HybridZ

BMW 1971 2002, anybody have one?

Sparky

In my quest to become the dumbest man alive I've decided to look into purchasing yet another project car... that car is a 1971 BMW 2002.

I had one many years ago that was destroyed by an individual of supreme ignorance (despite what you think I'm not speaking of myself.) and have recently come across one missing the engine and trans (I'm thinking M20 swap) replacement parts prices are among the most absurdly over priced I've ever encountered so I'm looking for a bit of wisdom from current and previous owners on the potential pit falls of 02 ownership for daily driving duties.

This car is in need of love, lots of it, but since I was considering buying a new car this year i'm thinking that I can take that monthly payment and have something that's not going to depreciate as soon as I drive (or tow) it home.

224$ for a brake master cylinder? crazy talk.

thanks

Go for it!

An amazing little car that I always wanted to own.

In my quest to become the dumbest man alive I've decided to look into purchasing yet another project car... that car is a 1971 BMW 2002.

I had one many years ago that was destroyed by an individual of supreme ignorance (despite what you think I'm not speaking of myself.) and have recently come across one missing the engine and trans (I'm thinking M20 swap) replacement parts prices are among the most absurdly over priced I've ever encountered so I'm looking for a bit of wisdom from current and previous owners on the potential pit falls of 02 ownership for daily driving duties.

This car is in need of love, lots of it, but since I was considering buying a new car this year i'm thinking that I can take that monthly payment and have something that's not going to depreciate as soon as I drive (or tow) it home.

224$ for a brake master cylinder? crazy talk.

thanks

2002's date bak to the days when there were more BMWs in the ditches than on the roads. Never driven one myself, but most of those who have say they aren't the best handling cars around!

More cute than capable is how I've heard them described.

2002's date bak to the days when there were more BMWs in the ditches than on the roads. Never driven one myself, but most of those who have say they aren't the best handling cars around!

More cute than capable is how I've heard them described.

I beg to differ good sir. I have one myself which we are prepping for the CVAR race club. When the 2002's came out they dominated in the B Sadan production (I think its B). It wasn't until the Datsun 510 with its 2 liter motor that it started getting raped. In CVAR we have several BMW 2002's and the one proper race car (as the other 5 use theirs as a hot road car too so its not a permanent track car) keeps up and sometimes beats the original 1970 C production Z with his 250hp motor! Of course this is probably because the guy driving the BMW has a 5 speed tranny and a LSD while the Z has a 4 speed with a 3.9 open rear end...

On the flip side, the BMW 2002 was one of the "super sedans" and people loved the handling. Thats where it made all of its lap time up really since I doubt the motor made enough power to push the box on wheels very fast...

HPIM0863.jpg

:idea:

Or you can just put another motor into it... Rotary, small v8, etc. The engine bay is wide but narrow and when you go to pull the motor, it drops out of the bottom. We learned that the hard way when we tried using a hoist and the motor wouldn't fit through the top. I'm sitting there thinking damnit, the Germans have created another vehicle that has me utterly baffled, thinking they built the car around the motor. It never struck me until I saw a Mercedes SLR having its front suspension with motor mounted, jacked up into position under the shell. Speaking of shell, they're stupid light too. :-) We lifted the stripped down shell onto a roll around with our own hands! Running like an 1800lb weight class I think. Then again mine is a 1608 with a 2 liter so basically a really light 2002.

And yes, parts are expensive however I think you will find that ebay is your friend and that a lot of the 70's BMW's have interchangeable ****. The 5 speed we run is from a 320i for instance. Besides, its BMW, of course they're expensive!

:D Of course they handle well!

Hey Josh that's the same colour of the one i'm looking at...Granada right? yours has a complete interior though!

Those CVAR guys are a bunch of cheaters! ;)

So you don't happen to want to get rid of that interior do you?

My brother in law rebuilt one with his dad when he was a kiddo. It was his first car and he loved it. Unfortunately, duty calls and he was in the dessert for a while. Came home and it was no-where to be seen.

I'd get it, I think they're pretty sweet.

Hey Josh that's the same colour of the one i'm looking at...Granada right? yours has a complete interior though!

Those CVAR guys are a bunch of cheaters! ;)

So you don't happen to want to get rid of that interior do you?

Ah dude that sucks a little. It WAS going to be my first car but then I got a Z so Dad had tons of ****. We still have like 2 or 3 sets of trim, 2 motors, steering wheel, original wheels, suspension, gas tank, DID have a full carpet set, the seats are torn but we have them, etc.

HPIM0860.jpg

HPIM0861.jpg

I'll have to call my dad up and see. The interior stuff may all be gone but we will have some suspension and other goodies I bet.

And yes, CVAR is full of money bags and some cheaters whether it be cheater motors or cheater fuel. 4 Porsches sit up front in the pack. They are suppose to be all tightly packed with the Z somewhere in there however one of them laps EVERYONE within a 20 minute session, he's running a cheater 3.5L I do believe however when they go to volume check it apparently it only registers as a 2.7 or a 3L... Something weird you can do with Porsches apparently. The other 3 stay half a lap in front of everyone and they run illegal gas, and its very obvious when they scream by sounding like an F1 car... The other guys like Group 7 I think it is with the muscle cars. One dude is running an original FIA camaro or something like that and he rapes everyone except a BB Vette, Pantera, FIA Porsche (apparently they throw that in with the muscle cars), and a Lola with a Cosworth motor... When they get going its pretty fun to watch. Just 2 weeks ago was an event, 1st of the season and some guy brought his Lister Maseratti. Only one of one ever made and he paid several million dollars for it. :weird: Why would you race that?! Was pretty quick though, they told us to enfisize the blue flag if anyone was even near him. Several original factory GT-500 race cars that are like a quarter million a pop. Its hideous the amount of money in the club now. In 1993 when my dad was racing he had $3500 in his car and made 2nd on the track 1st in points since 1st place on the track was running smaller wheels. :nono:

http://s14.photobucket.com/albums/a333/josh817/?action=view&current=CIMG0914.flv

You'll hear the wrong fuel Porsche first, then a proper flat 6:

http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=20kagyo&s=3

http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=w5mo0&s=3

Another FIA camaro... this time with lots of fancy air ducting work:

http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=2agruw&s=3

Pics of the cars:

http://www.hart-photography.com/photocart/index.php?do=photocart&viewImage=429263

http://www.hart-photography.com/photocart/index.php?do=photocart&viewImage=423625

I would have put them in as a viewable picture but its copyright so you know...

