HybridZ

Unnatural Aspiration part 3

stony

Took 1 step forward 2 steps back. Gapped everything at OEM then read the instructions ;> needed to be gapped at .028. Also figured out the gapless rings were installed upside down. Pulled them apart gapped everything and installed the gap-less second correctly this time. Should have short block done tomorrow. now just waiting on the head gasket. apparently 87.5 bore on the gasket is a custom. Didn't figure that out till a week after i ordered the HG. Canx the order now waiting on an 88MM

Gapless 2nd ring? i tried those years ago on another engine and had nothing but trouble with it.

Hopefully you dont have an issue, never understood why they make gapless 2nds 

What head gasket are you using?

Edited by flatrate

The it was explained to me the gapless second does better in high boost situatiins. And since I will be doing 30+psi with a 150 shot.... they said they will work well. Using a 1.1 mm thick 88mm bore cometic.

What Preble ms did you see with yours?

I had smoking issues, it would smoke blue all the time.. my friend had the exact issue, these were both in 400hp honda engines.. years ago.

The 2nd ring is an oil scraper not a compression ring, all a gapless 2nd is going to do is trap pressure between the 2nd and top ring.. Having a gapless top makes more sense Imo, search it I'm not the only one that had issues... people dislike the gapless 2nd..

• Like 1

I have and as many people that I have heard say they had problems I saw just as many that say the love them. We will see. As I mentioned early totalseal.com recommended that way because of the am out of boost I was going to run.

I will get clarification from them on Monday. I had it honed to what the recommended, Gapped all the rings as the directions stated. bore X .008. 

They have said they don't recommend a break in period. i have always put the motor together and got it running then on the dyno tearing it up. We will see what happens this time. 

I had smoking issues, it would smoke blue all the time.. my friend had the exact issue, these were both in 400hp honda engines.. years ago.

The 2nd ring is an oil scraper not a compression ring, all a gapless 2nd is going to do is trap pressure between the 2nd and top ring.. Having a gapless top makes more sense Imo, search it I'm not the only one that had issues... people dislike the gapless 2nd..

For what it's worth I agree with flatrate on this. I looked seriously at gapless top ring and decided against it, everything I saw confirmed the above. Wouldn't consider gapless 2nd. There may be something to be had with this gapless top ring, but largely seems like trying to solve a problem that isn't there to begin with. 2nd ring is always gapped a little looser than the top to avoid flutter on the top ring. I'm using JE pistons with the narrow ring set, metric, steel 1.2mm top, 1.5mm Napier (hooked for oil control like flatrate mentioned) 2nd, 3.0mm bottom. Edited by jpndave