HybridZ

Started my mold

MastersMechanic

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Master,

What type of mold do you plan on doing?.. A reverse or are you going to pull glass or other down over the top of what you made in a vacuum bag? I make molds for much smaller stuff and use ABS and Carbon Fibre as the materials to make the item..

I made a foam dash and glassed it, but I never finished it completely. I also did a center console a long time ago but again, the car got put on the back burner.. Now that I have more time, I plan on making all kinds of unique stuff for the Z.

Myron

What kind of mold? Well since I am new to this stuff I plan on finishing the front end just the way I want it, and then use that ASX (I think it is like spray on plastic wrap and makes the fiberglass pull right off) and then fiberglass over the top of the spray and when I pull it I hope it will be good enough for a mold. Just me thinking, never done it before hopefully it works?

Based on how I'm reading it, you plan on glassing over the top of what you have made and then pulling the "mold" out and then attaching the the glassed portion to the vehicle? IF so, your gonna have a slightly oversized front part. If its your first rodeo, I would get on youtube and look at some mold making videos.. There is some pretty good stuff out there and I would suggest trying some smaller stuff before tackling such a large part. Making molds is very tedius and time consuming and if you fubar a mold or buck it can be really frusterating!

Myron

Based on how I'm reading it, you plan on glassing over the top of what you have made and then pulling the "mold" out and then attaching the the glassed portion to the vehicle? IF so, your gonna have a slightly oversized front part.

Myron

I don't see how the final part will be over sized. If you make the mold correctly, it will spit out a mirror image part of what the mold was made from. This is how molds are made. You make a model of the part, and then wax it, gel coat, and then 3-4 layers of glass for strength. Pop the original model from the mold, trim, wetsand any imperfections, and you are ready to produce more parts.

Yes, that is the correct way, but the wording looked a bit to me like he was just going to make a "buck" and just glass over it and use that part to attach to the car... I have made alot of molds for small UA's (unmanned aircraft) and done a fair amount of carbon fiber and Kevlar parts as well.

Myron

• 2 weeks later...

Well I took a few weeks off to catch up on some other projects(and being sick stupid flu bugs anyway). I went out today and finished up the right side of the foam so hopfully no more foam work I'll start the bondo work and glazing later this week(I hope :-!) then it'll be time for fiber glass work.

Had my yearly tazer training maybe the 5 second ride on the white buffalo will jump start me to finishing this project :wink:

I think it comes down about 2" too low but it's definitely coming together. It's kinda like one of Bob Ross' paintings where he starts out with some beautifully scenery and RUINS it by putting in more happy trees... a few strokes later you say "Bob, you genius!" That cycle repeats several more times through one painting. Wow us with final execution.

I really like your work, but I don't care for the design much at all.

If you could some how tranfer the lines of a 350z front end onto the front of an old Z, that would be interesting.

I edited a pic to make it like that, if i find it, ill edit it into this post

Well I put my first layer of filler over everything, I am using my brothers advise and using spackle mud. It sands fast be easy to remove after I am done with the template, but is slow drying. here are some pics.

You should use plaster paris then. Its like spackle but drys quick. Might be a little more price, but not by much. Its the same stuff that they do loss wax castings. Can get it at home depot for like $20-$30 last time I checked (couple years ago :P)