HybridZ

chevy LS1 with T56

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

hi,

i was just wondering if anyone of you can tell me if i can put a LS1 engine in my 73Z using the T56 transmission? also how much money/and modifications should i be expecting if i were to do this swap? and how would the handling be with stock suspension except for unrethane bushings all the way around. any comments or ideas will be greatly appreciated

thank you,

lloyd

Yes, it can be done. There is a member on this forum that has done it. Look at the member's rides section of the forum--you'll see pictures of "Lone Star's" LS1 Z. As far as handling is concerned, theoretically it would handle like a stock Z with urethane bushings. I don't think the LS1 adds any weight over the straight 6 because of all the aluminum. With all that power, corners will not be very fun...

Use the search function to find a discussion on it. Look in the "general" section of the forum--that's where I think it was.

David

Guest Anonymous

As Davy said, theoretically the handling should be the same or perhaps even better because of better weight distribution. I say theoretically because I think you'll need to tailor your driving to the car's new found torque. You'll need to be a little smoother in the corners getting on the gas (which is really the way its supposed to be done anyway) or you will definitely be looking at a potential for throttle induced oversteer. Mashing the gas coming out of a low speed corner will in all probability cause you to spin the inside tire at least and perhaps both.

IMHO and at least in my case, it took a bit to be able to drive the car smoothly, as the power to weight ratio is severe enough to make small changes in your right foot pressures makes large changes in acceleration. This is with my stock 350 cast motor, a LS1 with more HP and torque will amplify what I was talking about above even more so I would think.

My $.02,

Lone