HybridZ

280zx 2+2 Daily Driver

KenshinX

So, I have a chance to scoop up a 83' 280zx 2+2 N/A , for a relatively low price. I am getting it from my dentist. He says its rusted and on its last leg, but from what I remember a couple years ago it really isn't in that bad shape.

The problem:

It has a blown head gasket this is relatively easy and inexpensive to fix. But he doesn't know much about fixing cars and his mechanic quoted him $600.

The question:

How well does the 280zx perform as a DD. Fuel mileage? Any common electrical problems? How well does it ride? BTW this is a N/A. Since, I'm not too familiar with the EFI system is there anything I should look for that fails when a head gasket is blown?

This will hopefully be replacing my 1997 corolla as a DD because I really don't wanna put anymore miles on it. It had 19k when I bought it over a year ago and now has 38k. Which I know is nothing for these cars, but I would like to preserve its value.

I will post pics of the ZX when I get to go look at it.

104_0081.jpg

I think that you will discover that your Corolla makes a much better daily driver. A 97 Corolla will neither appreciate with low mileage, or depreciate much from putting miles on it. The Corolla gets much better mileage on lower grade gas, has airbags, and power steering. It can carry more things more easily and it is more comfortable.

The ZX will be a really fun car, but in the grand scheme of things I think you should consider thinking of it as the sunny day car rather than corolla.

I use my 79 zx as a daily driver during the summer, but it there is a big difference in my other choices as compared to yours. I have a 92 s10 that gets 15-17 miles to the gallon and a 2000 impala that averages 20-27 depending on how often i use the a.c. My datsun gets around 20-24 or as low as 12 depending on how much I get on it, but i also run premium in it, which kinda makes up the difference. I drive it because I prefer it. It is fairly comfortable to drive, I drive it to Grand Rapids and to cadillac, which are both 50 miles from where I live, and I have drove it as much as 100 miles one way. the ride is decent and it is comfortable without being lethargic and boring. But on the other hand I could just as easily drive the s10 that distance for the same price.

i have been driving about 40 miles daily for about a year in my 2+2 and trust me 20-22 mpg is not that fun...

its ok as far as reliability (ive only had one breakdown when a hose on the intake manifold busted) but i just hate putting so many miles on the car and the fact that trucks are getting better mpg than me...

i also daily drive my 79 turbo swapped zx. not by choice but because i wrecked my daily driver. i have to say the car is anything but ideal this time of year in ohio. i hate driving it in the salt and snow and even with a new blower motor the heat is anything but stellar. the car is so much fun to drive... just not in cold temps.

stick with the econo box and dont worry about another 300,000 miles because the car isnt worth anything anyway.

I've been DDing my 83 NA 3 years. I get and average of 24 to 26 MPG but i shift at 2k to 2.5k RPM which from what I hear is abnormal ? it's never stranded me anywhere in the 35k mile I've driven it. I'm at 174k now.

Oh wait! correction I was stranded last thanksgiving because it was wet out and I was messing around and broke the clutch.

I've been DDing my 83 NA 3 years. I get and average of 24 to 26 MPG but i shift at 2k to 2.5k RPM which from what I hear is abnormal ? it's never stranded me anywhere in the 35k mile I've driven it. I'm at 174k now.

Oh wait! correction I was stranded last thanksgiving because it was wet out and I was messing around and broke the clutch.

lol im going to have to start shifting at 2k so i can gets me some of those MPGs

I've gotten 575 miles in one tank of fuel but that's because I had no money and needed to make it last, I went soooo slow everywhere. but I got the NA tranny, stock diff what ever ratio that is and 205/60/15 tires. if that matters. And I don't use the AC

i have the r200 and a 5speed, i should be getting good mpg but i dont for some reason, i think i just need to slow my a$$ down...

Yeah i don't drive fast at all anymore. I guess I actually shift at 2,250 RPM on regular streets and 2,750 RPM on hills and freeways. It's smoother with that little bit extra RPM. I think my rear end is a 3.9. But by no means is this a convenient DD. I hit my airdam all the time, so glad it's not fiberglass.