkid and we saw a 280zxt-top sitting in some rednecks yard and it looked like some one spray painted the hood. (see pic) It was ungodly awful. Had some mexican style red velvet interior. (Not the OEM stuff) rims drilled from a chevy s10. Motor and trans were shot. Got it going and sold it 2 years later for a girl. (never should of sold it) Here I am 22 I have had 12 s130's 7 of them parts cars and now have my first s30 260z with L28

m_244f26ec85585faade85d8aa1b96b6-1.jpg

crappy pic the only one I still have of the car

I still have the hood Baller chick riding a polar bear

I will get pics up of my s30 I have to find them

A long story on how I found the 240z.

Many years ago, there was a local sports event held annually where owners of some beautiful, classic cars would show off, however there was a casualty one year, guy lost control of his car, died, car was totalled, turns out it was a 240z.

Anyway, didnt think about it for years, forgot about it, apart from those beautiful lines...and then I met a guy who became my boss then my best friend, and introduced me to a game, this game had a 240z in it, and I went mental, I was like OMFG THAT'S IT, as I didnt know the name of what it was, even the papers didnt have the name of the car all those years ago, much research later and now Im obZessed.

So a couple of months after my 21st, I found one in Melbourne, bought it, and have had her for just over a year now...but its getting depressing, seeing all my mates in Supras, ZXs, Slowbarus, Skyrines, you name it, and my car has just been...sitting there...where people find the money, at younger ages then I, makes me wonder why I bought her in the first place.

28 now, but i bought my z at 21, still have it. first car was a 76 mgb my dad and i restored, and it gave me an appreciation for sports cars. at some point or another my dad dragged a 280zx home, and suddenly here was a car that not only looked good, but was reliable enough to drive anywhere...something my mg, even with a weber carb, couldn't pull off repeatedly...then i started noticing z cars more and more, and a first generation car made its way to my list of dream cars...but in southern indiana, road salt has destroyed so many cars, and a good z is a rare thing...

years went by and one day in oregon, after missing a flight home, my dad and i drove past a car lot, and there it was...a rust-free, low owner, low mileage 78 280z at a st. vincent de paul thrift store...it had been donated for a tax break three days previously, asking price $1000.

after some haggling, a new battery, tires, and clutch slave cylinder later, i was on my way east. the car drove great, and got comments at every gas station, even more once i got east of the mississippi, where rust has made these cars so rare...

i moved around the country for several years, all of my possessions fitting in my trusty 280z...aside from a mystery glitch which turned out to be a loose ecu connection, the car has never given me any problems. tires and oil changes were all the maintenance it really got, and half-shaft u-joints...

i parked the z a year ago, with 200,000 on the odometer. the body has collected some parking lot dings, but still shines. i pulled the engine, as i was burning a fair bit of oil on the highway, and the clutch had at least 100,000 miles on it...rings, bearings, valve seals, a complete timing kit, clutch, and so on kept me occupied this summer. the engine is reassembled and in place, all that's left is a new radiator and exhaust, some hoses, and i'll be driving it again...when spring rolls around i'll tackle the body work, i'v already begun a bumper swap...(well, a 240 bumper in the front and i'm leaning towards no bumper in the rear, i'll fill holes with welder and fair out...

as i work on my z i watch my dad tinker with his mgb projects, and my brother with his first project, a 57 mga. i like the little cars, and i'll probably do one of my own, but it will park next to my z. i really like the new 370z...but like i told my wife, in 30 years, i'd have likely traded it in for another car long ago, but i'd still own my 280...

sorry to ramble, but a great thread, great cars, and great stories...

• 1 month later...

i purchased my first datsun 280zx (79) in october 2009 from a buddy of mine who is the original owner and finaly bought himself a poreche 911 and just had it chillin in his gerage and i asked him what was his plans for it and he told me buy his next set of golf clubs and its all mine! sweet $500 later i had my 280zx. i purschesd a new interior got it painted and now were preping it to do a 350 blown swap in it, it will be my little VETTE killer :) ive ridden sport bikes for years and now its time to go ffast on four wheels, but outher than that she looks stock with the exception of a extra set of driving lights tucked up under the bumper. i cant wait to get up and put all back together!

,Jeff