HybridZ

240z Speaker Brackets

aziza z

I need the brackets that hold the two back speaker in place on the early 240z (series 1 I believe). You know, those early model ones that had two speakers in the back quarter panels of the car pointing towards each other in the trunk? I need a pair of those. Shipped to 92627 Costa mesa ca.

You could make them fairly easily. The ones in my '72 and just flat sheetmetal thats been cut to fit.

Yea I thought about it. That was plan b. There wouldn't happen to be a template online or dimensions I could base it off of would there? Would like a stock piece or even a replica of a stock piece.

I just finished making my own speaker bracket. I posted for a used one here with no results. Finally I just traced the original one on a scrap of plastic from TAP Plastic ($1). After about 1/2 hr of sabre saw and drilling holes a match was made.

By the way several comments were made here about the poor placement of the speakers, near the extreme rear of the car and facing each other, but I found that overall sound is not hampered at all. And besides the placement in back of the plastic panels is clean looking.

The only problem is if you don't have an original bracket to get a pattern from.

Installing the speaker on the RT rear was tight because of the gas vapor hoses located there, but it worked. Also seal the speaker and bracket with foam wherever they touch the bracket and panels.

good luck.

One thing I forgot to mention is that most new 2 way speakers have the tweeter in the center which rises above the the perimeter.

They are supposed to be top mounted so that the speaker grille sits on the outside of the interior panel of the car. I mounted my speakers in back of the panel and used washers to further space the speaker in back of the panel so the tweeter was closer to being flush with the interior panel.

My installation did not use the speaker grilles but used the original holes that were in the panel to let the sound out.

There is a slight bulge in the interior panel that really is not apparent unless you are really looking for it.