HybridZ

S130 ECU Interchange

xShodaimex

82/83 ECUs should work in the 81 (as long as you match NA with NA and turbo with turbo) but you should bypass the dropping resistors for the injectors.

81 and older ECUS will probably fry if you put them into an 82/83 as the older ECUS require the dropping resistors (they dont have PWM) for the injectors to limit the current draw and 82/83 did away with the resistors.

82/83 ECUs should work in the 81 (as long as you match NA with NA and turbo with turbo) but you should bypass the dropping resistors for the injectors.

81 and older ECUS will probably fry if you put them into an 82/83 as the older ECUS require the dropping resistors (they dont have PWM) for the injectors to limit the current draw and 82/83 did away with the resistors.

so i can use an 82 or 83 ecu in my 81?? the whole dropping resistor thing confuses me.. must i alter it if i got have an 82 or 83 ecu to use it in my 81?

The 82/83 ECU should work fine in your 81. If you experience a missfire then you will have to find the resistor pack and use a jumper wire to jump out the resistors.

Resistors were used on the 81 and older ECUs to limit the power going to the injectors so they did not overdraw and burn out the driver transistors.

In 82 they started using a system called PWM (pulse width modulation) that allows the ECU to limit the current by quickly switching the driver transistors on and off. This little software trick made for more precise opening of the injectors and allowed the deletion of the resistor pack (saving a few cents per car).

I had read of people who did not remove the resistors and had the car run fine so I would give it a shot. You will not hurt anything. If there is a problem it will be one or more injectors missing once in a while due to the lowered voltage.

FYI Here is a picture of the resistor plug, looks like it is just on the engine side of the firewall.

IMG_0743.jpg

I am not sure if they will work or not but I am reasonably certain they will NOT work correctly. If you do a little research you will see ECU's are not only year specific but they are specific to n/a - turbo, manual - automatic trans, california - federal build. Can you make one not specific to your year/model work? I would say more than likely. Would it be easy?..well that depends.....

• 11 years later...