HybridZ

Unnatural Aspiration part 3

stony

Its not that big of a deal to put a nice pan and pickup on your car but there is so much Hype on the RB motors. Other than the sound thats about the only good thing about them. I think what your looking for a 2j would be better for you. that extra .4 litre is a lot. I went from a rb26 to a 30 and its a huge difference in torque. Granted i never get to drive it cause its always broke. RB= waste of money compared to the 2j. The way you use your car i would say go for that. Be careful with the thin head gasket depended on your pistons. Watch your quench zone clearance. 

The Hype is real, their great engines. However any time you have an engine that was never in the united states it might require a bit more effort. From my personal experience and i have the little guy (RB25 lower end) it has been nothing short of awesome the last 4 years its been in my car.. The engine has made nearly 500whp all its life, and has been recently turned up to i'd guess around 700whp (street tuned on E85). Its never missed a beat and i'm not nice to it believe me. 8500rpm+

To ZTR, i don't mean to make you mad or piss you off, but how can you possibly knock these engines or discredit them when you went the most expensive route you could possibly go, and then all the related failures you witnessed where all caused by a collapsed hose, you put on it??

I'm not by any means saying the RB engines are superior to the 2J cause there not, however with a few modifications they are great. Anyone that wants long term reliability will build the lower end. Many people have pushed RB26's over the 700whp mark with stock bottom ends, and been successful, many have blown them to bits as well.. People have done the same with the 2JZ, not all of them survive.

Look at full race and their R14 (S chassis with all R32 drivetrain) made 700whp on stock block and its road raced!! harder on an engine compared to any other racing if you ask me. 

Look at Rips going big with their RB30 powered R32 right now, its made 1100 (AWHP) at 24psi!!! thats insane power... 

I guess i just don't like to hear people knock these engines because in reality they are awesome, especially for an engine that was designed in the 80's. Do they have a couple weak spots?? Sure but nothing that cannot be easily corrected.

It is an awesome motor... Just not sure I can justify the cost to rebuild when a stock NA 2J longblock can make more then my motor. Especially when I can go to the pick and pull and get a motor for 150 bucks.  Its gonna be a hard decision. Rebuilding a 2j cost just as much as an rb but I'm not talking about rebuilding.

• 2 months later...

2J IDEA is dead. 

upgrade billet wheel for the t88

New billet wheel for the T88. still and old ass turbo but this should wake it up a bit i hope. 

IMG_20150109_105424_zpsgyloi76v.jpg

20150109_181208_zpsxcla82ga.jpg

Glad to hear personally.  I know 2J's are the rage and with good reason...but I guess I'm just a Nissan purist, I find putting anything other than a Nissan motor in these beautiful cars sacrilegious.  :P  (no offense to those that do...  to each his own!)

• 4 weeks later...

24 valves removed, 24 valves hand lapped, 24 valves re-installed. another thing added to my list of things i don't want to do again. Head is off to get decked today along with getting the rotating assy in the turbo balanced. bearings are here, oil pump cleaned inspected and reassembled.

Things needed, 

1. Set of rings

2. Head gasket

3. Oil pan

4. Rods (I have a stock set but have decided i don't want to limit engine with rods)

5. Misc gaskets

Hope to be completely reassembled by the end of march and ready for first TnT in april. 

24 valves removed, 24 valves hand lapped, 24 valves re-installed. another thing added to my list of things i don't want to do again. Head is off to get decked today along with getting the rotating assy in the turbo balanced. bearings are here, oil pump cleaned inspected and reassembled.

Things needed, 

1. Set of rings

2. Head gasket

3. Oil pan

4. Rods (I have a stock set but have decided i don't want to limit engine with rods)

5. Misc gaskets

Hope to be completely reassembled by the end of march and ready for first TnT in april. 

what oil pump you running? 

what are you doing for oil pan this time around?

Edited by flatrate

yeah there is no real need for them with forged pistons. Or a drag race biased setup.

I noticed your using a cometic gasket, i recently switched to an Apexi gasket after my cometic let go, defintaly a better design. 

I finally dyno'd my setup on E85, i never got even close to the timing you did!! pretty strange. im running about 17 degrees at 30psi