Beau M

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Rear end update. I have been welding, sanding and applying bondo for the last few weeks. I was trying my hardest to get the metal as flat as possible, but I was getting frustrated in my search for perfection. I decided it was time to let some body filler do its job. Here are some pics after a guide coat of primer, its not totally dry but you get the idea:

primer4.jpg

primer5.jpg

primer6.jpg

primer8.jpg

primer9.jpg

Ah, the bottom edge. What I would like to do is run a curved piece the length of it, so it matches up with the "lips" on either side. I just don't know where I can get that long of a curved piece, because I'm pretty sure I can't make it myself. I have been kicking around the idea of cutting a slice from some exhaust tubing.

That turned out great!! Kudos!

As far as the bottom edge is concerned... Doesn't look like there's to much curve there. Not sure if your plan to weld in a piece of rounded sheet would work though. You have to remember that not only is the shape of the rear rolling under there, but it is also not a flat surface from the drivers side to the passengers side (does this make sense? Early on Saturday morning with only 1/4 cup of coffee and having trouble finding the correct words to desribe what i'm thinking).

I think if you were to try and weld in a pre curved piece that you would have a problem wth it buckling at the center of the car. I think you'd be better of tacking in a flat piece along the top edge and bending it as you go to get the shape right. This way you can prevent that "buckling".

The only way i see your plan working would be if you were to try to weld in two different pieces (left and right), which would be dificult to make it look right where they would meet in the middle.

Any of this making sense?

Imagine taking that curved piece of metal your talking about using, holding it in both hands horizinatlly and bending it. You can see how it would buckle in the middle.

Jeesh, i'm rambling... off to drink more coffee! good luck! Looks GREAT. No doubt others will be doing this!

Horatio, I understand 100% what you are saying. It is for that reason I had to make a relief cut right up the middle, it was buckling just as you say. I thought of tacking and bending as I go, which would be easy at the edges, but would be very difficult in the middle. But then again, it wont really go all the way across, because I still need to do an exhaust cut out. Maybe I should move on to other areas until I get the exhaust sorted out.

Horatio, I understand 100% what you are saying. It is for that reason I had to make a relief cut right up the middle, it was buckling just as you say. I thought of tacking and bending as I go, which would be easy at the edges, but would be very difficult in the middle. But then again, it wont really go all the way across, because I still need to do an exhaust cut out. Maybe I should move on to other areas until I get the exhaust sorted out.

baby steps, and it will pay off! It looks great, but don't get ahead of the rest of the car. start working on other things that end up in the same area, like you said.

exhaust.

i think an air foil would be cool. something not as aggressive, but similar in form as this here:

mitsubishi_lancer_evo_x_06.jpg

something way more shallow, just a finisher for the tail pipes, and maybe a fake dual tip for the time being.