HybridZ

new Z joins the 1tuffz family!

i purchased a z from a fellow hybrid member and when it arrived i had my paint guy come over so we could discuss 'the plan'. anyway, he discovers the car was halved [meaning it was rear ended at some point in its life and had a donor clip grafted on just behind the rear seats. at that point i think he realized i was going to either part or sell the z. he now wants it to restore for himself-knowing that he can perform the labor to 'make it right' and look great. so we swap that z, some parts to make it whole and i pay for materials. was a great deal for us both.

every panel on jade was dented-we think either with a baseball bat or crow bar or both. battery had leaked, creating a large hole under the battery box and rotting the floor pan support. charley from zedd findings shipped me a new pan support, he used an old dodge neon hood to patch the hole under the battery tray and done. i also had him weld all the holes from the aftermarket a/c lines, install a patch panel in the right dog leg and smooth the right lock hole [gives me a spare door lock!].

dog leg before

gallery_176_797_9774.jpg

and after [awaiting paint]...

med_gallery_176_797_67154.jpg

battery box during re-construction...

med_gallery_176_797_202759.jpg

i'll post pics of some of the panel work. he did an amazing job. also, notice the hatch is a [not really] series 1. actually it is a later 240z hatch and we mounted the vents from a series 1 to make it look authentic without the duct work.

left rear quarter during repair

med_gallery_176_797_179497.jpg

right quarter-another 'dent'

med_gallery_176_797_106260.jpg

the 'inspector' toby-paint & body guy jason's son. notice the lock removal in progress

med_gallery_176_797_113540.jpg

and the original window sticker! it along with owner manual and paperwork came with the z.

med_gallery_176_797_2475157.jpg

in case you are unable to read the numbers and such; $3596 base price, $75 dealer prep & handling, $15 destination for a grand total of $3686! was sold by godding & clark motors in gainsville, fl. came into the us via jacksonville by truck. vin is hls3019296. jan 1971 car.

Edited by 1 tuff z

• 3 weeks later...

got an idea to open/modify the stock exhaust a bit. so, ordered v-band connectors and had one welded to the end of the stock downpipe. it will allow easy assembly & dis of the exhaust from the downpipe. plans are for a 2.25" exhaust, intermediate muffler/resonator and ansa tips [came with the z]. next step is to powdercoat hi heat satin black to match the stock manifold.

here is a pic of downpipe and v-band stuff

med_gallery_176_797_402072.jpg

close-up

med_gallery_176_797_1774298.jpg

cool looking end view

med_gallery_176_797_228431.jpg

same car, they are probably out of order but some before and after shots. if i was more computer proficient or had more time i'd have them in order but alas i am not...

perhaps i should charge my children with managing this thread, after all it will be theirs once complete!

here is a pic of our near complete engine bay. painted the rad today, hung it, attached upper and lower rad hoses, rubber fuel lines, ignition coil & ballast resister and a few other odd smaller parts...

med_gallery_176_797_2753955.jpg

need to mount/install; windshield washer bottle & lines, front turn signals, headlights, some rubber parts and exhaust downpipe. probably a hundred other parts i can't remember as well.

Edited by 1 tuff z

• 11 months later...

Some updates-we've been doing some work [finally] on the green z again. Summer break will be here shortly [kids have their finals this coming week] and we can really dive back in. In the past 2 weeks we've tackled the rear suspension and are ready to compete it's install. Next will be diff, driveshaft, gas tank [got the ss straps correctly 'bent' and rubber straps adhered. Need to paint the tank and get new hoses so she isn't a leaker. Then onto the rear brakes, bolt on the wheels and get her back on all 4's again. Install head & tail lights, front & rear glass then, finally, tackle the interior. Here are a few pics...

med_gallery_176_797_1653010.jpg

Emma [our youngest-nearly 15 told me that a bunch of black stuff came out of her nose when she blew it the other day-after painting the wheel wells...guess I should have given her a mask. She & Alan [nearly 17] did a great job painting!

med_gallery_176_797_1909111.jpg

med_gallery_176_797_1050954.jpg

At some point in it's life the original tank was taken to a radiator/gas tank shop in Florida and I believe they added that strange drain you see in the lower right corner. Not sure why. Tank is in pretty decent condition - just needs a bit of paint to look pretty.

Edited by 1 tuff z

Love the green and gold. I went with the same theme on my car. Even have the same wheels. :-) And a black interior.

I wish I had a father that had worked with me on restoring a car. I bought my first Z at 16 and then had to figure out how to work on it myself. Thank God for the Internet and resources like HybridZ or I never would have had a running car. Funny thing is I actually taught my dad how to work on cars. Now he does his own brake jobs and maintenance on his cars.

• 3 weeks later...

We have about 10 days until the ZCCR show we'd like to premier the z at. Gonna be tight.

Got some emblems today, insured-registered-licensed it yesterday [was a bit nervous as it was purchased over 3 years ago, out of state title and wasn't sure if-with NY dmv it would all go through ok]. Installed the taillights & trim, exhaust tips back from powdercoater and laid on the new Ansa decals & stripe. Haven't touched much on the interior except for replacing the old, faded and ugly multi-colored butterscotch interior. Earlier this week we tacked the headliner, windshield header and a-pillar trim. Had pulled black from a parts z a few years back and it all went in pretty well.

I've tasked my daughter Emma [our youngest] with the chronological album to document the resto from start to [someday] finish-for the show. She's the most creative in our family and best suited for the job!

Old Army buddy arrives today for a long weekend visit and I know that we'll get a bunch done with him here [thanks Jim!].

Glass guy is coming tomorrow afternoon to install front & rear windows [son Alan is cleaning the stainless trim & windows as I type this].

