HybridZ

Headlight options.

Pharaohabq

So I was driving today, and noticed a New Mini cooper behind me. I didn't notice it for the car, but for the headlights. I was thinking "Hmm those look like they're about the same size as the lights on my S30." So I wonder how hard would it be to fab a set of Mini Cooper headlights into an S30? like I said they look similar in size...

Has anyone modified the S30 buckets to fit different lights. I guess I need to get some photoshop skills.

Phar

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I spent a few hours staring at the front of my Z trying to figure out how to mount different headlights in there :-)!!!

Problem is where the Bumper-Bar and Hood Mechanisms are attached!

To put in more modern wrap around style headlights, actually any sort of modern headlight you need more room then what is available at the front of the Z, those nose cone areas are tiny!

So I figured I would have to remove the section that the Hood Mechanisms and Bumper-Bar bolt to - easy..............

But then I figured would have to change the way the Hood opened, front to back, instead of opening up at the back, this was because I would have to create some sort of custom front end to properly integrate the new front headlights!

This caused me concern as it was worried how I would fit a latch mechanism in the front of the Z and where I would put the Hood mechanisms because the battery and Brake Booster would get in the way,

Then I realised I would have to whip up a new bonnet for all of this as I would have removed the front supports and to make the new headlight look any good I would need to integrate them properly,

Thats when I gave up :-)!!!

But, if you could find a light that actually fit into the nose cone area of the original head lamps that would be a much easier solution!!!

These cooper lights have a small back end to them so they still might work. I was thinking they may have to sit forward in the Z headlight bucket a little anyway. They are round, but laid back offset a little. I wonder if I can find one on Ebay or somewhere to play with it. I dont' want to mess with changing the hood hinges or any of that. I was thinking to mount these behind a set of the S30 headlight covers so is keeps the shape, but then has all the advantages of the modern headlight.

Phar

Anyone got photoshop skilz?

Anyone got photoshop skilz?

I'll try to throw something together later today, It's mostly the angle that I'm worried about. Do you have a spare set of buckets? I think you should buy a lens and check it out :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/04-05-06-07-BMW-Mini-Cooper-OEM-headlight-LH_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1171Q7c66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318Q7c301Q3a0Q7c293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem320344273716QQitemZ320344273716QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

sadly I don't have a spare set of buckets. That lens is a good find, tho wow the cooper lights are really deep. I wonder if they'd fit at all. I'm a little worried about the angle too.

This is a later project for me now. I need to get my engine back in the Z.

Phar

• 4 weeks later...

Well I had a little spare time, and I used a picture of Austin's (Ahoke) 240z.

I photoshopped the mini lights into it, but I need to measure a mini bulb and see if it's a similar diameter. I think the S30's use 7 and 1/4 in bulbs.

Phar

ahoke280zmini.jpg

• 3 months later...

i also have thought of doing such to my zx. i do not think you will be able to craft this with out the bucket lens covers. also you would need to build a custom rig to hold a light bucket at the right angle needed for proper alignment before mounting to the car (face it alot of testing will be needed before actual mount testing). since i too thought of the mini as a good option, i came to the conclusion that you would need to basicaly gut the mini's head light housing and modify it to the z/zx bucket, using the z/zx bucket lens cover as the new lens not to forget the molding for weather and seal it up to be water tight. the bucket will then just be the light assembly like a modern car instead of the oem styling of yester year. although it sound fairly easy it will be like pulling teeth, i am holding off on this mod till i get my zx where i want it performace wise inside and out before i start it. i have bigger fish to fry first .....

yeah, it's a lot easier to make them look good in photoshop than IRL. Soon as I get a little closer I'm going to start working on this. I've got a fiberglass headlight bucket one of my friends was going to toss, so I'll now have something I can play with, without mucking up my stock bucket. The Mini cooper lights are my first choice, but they might be too large. other choices include:

Mercedes,

jaguar,

BMW

Jeep

Volkswagon

all these mfg have cars that could work, but really I'm thinking it's going to be a cut and mould situation, likely having to build a custom housing to fit. I've got some glassworking friends that might help me make some pyrex lenses to seal into the bucket.. not cheap tho, so I'd need the plan before making any...

Phar

We got these ugly little buggers as used imports from japan. Its called a ford laser lynx and is basicly a mazda 323 underneath.

http://www.ausmicro.com/forum/vbpicgallery.php?do=big&p=303

I alway did think that the head lamps would work well will a z. I was going to use the front turn signals on the front end I fabricated but theywere expensive to buy and not that easy to do.

Douglas

• 2 years later...

I own a mini (currently trying to sell it) and a Z... And coming from the mini community, I wouldn't recommend this swap. Wiring will likely be more difficult than you'd think, and headlights cost a fortune for minis. The dapper lighting kit would be a better option IMO. At least that's what I'm planning on getting for my Z.

The dapper hids are ridiculously amazing, i honestly wouldnt own another z/zx (or car with 7" rounds) without them, they not only look great, they work amazingly, never had any issues with mine that i got almost 2 years ago and been daily driving the car since.

Haha so glad to hear this. I can't wait till I'm at the stage of installing them... I have so much left to do before then.

The dapper hids are ridiculously amazing, i honestly wouldnt own another z/zx (or car with 7" rounds) without them, they not only look great, they work amazingly, never had any issues with mine that i got almost 2 years ago and been daily driving the car since.

Can we see some pictures or video of them on at night, and some of them lighting up the road while driving please.