HybridZ

5spd Rebuild Kit

Nismo280zEd

Found this site tonight.

http://www.importdrivetrain.com/store/customer/home.php?cat=526

Synchro kits for 60 bucks and bearings for 60 bucks for the 5spd 280z

Having never rebuilt the Z transmission before... Is a homemechanic able to replace the bearings or are they all pressed on and have to be installed at a machine shop?

-Ed

I've rebuilt two 5speeds so far, one being the 240sx, the other 280zx. While they are pressed on pretty good, it's pretty easy to tap them on and off. A gear puller can help in this situation as well.

I found with putting new bearings and syncro's in, that the hard part was remembering HOW it all went together, not actually doing the work.

I've rebuilt two 5speeds so far, one being the 240sx, the other 280zx. While they are pressed on pretty good, it's pretty easy to tap them on and off. A gear puller can help in this situation as well.

I found with putting new bearings and syncro's in, that the hard part was remembering HOW it all went together, not actually doing the work.

This part scares me as well, lots of photos before complete disassembly I'm hoping will aid in the process. Thanks for the information. I need to rebuild my 240sx 5spd aswell, syncro's are about toast.

-Ed

• 2 weeks later...

I went through this when rebuilding a 5spd about three months ago. I bought a rebuild kit from Autozone that had all the correct bearings (good quality Koyos), seals, and the gasket for the front cover. They also have repair instructions that I used and they were real close to correct for me. I own several pullers, and now a new shop press (another story that involves a transmission), but only used a cheap puller to do mine. Just take your time, stack the gears, spacers, bearings, etc in the order they come off, facing the direction they came off, or put scribe marks on them to keep them facing the correct direction. I dont remember having to use heat to get anything apart or together, but sometimes it helps. If there is a transmission shop near you, they can help with the pressing on/off of bearings if you cant do it yourself. Here is a link to the Autozone kit, and on the same page is a link to the detailed diagrams and repair instructions.

• 6 months later...

Awesome Zcarnut! you F-n rock man! So if i have a 77 stock 5-speed trans its probably the FS5W71A according to this sites rebuild guide so my part numbers would be DTS-BK104==>$ 76.65 (w/o syncros) and than DTS-BK104AWS==>$144.84 that doesn't seem very bad priced does anyone have any background with the kit? they mention that

5th synchro ring is a black fiber ring (crush style)' date=' not available with kit 5th synchro ring is a black fiber ring (crush style), not available with kit [/quote'] so i suppose the next step is to find that component :D everything is starting to work out and make a little more sense day by day