Punch list;

Headlight install, heater hoses then rad fluid, put in some gas, buy battery [then crank it over!], install door lock, door mirrors, heater control panel, steering wheel, clamshell, carpeting, seats, door panels, lock knobs, trim tranny tunnel for 5speed clearance, install series II console, interior trim panels [need to check that all the lights, etc. work ok before buttoning it all up], drive to exhaust shop and have exhaust bent.

I'm certain I'm missing a ton but think that covers most of it.

Wish us luck!

Ansa tips restored [need to touch up the orange a tad]

med_gallery_176_797_177085.jpg

med_gallery_176_797_74536.jpg

New [used] black vinyl going in, then headliner...

med_gallery_176_797_468599.jpg

Alan and his friend Patrick wrestling with the headliner

med_gallery_176_797_312854.jpg

Gas tank with ss straps

med_gallery_176_797_515163.jpg

• Like 1

Put in too many hours this past week-took Thurs & Fri off, my friend Jim [old Army buddy] came to visit from Minnesota-he's a car guy too. We worked on the z many hours from Thurs thru Sunday. Fired it up Friday [after determining the points were bad-thanks to Evilz and Cygnus for their diagnostic help] and took it for a quick drive up our street. Brakes feel pretty good-car is very loud as there is no exhaust yet [just the stock manifold & downpipe]. Speedo does not work-seems to be the drive worm gear in the tranny is slipping-aargh! Need to put the interior together, exterior is nearly complete-will post some pics when we get it washed. Using Integra seats & the 240sx seat belts but, of course, since they are not OEM they're not a simple bolt in for proper fitment.

Glass guys came and installed front & rear windows-nice work and didn't bugger up my new gaskets or the ss trim!

med_gallery_176_797_209006.jpg

med_gallery_176_797_746673.jpg

med_gallery_176_797_1319812.jpg

Edited by 1 tuff z

Installed the Vataloni Californian mirrors today, fired it up, got a few gallons of gas then drove to drop off "Jade" [not sure if the kids have decided that the name is final but we're getting close] at the exhaust shop. Current exhaust is stock manifold, stock downpipe with a v-band welded on the end. They'll run the pipe from there to the Ansa tips I had restored and call it a wrap. Pick it up Thursday, do as much as we can over the next 2 days and premier it at the ZCCR all import show this Sunday. Don't think we'll get the interior finished but...

pics from the exhaust shop-before

med_gallery_176_797_267384.jpg

like this one

med_gallery_176_797_1377221.jpg

med_gallery_176_797_93155.jpg

Edited by 1 tuff z

Focusing on the exterior for now-specifically what you can see standing [:)]. Still need to spray the front fender wells, undercarriage & such but really running out of time. Speedo isn't working-think the tranny speedo drive gear is missing the drift pin [stuck my finger in after pulling the speedo driven gear and it spins easily], gas tank has a leak and will need to be pulled. Funny, it didn't leak until I went over 6 gallons-think but hoping not, but may be the seam. Still have to tackle the interior but most likely will only get seats & console. Will try for carpet kit [have it] and plastic panels but may not have the time. Can't believe how much time it's taking to put it all back together.

Green and Gold, looking good. You've come a long ways. You should address some of those weak paint areas underneath since you live in NY. Wouldn't want it rusting away, after all that work.

What kind of adhesive have you used on your interior (over doors) pieces?

I bought a professional adhesive that comes in a can from the upholstery shop (either sprayable or applied with a brush), and now 10 months later, the vinyl trim started to detach :-(. I am not sure if it is because of the 100F weather here or if I applied it in a wrong fashion.

Regards!

Just returned from the exhaust shop-they did a very nice job and it sounds great. Was going to post info on the adhesive we used for the headliner but when I sat in the z noticed something hitting my head...headliner needs to be glued again. Think we'll go with a different adhesive.

Too much left to do before the show this Sunday [7/15/12] but will get the most important done first.

Got the hatch panel installed

Tweaked the oe mount slotted holes for the Integra seat finished on the passenger side

Played a bit more with the pass seat belt-think I got it right this time, now on to the driver side

Finished the right door, plastic installed [we used collision shop wrap-they put it on crashed cars to seal them from the weather while they sit outdoors awaiting estimates, fixing, etc.] & worked great, door panel in!

Still need to do

set idle & timing

install seat belts, seats & door panels

center console

carpeting-if time allows

then the interior panels & more

New exhaust pic

med_gallery_176_797_1172478.jpg

med_gallery_176_797_372361.jpg

Edited by 1 tuff z

Kids washed 'Jade' yesterday and cleaned the plastic interior panels. Headliner decided NOT to stay in place-few more steps backward.

Finally finished the seatbelts [240sx donated] and they work great.

This shows the extender Jimmy Z made for me [he's the cnc billet z parts guy] for the receiver, next pic shows the retractor-stock z location

med_gallery_176_797_70535.jpg

med_gallery_176_797_284203.jpg

Alan began waxing and Emma finished the photo album [sort of in chronological order] and I installed the console, set the timing and tried to fix the exhaust leak where the downpipe mates to the exhaust manifold without success.

Show is tomorrow and Jade is nearly ready for her big debut! Interior will not be finished but she will look good!!

Edited by 1 tuff z

Car show today and first drive other than down our cal-de-sac short street. Z ran flawlessly for the 25 minute cruise to the show. Unfortunately we arrived too late for judging, think my son Alan was bummed [as was I] that we weren't judged. Figured we'd get either paint or engine bay at least. Next we'll get back to the interior [once this heat wave departs] and work on the smaller details we didn't have time for.