HybridZ

Lowrider's 260z

Hello, Hello! Update time!

I had bought a Apexi turbo timer off of eBay, and finally received it from Hongkong. Install went fairly smoothly, I disliked the idea of splicing the ignition switch to install the timer so I raided a few late 70's pickups in the local pull-a-part for some connectors that I could make an adapter harness out of. Made the harness, and mounted the control unit in front of the map light. I ran into a problem with the ignition switch engaging the starter. I did some searching and ran across this thread: http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/84673-ignition-switch-starting-circuit-turbo-timer-install/page__pid__932223#entry932223 . I ended up installing a relay that cut the wire to the starter while the turbo timer was running, the details can be found at the thread I just linked. None the less, on to pictures.

IMG_0675.jpg

IMG_0677.jpg

IMG_0668.jpg

IMG_0665.jpg

turbotimerwiring-1.jpg

Other than that, I think I've found a solution to the boost creep! a 34mm internal wastegate flapper! A mere $30 and boost creep be gone, but I need the funds to buy it. lol However Its a more cost effective solution than going external. Till next time...

You would be correct, there was a recent thread that gave the dimensions of the ringland for the turbo and N/A flat-top pistons. The pistons are nearly identical for the exception of the pin height and the dish.

Well thanks! This thing is definitely my labor of love.

Ok, since I haven't updated in a while I'll get everyone up to speed. I installed a set of crx seats into the car. Fabricate a few brackets, use the datsun sliders, and we are good to go. I love these seats! The bolsters fit me so well and are so supportive! Pictures:

Photo103.jpg

Photo102.jpg

Photo101.jpg

Anyhow, this Sunday was quite interesting... I was running some errands in the car, just enjoying myself, when as a pull onto a side street I hear a "ting ting ting". I didn’t think much of it just sounded like a rock hitting my IC piping. I knew something was wrong when I no longer built boost... I pulled over immediately checked everything no blown joints everything is in its place. I limped the car home, when I get there I take the filter off of my turbo to find that my compressor wheel is not spinning. I thought the turbo was toast; I proceeded to pull the sucker off to find out what went wrong. When I got the turbo off I spun the compressor wheel, somehow it was free again... while I was taking the downpipe off so I could checkout the turbine a piece of metal falls out of the turbine inlet. "The turbo is screwed" to the contrary I’m one lucky SOB. The piece of metal that came out was just small enough to reach the blades, yet when it made contact it wedged the fins instead of grinding the ever-living hell out of them. The turbine was fine, now to find out where the metal came from. THE EXHAUST LINERS! On this discovery I pulled the intake and exhaust manifolds to see which cylinder it was and if removing the liner was necessary. I found that the number two exhaust liner was so loose it was rattling. Pulled that sucker to find a gap where the missing piece fit. Upon more inspection none of the other liners were loose of fatigued so I left them in for the time being. I smoothed out the port and reassembled. I know this is far from optimal but the car is currently my only transportation so I needed it running ASAP. So on to pictures!

Photo107.jpg

Photo106.jpg

Photo105.jpg

Photo108.jpg

Photo109.jpg

Photo110.jpg

Photo116.jpg

Photo114.jpg

Photo113.jpg

Photo112.jpg

Photo115.jpg

Ahhh, the port it as you drive technique ;)

dude u got skillz is their anyway you sell me some? lol this car is coming along great at first i went through the pics and didn't like the color too much but i learned to appreciate all the hard work you put into it, it's gonna be one fast cockaroach

Oh you know it! I'm just waiting for the other 5 liners to fall out to increase the flow sone more. ;)

Thanks rolla for the kind words! I'll sell you some but it doesn't come cheap! It's a project on a college students budget, so it takes a while to come together. Lol Eventually I'm going to paint it however it's going back to factory brown Lol

Edited by lowrider

• 2 weeks later...

Very luck on the liner and turbo.

Got to watch the water with you intake so low. No rain driving or very little.

I found this out the hard way the other day. When I left home there was no chance of rain, started down the interstate and it started pouring! I didn't notice any significant difference until I had to get in boost to pass someone... It fell on its face. I plan on making a front splitter that extends to the engine cross member. When i do, the filter is going to be boxed in.

• 3 months later...

Man, I've neglected my thread! I haven't done much to the car since last time. I replaced the rear wheel bearings, following their disagreement with the lateral loads that my new tires put on them. Sucker left me stuck in NC on memorial day weekend... the two hour wait for the wrecker was not fun. I since decided that I am going to put AC on the car. I figure a few creature comforts are always a good thing. I found all of the AC part attached to a 280z in the local pull-a-part. Snatched everything I needed for a cool $80. I replaced the control panel with the 280 piece along with installing the evaporator. I also in my plundering found an IMSA 3 piece spoiler in another local "junk" yard. Bought it for $50, after a rattle can paint job It looks like new. I also wrinkle painted my turbo valve cover, along with sanding the raised portion and letters! looks shweet! I guess I'll quit boring you with text, and just cut to the pictures.

IMG_0809.jpg

IMG_0810.jpg

IMG_0812.jpg

IMG_0813.jpg

IMG_0829.jpg

IMG_0827.jpg

IMG_0835.jpg

IMG_0836.jpg

Thanks! Some-what of an update, I bought a stage 4 Competition Clutch from 240hoke. I'm anticipating the destruction of tires?! I also bought a synapse synchronic blow off valve. In conjunction with books, talk about spending a pay check really quickly! I plan on posting picture when all of the goodies arrive.

