HybridZ

More Power???

cebu15

Hey iv got a 260z stock engine with a 280zx 5 speed tranny and looking to do an engine rebuild i wanna make sure i get all the good stuff. what i want to do is bore it out, shave the head and get a valve job done on it, and get a high performance cam, and i wanna know how much horse power that will add, and if i'm missing anything els.... and what kind of pistons do i need, and what cam is the best.... (don't have enough money for the triple carbs) iv got the webers but should i get the SUs? and how much does it cost to stroke and how do you stroke it?

and i don't want someone to tell me to look before i post unless you can find that exact information yourself.... thanx

First off welcome to HBZ! As for your last statement, I can find the information myself. But Ill give you some pointers...

How much power it will add isnt really determinable, alot of variables. If you do everything but the cam youll have a basically stock powered engine. Add the cam with proper tuning and youll be a little better off.

As for stroking, youll need the ld28 crank, their are 2 for sale in the for sale section for $450 each. I believe there is machining involved so factor in that also. Might think about investing the money youd spend on the crank in a set of triples.

But really knowing what I just told you, you should be able to do some research and find the answers you desire.

Also If you decide to go with a pair of SU's I havea set for sale. $100. Pm if your interested.

ok thanks guys, umm well do you know about around how much hp i would would have if i got a l28 and did all that to it? i have heard of people getting a 280z block and a 240z head is that the best set up staying in the early z engines? i really appreciate it.

Well Im only guessing, but you pretty much have a stock powered engine assuming its assembled correctly. Take a little off for switching to carbs, then add a little for the carb/cam combo. You start out with about 135 whp so Im not sure which way or how far that way it will take you. That is where searching comes in handy, you can look at real setups and how they worked out.

Look in the L6 section FAQ. It shows all of the different heads and how they differ. I think your talking about the l28/e31 combo. Id reccomend searching and also getting "How to modify your L series" I know you mentioned early z engines but the p90 is pretty popular with flat tops.

My personal opinion is go turbo, your not limited as much as you are with a NA L series, but its up to you.