RTz was it? The 510 was kicking ass with its 1.6L at the time too? I said 2L because I know there was a time that the BMW was dominating its class but the 510 was out in 1968 along with the BMW so I just said 2L because if the BMW of dominating, and the 510 is out with it then it made sense in my head that the 510 didn't rape until they put in a 2L... Hm.. That whole sentence was confusing but I'll just agree with you anyways since you're an Agent. :/

I don't recognize any of those cars. I used to be affiliated with some CVAR guys back in the day (early 2000's) running some really cool machines. I don't think any of those cars were "legal" by any stretch... man I remember some real sketchy stuff. The money was really starting to flow in right about when I left the crew although there was still a good mix of backyard racers with open trailers and a tent. Big money rigs and full support crews really changed the scene I bet. People started forming little clicks and it got to the point where the camaraderie of the event wasn't there anymore, people wouldn't let you borrow tools or even stop by your trailer to chat it up about your cars... unless it was a big money machine. funny what a small world it is.

anywho, Looks like I'm going to make the move on this car mid week, it's basically just a shell with wheels (four mismatched wheels) and glass so if you know of any good parts sources or guys with stuff they want to throw out keep me in mind.

I was thinking about an M20 swap but if I can find an M10 in decent shape I may just throw some sidedrafts on it and call it a day.. there is something about a really simple carbureted car that I miss. first thing is first though, strip it down, fix the rust, prime it and paint it (single stage granada) then start collecting interior parts while looking for the right engine. I'm going to put a schedule of three months for paint and body and 1 month for engine and trans...if I take the plunge of course. decisions decisions.

b7e5qx.jpg

ohtjlf.jpg

Take your pick? Although I think the one with the headers is ours... Interior stuff will be a ***** because it all has to be authentic BMW unless you want different seats and such. We have some Weber 45mm carbs but not selling, however I think we did pick up a Weber DGV with the manifold. Get your stuff off of ebay. We sold tons of the interior stuff for like $10 on there. The only things that went really high was the carpet set and the uh *cough* bumpers which sold for $600... >_> We only paid $800 for the car. Haha! Score! I'll check our pile-o-**** to see if you need anything. We also have the 4 speed tranny (although you can use a 320i 5 speed with some modifications), long nose diff with its mounting arm thing, and some other stuff.

Check in with the ad on this car, the driver owns that place and is like the biggest BMW junkyard in Austin:

HPIM1757.jpg

For motor, suspension, and body mods/parts check out:

http://www.bmpdesign.com/home.php

http://www.bmw2002.com/

For any build help or pictures of the car in pieces:

http://bmw1602.lostbrazilian.com/v1/viewer.php?albid=211&stage=2

And the only people in CVAR that have crews are the Geisers and Bigger Hammer formula vee team. They own several cars and all use radio sets and stuff but its a vee so its like... yah ok. You see very few open trailers anymore. Most are giant enclosed ones with a motor home too. I'm still in a tent... Some of them have already won a championship in their original car so they go out and buy a crazy car and come for fun. They don't get counted in the points standing.

Him and 3 others do the formula atlantic cars.

2wna6if.jpg

4h8qb6.jpg

2a64i6a.jpg

osbtci.jpg

During that race I spotted a mullet. I casually acted like I was taking pictures of the Corona Formula Atlantic car. The mullet never saw it coming as he was too busy talking to the man in a wheel chair, who is ALWAYS there, who likes to tell stories which never happened and also enjoys telling me to have kinky sex before I get fat and maybe even end up in a wheel chair like him. That is, even though he openly admitted to having kinky sex while in the wheel chair. I couldn't eat dinner after that. Hey look, a s130 in the background!

2iho4sh.jpg

He found a biker couple of which you couldn't tell that the female was a female and I'm not sure why they even came. The bike swooned the mullets brain until...

ao12c9.jpg

He became utterly joyous and jumped on the bike. The mullets curiosity ensued. The owner was nice enough to hold the mullets alcoholic beverage in a styrafoam container from a place which doesn't sell alcoholic beverages.

6z8wfm.jpg

Finally the mullet couldn't take it anymore so he asked politely to "start the ***** up". The mullet blipped the throttle to hear its tone. The sound of the motorcycle made the mullet very happy.

9kma6q.jpg

It was just so perfect and I was so thoroughly impressed with the series of events, it made my night.

Sorry for hijacking this a bit...

Nahhhh its too done up for a little car like that. I wouldn't make it showy and all if it was a road car because then people will want to race and that car isn't straight line performance at all. :/ However... I have seen a video of some dudes putting a giant turbo on some BMW 4 banger motor in that car and it burns rubber for like a 1/4 mile. Haha

Nahhhh its too done up for a little car like that. I wouldn't make it showy and all if it was a road car because then people will want to race and that car isn't straight line performance at all. :/ However... I have seen a video of some dudes putting a giant turbo on some BMW 4 banger motor in that car and it burns rubber for like a 1/4 mile. Haha
Was it a dark colored E30?