HybridZ

Headlight options.

Pharaohabq

That's the system I have on my car right now.  The low beams are definitely nice but I have an issue right now with the passenger side going dark when I select high beam,  Fortunately the driver side goes to high beam so I wouldn't go totally blind.  I'm exchanging emails with Nick at Dapper and also PM'd Ben about it.  Nick seems to think it's a diode issue - either in backwards or not working.  I'm going to check it out tomorrow.  I'm trying to get the car ready for the Canby swap meet this weekend.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, reversing the diode caused me to lose both low and high beams on the passenger side.  Removing it I have low beam and no high beam, like when the diode was in the original position.  Dapper is sending me some more diodes to try.  If that doesn't work I was told Ben would probably talk with me about it since he's the in-house Z expert. :-)

Well, the diodes didn't fix the issue.  I've been referred to Ben and he is in Israel right now.  I'm supposed to call them back tomorrow to see if they've been able to contact him and, if so, what he has to say.  The problem is I let someone else put this system together rather than just doing it myself.  I'd know all the nuts, ballasts & diodes of it if I had.  I foresee the passenger side front end of my car coming apart in the near future.

That stinks. I just got my Tracking info from FedEx from Dapper, so my headlights should be here on Monday. I got the new larger HID halo version that I'll wire up to only come on with the parking lights and not all the time. I'm currently rewrapping the whole body harness, so I'll be adding the power wire in it with the GM corrugated wiring loom. No solid electrical tape this time!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, you just have to love getting new parts at your front door.  I'm not usually the kind of person to get excited about anything that doesn't make my car faster or handle better, but after seeing the Dapper Lights in person and thinking about the long, dark 2-lane roads to and from Sebring, I thought some good lighting is in order. (for safety and they look cool)  Time to wire them up and finish the body harness and go have some fun.  Getting close!!  :)

post-505-0-77393500-1435349736_thumb.jpg

You'll probably have yours up and running before I do. :(  I still haven't resolved the issue with the passenger side high beam but that's primarily because we're in a 2 week 100+ heat wave and I don't have AC in my garage - yet.  Oh yeah - and I have about a dozen honey-dos to knock out first.  Then there's my son's wedding on 7/11 so I'm a bit distracted.

• 5 weeks later...

The install process of the Dapper Lighting units was pretty quick and easy.  I plan to have the halo rings come on when I have the parking lights on, as I don't care to have them on all the time. (just me)  I have yet to wire them up, as I am currently going through the entire body harness and adding that wiring inside the harness to make it look OEM.  I have to say that they certainly give a more modern look to our classic Z cars.  Nice quality, for sure. 

post-505-0-63976800-1438021929_thumb.jpg

post-505-0-69257800-1438021935_thumb.jpg

post-505-0-43338800-1438021941_thumb.jpg

Haven't had a chance to check it yet but spent some time with the headlight circuit diagram that Ben at Dapper sent me.  Shop wired the drivers side per the 240Z installation instructions that is on they Dapper website.  Problem probably is that the 280Z wiring is different. Now I need to pull both front wheels, fender liners, and all the electrical tape off the wiring and redo both headlight plugs per the 280Z circuit diagram.  That will probably fix it.  

Don't you love self-induced problems?

• 1 month later...

My new Willwood rotors and pads came in a short while ago so I got with a buddy in his shop and did the brake swap and also worked on the headlights.  I pulled out the FSM and rewired the headlight plugs per the manual.  The only issue is that the drivers side was supposed to have a red/yellow wire and mine was just red so I wasn't sure if the red was the substitute for the red/yellow or the red/white which was maybe the red/yellow? Anyway, wired the red/black and red/white where the FSM said to put them and then put the red where the red/yellow was supposed to go.  Fired it up and got low beams and no high beams.j  Crap!  So I switched the red and the red/white and tried again.  Blew both the headlight fuses.  Double crap!  Put the two wire back where they were and then went to O'Reilly's and bought a box of 10 amp fuses. After I cleaned all the repair parts out of the car I opened up the fuse panel again and replaced the two fuses, started the car and then the lights worked on both low and high beam. YES!  Only thing i can figure is that one of the fuses was already blown and some power was bleeding through the system to one of the sides and allowing me to have low beams but not high on one side.  Anyway, the Dapper lights seem to be good so now I can see in the dark and stop if there is something in front of me.

• 2 weeks later...