HybridZ

... and two have become one - a new MIG welder's love story

ShaggyZ

After a relatively frustrating first time welding a couple months ago, I didn't try again until tonight after having decided how I want to fab up mounts for the 2JZ install. I think the problem the first time was the crusty, rusty and thick brake rotor I was practicing with.

Tonight went MUCH better. Welding instructions can be overwhelming; it's the practice that helps me quickly understand what is actually happening so I can problem solve heat and wire feed issues, which I did pretty well in 45 minutes of practicing.

I grabbed whatever scrap metal I had lying around: banged up Integra header, rusty coffee can, a 6ft long 3" exhaust pipe, a 280Z exhaust heat shield, a broken bench vice (mounting tab broke), and a broken tire iron, cross wrench dealie (what are those called?).

I welded a metal tab to a thick piece of the header and even practiced some shallow filling and a "no bottom" fill of a 1/4" hole. Fiddling with the wire feed and heat got me fixed up pretty quick, though I did blow some holes at first.

Moved on to the much thicker metal of the vice and chose not to clean off the paint to see what happens. More heat and speed fiddling and I did a surprisingly good job. Banged on it pretty hard and it didn't budge.

I also practiced on the chromed cross wrench thing and practiced filling on that, too. Welding solid, thick metal is pretty easy, even with the chrome. The filling worked really well, too. Banged on the wrench pretty hard and leveraged it with no budging. I don't know how well it would do in its intended function, but it was only practice.

Moved on to the exhaust pipe and did some butt welding. Started with a couple spot welds with my eyes closed (hand held mask) so I'd have a hand free to hold the pieces in a good place. It held well enough but had to be bent to start a bead connecting the two pieces evenly. One side sucked (the first side) but it's very clear which is the second side - a relatively nice, clean, and consistent bead/worm weld. It's plenty strong, which I found out by setting it up so I could jump on it to try and break it but it just acted like a solid piece of metal (that's the idea).

Then I made what you see below - a heat shield welded to the coffee can welded to the header. I did this for ridiculousness' sake and to try mating different thickness metals and then mix it up a bit by seeing what happens with rust. I blew holes through the coffee can instantly and realized it would probably work better if I "focused"(?) the weld to the thick metal of the heat shield (and the header previously). The coffee can would still get plenty hot to allow the metal to soften and the weld to flow to it and in it. You can't tell from the picture, but that monster stands about 3 feet tall overall. It's structure is as strong as the coffee can... which is actually very weak, but the coffee can would break before the weld.

I did all the welding on my back porch, sitting on ground. I'm pleased with my progress so far, which actually says a lot because I'm very critical of anything I do.

Bit of info: the MIG welder is a Lincoln Electric 140HD I got new and unopened from a guy for $350. He says he got it as a gift but he probably stole it.

I'm feeling a little queasy and high, but I'm not sure if it's the pork chops my wife made or the fumes. I need to set up my fan next time.

IMG_0522_thumb.JPG

LMAO!!! Yes Mr. Teecher I agree!! Ive been an auto tech since 92 and I suppose Ive welded just about everything known to metallurgy together at one time or another and can attest to the power of the poisonous fumes.... Ive always found galvanized steel to be the most offensive metal to weld. Id rate cast iron engine parts the most difficult to repair with a welder. Gettin it hot and weldin it in the proper window of time is not always easy.

FYI, do not weld on chrome or stainless steel without proper ventilation and respiratory protection. The fumes are VERY, VERY not good, i.e. poisonous.

That's good to know. I feel better now. What type of poison are we talking about? In other words, which hospital should I go to? :)

Well the Gal should give you Zinc posioning, which can be a touch rough :-)!!!

But,

"When zinc vapor mixes with the oxygen in the air, it reacts instantly to become zinc oxide. This is the same white powder

that you see on some noses at the beach and the slopes. Zinc oxide is non-toxic and non carcinogenic. Extensive research1

into the effects of zinc oxide fumes has been done, and although breathing those fumes will cause welders to think that they

have the flu in a bad way, there are no long-term health effects. Zinc oxide that is inhaled is simply absorbed and eliminated

by the body without complications or chronic effects."

http://www.sperkoengineering.com/html/articles/WeldingGalvanized.pdf

Still grind of the gal where you are going to weld or buy your steel with weldable primer or just black - welding Gal sucks, not only posionous but not easy to weld either!

Check this link out mate, extremely helpful - lots of little tutorials and they are quick with photos and movies!

http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/tutorial.htm

1st..

Welding stainless isn't poisonous, but it does give off hexavalent chromium, which is a carcinogen.

Essentially, you'll want to wear a respirator under your helmet. Hexavalent chromium is what gives stainless steel it's corrosion resistance. It is given off during welding, grinding, and some dipping processes. When welding chromium will rise in the smoke cloud, and will drop back down in the area. Just make sure not to keep food in the area, and wash your hands after working with it. Also, it can cause skin irritation and will be on the cloths you weld in.

Essentially, everything in this world will kill you, just use your noggin, and maybe a respirator when welding stainless, galvanized and zinc plated parts.

Also, clean metal is the best thing for welding. Dirt, paint oxidation and anything else cause weld contamination.

Also, even if it is not really toxic, Zinc Fume Fever sucks. it's way worse than the flu, lemme tell ya. Also, it CAN kill you, although it is not common nor easy to off yourself with zinc fumes. we're talking 2hr+ of a thick white fog of Zinc fumes...

Know what you are welding, and know what it can do to you. Best way to be safe about it.