HybridZ
Gollum

Gollum's DD L28ET 75'

Nice, glad you made it! Trekkor and crew always run a great event. A few of my coworkers went (the silver S2000 in the background of your photo and the other in a Model 3). I'll be running at Sonoma Drift for the first time this coming Wednesday, in case you or @stupid_fast plan to be there. :) 

Gonna guess that radiator is from an LSx vehicle.

I was a bit surprised at the number of Teslas present. We ended up working the course at the same spot as a couple in a Tesla.

I'd love to turn up Wednesday actually for Wednesday Night Drags, just to put a time down but not sure I can swing that this week. If so I'll have to dig around to see if I still have a number to reach you at.

Oh, and that's a nope on the radiator. In the ballpark at least, but no.

@Leon Hit me up on facebook

https://www.facebook.com/nathan.shobe.94

I didn't get any email :-(

If you get this soon enough, we can meet up for a late lunch/early dinner if you're heading to the track early enough. I work in San Rafael lately and I'm crossing 37, so I can meet up on either side of 37.

More parts for upcoming powertrain swap:

image.thumb.png.492b225bb557399cd6ac72e90c840b13.png

If you're on facebook you might know what this is and what's going in front of it.

Also, bottom radiator mount is made, and upper support replacement welded in (and likely to be redone at a later date). Need to fab some upper hold downs and finish off the hoses before cars and coffee this next weekend.

image.thumb.png.dd15355bfc25967d1ec531e85c3c53be.png

Update:

So I got the radiator "good enough" to make it to cars and coffee.

image.thumb.png.681c7fed7da4cabf13c07298f2a66217.png

The next weekend was spent tearing into the donor car and bringing parts home.

image.thumb.png.917d455843aafbc767439c27ea16b25e.png

image.thumb.png.3d7914f1d35cbb86cb0261f352b82339.png

image.thumb.png.39d4457fbbe93f1daa210341890770ba.png

It's a 2003 Crown Vic PI motor. Heads were ported and polished by the venerable Modular Head Shop (MHS). This is their stage 2 package, so it should be good for 320+whp with appropriate supporting mods. As far as mods, that's not the factory intake or TB/Elbow. I'll be running OEM manifolds for fitment, so I'll be giving up 10-20hp there from what I could make, but I think 310-320whp might still be achievable without much drama.

Along with just the motor I've got the harness, throttle cable (and pedal), full exhaust from the car (never ran), and engine cradle (that sadly doesn't fit very well, will have to cut and reweld some of it), fuel pump module driver, marauder MAF (will run SD+MAF), and other various bots and doohickies.

So in what "spare" time I have before Christmas break starts at work, I'm going to see if I can get this thing at least close to ready to drop in, which means getting the wiring harness roughed out enough for me to be ready to pin the ECU side, along with handing the plumbing. I might delete the EGR just to save the output and reduce complexity, and I'm not going to have a heater so I need to reroute those lines. I also need to order the appropriate idler wheel and belt to delete the AC and PS accessories.

Summary of justifications:

Most of you know or can see I've been on hybridz a long while. You can dig through all my posts, and you can see I've long supported the L28ET swap for it's budget and potential. I still have a warm spot in my heart for the L engine. But they're not nearly as widely available as they used to be. I want to race this car. Maybe not super competitively, but I don't want to miss half or all of a season because of blowing a motor and struggling to find another combo to put back into the car. The more you modify your L engine, the more difficult it will become to replicate it. By swapping to the modular V8, and specifically using the MT82, I've future proofed myself for a long time to come. Sure this one is ported and camm'ed, and thus difficult to replace 1:1, but a 260whp mill is available all day every day right now. In the long run, the 5.0 will be just as available (nearly already is as easy to get a hold of) and the prices will not be outrageous. The 5.0 has the same mounts, so the main hurdles to swap to the coyote platform will be new mid pipes for the exhaust, and converting to e-throttle. All in all, I don't even WANT huge power numbers for the NASA class I plan to run in long term, so having a readily available factory mill I can just plop in has huge value for me. Someone at cars and coffee suggested the SR instead. I think that really shows how much some people won't get it. The weight savings if a turbo 4 is of interest, sure, but reliability and availability are king in budget independent racing. The SR might live a long while at 250-300whp, but I'd have to always keep a spare motor on hand, and I'd rather not dedicate garage space to spare engines.