HybridZ

L28 with L24 head and carbs?

L67z

I remember when my Dad overwound his original L24 engine back in the 80s he went right out and got an L28 and stuck his cyl head and other parts on it and I remember the car runnin mabye 14.50s in the 1/4 mile and perhaps saw as much as 150 mph top speed. He had some strange aftermarket type mikuni carbs and a hi po cam in it....retarded cam timing I think I remember..... The stupid little car would actually pull the right front tire off the ground when he'd jab the throttle a few times. Is this a common setup for N/A guys or was it out of the ordinary? Just interested in you fellas opinions on that combination.

:fmad: A lot of people are running that setup right now. I am running a L28 block w/dished pistons with a modified E-31 head w/cam/headers/triple 45mm DCOE Webers. It is getting ready to go down for a refreshment of pistons and rings (40 over with flat top pistons). It should help it a little and hopefully I will not have to run premium gas.:mrgreen:

Its very cool to get a reply on this thread cuz its a combo ive remembered and thought was a good idea for 20+ years. Any idea what kind of hp your car is making? Just curious Im obviously on an entirely different path but I would very much like to find another old z(I consider 70-74 my personal favorite) and restore it with a setup like you have. My 3800 s/c z project is gonna be an awesome insanely fast Gmachine but it wont be the same. One day Ill need to build my own purist/type nissan powered z. These cars are as much a part of me as the Buicks Ive also come to modify because Dad had them too. Ive had 455 skylark GS cars.... 67w a 430ci 400turbo, 69 with a later 455 smog motor(still torquey!) A 70 gs 455 cam intake headers holley....the list goes on and on. Ive always dreamed of a zcar with a Buick engine although im surprized it took so long and ended up a v6 s/c. One day the 6 will get old and I will put a 455 in it. This year Ill flog the 3800 with a 200 shot and see how long it lives!

• 4 months later...
:fmad: A lot of people are running that setup right now. I am running a L28 block w/dished pistons with a modified E-31 head w/cam/headers/triple 45mm DCOE Webers.

What compression do you have now using the L24 head on the L28 block?

Thanks!!