HybridZ

Shaved rear idea

Beau M

might have call a few junk yards and see if they have any old datsun trucks i can steal a tailgate off now.

Check out this site:

:windows:www.car-parts.com

Parts galore!!!

I used this site for a rear window in my '94 Suburban. Delivered at my door from Mn to NM for about $100. I looked for Datsun tailgate. many there, $75 - $150+.

:2thumbs: Awsome site!!! :2thumbs:

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How about a photoshop to get a general idea of how it would look? I've seen a lot of good photoshops done on here. I'm interested in how this would look too, I think it would look a lot better if the letters on the tailgate were recessed and not popping out like that

I think it would look a lot better if the letters on the tailgate were recessed and not popping out like that

If you cut out all of the letters individually and flipped a couple of them horizontally and vertically I think you could make it all recessed..... It would be a hell of a lot of work getting them lined up and contoured correctly though.

Since the time shifted forward an hour last night, I didn't notice that it was early in the morning,so i didn't go to sleep last night...

I did a little Photoshopping of how it might look, I made a guesstimate on how wide the two bodies were in comparison and i came out to this:

This is with the letters closer to the body color:

3337337261_f0522c5906.jpg

This is a pic of the letters the same color as the truck:

3337337019_26e64955e2.jpg

This is the truck I cloned the letters from:

3337350885_82f7beeb26.jpg

Its not the best job, but it gives you an idea.

From what i can see, there is no way to fit it in between the tail lights without cutting it up.

Justin

I still like it. I am going to see if I can source a tailgate localy to play with. It looks better than I thought and ended up about the size I thought it would be in my head, don't really see a need to make it fit between the tailights as long as it is centered on everything. BUT... I'm sure someone will have a nasty remark because i don't have the same style or tastes as them. Oh well, don't drive my car if you don't like it. :-D

• 1 month later...

Definitely watching here!

I'm planning on doing this on the rear of my parts car to see how it looks and then transfering the whole panel over to my '71 When I shave the rear on it :)

Pics of the process would be greatly appreciated!

After patching a sunroof I think this shouldn't be too bad, but getting the contour of the rear might be fun...

Looking good!

You went about it a little bit differently than I would have, but it seems like things should all work out fine though :)

I would have cut out a rectangular section from the original panel and cut one from the tailgate that was slightly bigger. Then you can place the lettering behind the original to tweak it to get the right curvature and then tack it into place, and you get to keep the original bottom body line.

My vote is that you do a custom center exhaust or diffuser now :D

How much did you pay for your tailgate?

Like I said, I'm flying by the seat of my pants here. The curvature differences are not that extreme at all, it will flow pretty good once I start tacking it in. I cut the bottom so short ( 1.5" shorter than stock) because the tailgate had some rust issues down there that I would have to fix anyway. I am also having to make lower rear quarters, so I think I will just make a custom rear end basically. The tailgate was 38 bucks at the yard. As far as diffuser, I have been looking at the ones on Porsche 944 turbos.

• 2 weeks later...