So, today with help from my daddy-o I finished stripping my wrecked 260. Were hauling the body off to the scrap yard, but not after the motor, dash, wiring, interior, and heater were removed. We kept the motor attached to the cross member and lifted the body over the motor/transmission.

I also received my clutch today. I tore into my car but wasn't able to finish in a timely manor, Ill wrap it up tomorrow after school!

IMG_0845.jpg

IMG_0846.jpg

IMG_0847.jpg

IMG_0848.jpg

IMG_0849.jpg

I also snapped a few pictures of my car while it was parked outside the house today. I figured since you all havent seen the stance of the car after the new tires, It was about time!

IMG_0852.jpg

IMG_0850.jpg

And the new clutch!

IMG_0853.jpg

IMG_0854.jpg

• 2 months later...

I'm not sure why I keep neglecting this thread. Since last time, I've installed my clutch, synapse bov, Taurus electric fan, and a gm cs130 alternator.

The synapse bov is one of the nicest units Ive ever used! top quality craftsmanship, and remarkably responsive. I absolutely love it!

For the longest time my mechanical fan bugged me because it "didn't fit" with the clean-ness of the newly developing engine/engine bay. I finally took the leap and picked up a 3.6l Taurus 2 speed fan from the local pull-a-part. I also grabbed a CS130 alternator off of a mid 90's Pontiac sunfire. The CS130 is a 100-120 amp 3 wire gm alternator, I basically followed the instructions of another member on here and modified the lower alternator mounting bracket to align the CS130. After I got the higher amp alternator installed I went about "massaging" the taurus shroud to fit between the radiator and the water pump pulley. After a liberal amount of cutting I got it to fit with a little room to spare (like 1/4 inch clearance between the crank pulley and the fan motor). I used a Volvo 2 speed fan relay, in conjunction with a BMW 2 speed fan sensor/switch. I was fortunate enough to have the appropriately sized tap, to tap my thermostat housing so the sensor would fit. This fan is great! I should have done this modification a long time ago. Sitting in stand still traffic, nothing more than a slow cycling of low is needed to keep the car at operating temperature. The high speed will also lend its self useful when I finish my ac system. Anyhow I don't have many pictures to accommodate this update, but some are better than none I suppose?

IMG_0908.jpg

IMG_0909.jpg

IMG_0913.jpg

On a completely different note, I work at Dollywood's Splash Country as a lifeguard instructor during the summer. Well this at the end of this summer Splash Country hosted the Shades Of The Past car show. We had our entire parking lot full of beautiful cars, and had the top 25 around the emptied wave pool. Fortunate as I was, I got to work the show! Talk about being in heaven! I got to see a ton of cars all while getting paid to do so. During the entire day I was unable to take any pictures of the cars, but as they were announcing awards at the wave pool, I walked to the top of one of our structures and snapped a few pictures of the crowds huddled around. I hope everyone enjoys!

IMG_0873.jpg

IMG_0871.jpg

IMG_0868.jpg

The latest project is the fab of a fuel surge tank. I started this project to finally to my fuel system right. When I first did my fuel injection swap,running NA, I ran a 90 degree fitting from the gas tank drain into a filter, into an aftermarket replacement pump, feeding the fuel rail. When I first installed the turbo with an FMU for fuel management, the one pump wouldn't suffice, so I added another pump in series to help with the high pressures. Fast forward to last week when I realized that around 5500 The car's AFRs' would start to rise into unsafe territory. I thought it was a fuel restriction so I decreased my timing under boost, increased the begesus out of the fuel table in the range it was leaning out, and took it for a drive. The drive backed up my assumption that I had a restriction. To finally put my fuel system to bed, I decided to fab a surge tank. For sake of packaging I wanted to go with an in-tank pump in the surge tank. I found a Walbro 255Lph fuel pump for under $100, I bought it based solely on the fact that the seller had great customer service and worked with me to include the filter sock I needed. The next decision was for the feed pump. I finally settled on a carter 72Gph pump. Summit was selling these pumps for $91.00 shipped, but lucky me found the same pump on eBay for $65 shipped!

I did some calculations that I would like to have a 1.5 liter tank including the lost volume due to pump. Finally I settled on 4in diameter tubing, after a call to the local metal company I procured a 4x12x.25 tubing and a chunk of 3/8in thick 6061 plate that the top flange was going to be made of. Picked everything up and went to work!

Tacking the .25in bottom on the tube.

IMG_0926.jpg

IMG_0927.jpg

All welded up!

IMG_0931.jpg

Cutting the center out of the 3/8in top flange:

IMG_0934.jpg

Cutting the outside of the flange out:

IMG_0935.jpg

Tacking the flange on

IMG_0938.jpg

IMG_0939.jpg

IMG_0940.jpg

Top all welded up and the top plate made

IMG_0941.jpg

All welded up, I'm still working on my tig welding. Not to bad for someone who taught their self.

IMG_0943.jpg

The top plate drilled and if you look on the table you will see the 1/4npt bungs I made:

IMG_0947.jpg

Bung placement:

IMG_0948.jpg

Fuel pump stay and bung welded on the underside of the lid:

IMG_0950.jpg

Fuel pump bung welded on the topside:

IMG_0952.jpg

Fuel pump mounted:

IMG_0960.jpg

Everything finished and welded up:

IMG_0961.jpg

When I get everything mounted I will post installed pictures. I still have yet to determine the mounting brackets but that shouldn't be that difficult.