Shaved rear idea

Beau M

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sorry for the lack of updates. I ended up having to replace the rear lower quarter too, and have to finish that before I put on filler and make it pretty. I have the drivers side done. The datsun panel is all welded in though, I would take a picture but some prick broke in my house and took my laptop, TV and camera. I will definitly keep you updated though, and I can say it looks great so far.

Sorry to hear that someone broke into your house! That really is one of my fears. I'd imagine it being completely violating :|

Homeowner's insurance?

Definitely looking forward to seeing some pics when you are able to again!

I'm thinking that I want to do the Datsun panel, shave all of my side markers, shave my drip rails, shave my antenna, and blend in my sugar scoops. I'm still debating on shaving the fuel filler door and the B pillar emblems...

• 2 weeks later...

Nope, went to Vegas last week. I need to get a new passenger side lower rear quarter, and figure out WTF I am going to do with the lower edge of the panel. I will take some pics of it tacked in tonight though, it will give you an idea of what it will look like.

So I want to shave my rear after I remove the bumpers. Instead of a flat pannel, what do you think about this? I could cut out the Datsun from a truck tailgate and use that. Do you think it would look good? :confused:

tailgate.jpg

Keep in mind the rear curvature of the Z versus the straight tailgate.

It might be more trouble than it's worth.

Actually, the tailgate is not flat. The lateral curve is almost the same as the stock Z pan. The curve that has an issue in the horizontal one. I think I can fix that with a releif cut right up the center from the bottom, and then weld it back together. I need to stop replying and just post some pics. Stay tuned.

OK, let me re-state that I am by no means a competent fabricator. I'm just learning to weld, and have never done any body work like this before. It's going to need some filler to make it look good, but its going to be all metal behind. As you can see I need to finish the passenger side and figure out what to do with the lower edge of the Datsun panel. The driver side rear quarter is a Tabco coupe piece I modified. Any ideas? Constructive criticism?

Vegas4009.jpg

Vegas4010.jpg

Vegas4011.jpg

Vegas4012.jpg

Vegas4015.jpg

man that is so frickin awesome. I know zero about welding, but isn't there anything you can do with heat to help you curve the metal? Maybe it only applies to smaller stuff, but i thought you could use it to constrict.

Also, what are you plans for exhaust? I picture two tips at least?

That's it.

I'm doing it this summer when I shave my rear bumper and side markers!

I have had a bit of experience - dogleg patch and a sunroof patch

You're doing great for this being your first time Beau :)

Get a large piece of copper to place behind the seam as you stitch weld. It will help dissipate the heat of the weld, and it also provides a backing to help build up filler.

I was driving home the other day and saw an old nissan ute, with 'nissan' stamped into the gate, in smaller letters.

i think it would look good done the same way, but as a small peice off to one side.

maybe put on the right hand side, with the exhaust on the left side.

But, yours is looking damn good.

thumbs up!!!

edit, found a pic.

AdMkqJOoum.jpg

not a brilliant pic, but the nissan bit is raised.

D21 Nissan Navara.

• 1 month later...