HybridZ

Compound Twin Turbocharging from Boost Logic

ShaggyZ

They just finished designing this kit and it's ready to be sold for the sweet price of $6900. I'm anxious to see the powerband and how these things perform on the track.

This new revolutionary turbo kit will finally meet the goals of every turbocharger enthusiast. While compound turbocharging is usually used on diesel applications, we have devised a method for this kit to work on a gasoline powered engine. Unparalleled low and midrange torque coupled with high horsepower. There’s no need for nitrous as this kit spools up as if it’s always on nitrous. The compound turbocharger kit builds 20psi at 2800 rpms while flowing enough air to make 800+ RWHP!

The turbo kit includes:

- SS304 Tig Welded High Pressure Turbo Manifold

- SS304 Tig Welded Low Pressure Turbo Manifold

- BL Specced Precision Turbo High Pressure Turbo

- BL Specced Precision Turbo Low Pressure Turbo

- 4†SS304 Downpipe with Recirculated wastegate

- 4†SS304 Midpipe

- 3†High Pressure Aluminum Inlet Pipe

- 5†Aluminum Intake Tube

- 5†K&N Intake Filter

- Tial 44mm Wastegate

- Tial 60mm Wastegate

- AN Oil feed and Return Lines

- AEM Boost Control Solonoid

- All the necessary gaskets, bolts,vband clamps, silicone couplers, clamps, and hardware for installation.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If you really want to know... contact StreetFighter on this forum. He is the fabrication genius that works for Boost Logic. He also has this setup on his 2jz-z31. IIRC he is aiming for 750whp at 24 psi.

OK' date=' it's all done. I've built a compound turbo kit for my SC300ZX. It consists of a dual ball bearing 50 trim T3 and a GT42-76 Dual ball bearing, 44mmwastegate, 60mm wastegate, and a lot of work.

The kit produces 300 Ft Lbs. @3000rpm, and 500ft lbs @4000rpm, and almost 700whp @ 6900rpm.

[img']http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v342/T66Z31/SL380909.jpg[/img]

SL380904.jpg

SL380903.jpg

SL380906.jpg

SL380916.jpg

SL380907.jpg

More info after final tune friday morning.

All my numbers were made on E85. I don't want to make any more than 750whp' date=' so no race gas for me.

It made 600whp @19psi on the T67 on E85 and 715 @ 31psi on Q16

If I can make 750whp @24psi I'll be done with power (finally)

Time for a cage.[/quote']

Ok, explain to me whats happening here. It looks like to me that the down pipe and exit of wastgate from one turbo is re-directed into the exhaust flow for the second turbo. Is this correct? Is this just so you can have a smaller turbo on one flange for lower boost pressure and then all the exhaust gases that exit that turbo go into the flow for the second, bigger turbo? I can see how this would be quicker spooling than a normal twin-turbo set-up but would it also make the same peak numbers as a single turbo set up?

If you really want to know... contact StreetFighter on this forum. He is the fabrication genius that works for Boost Logic. He also has this setup on his 2jz-z31. IIRC he is aiming for 750whp at 24 psi.

I know him all too well, including how much money he has owed me for almost 9 months now and dodging me for just as as long. It wouldn't be good for anybody if I went hunting for him again. He keeps saying he doesn't have the money but how does someone go from 500HP to 750HP without any money? Shaggy = furious but patient.

For the record, I "sold" him a Z31 LSD in fantastic shape for $400 (yep, the same LSD that sells regularly on eBay for $750) when he got in a pinch with his failing LSD. I knew how much it was worth and decided to do him a favor and didn't even make him pay immediately, nor am I charging him interest and I've never threatened him with theft, violence or legal action and told him I wouldn't. All those racing videos online of him are with my car part. Over the course of about 5 months, I had to hunt him down twice and just say "hey, at least call me and make some sort of effort to seem like you're trying to pay me back." He was deceptively contrite and has continued to take a dump on our friendship and his credibility. If he ever pays me back, I'll make note of it here.

FWIW - this is the first time I've publicly said who it was that has screwed me over.

They've got a test drive video of Chris Johnson's SC300 running this kit.

It's a full-weight SC300 (about 3600lbs, I believe) with an entire stock Supra drivetrain.

Because it's not as peaky, it doesn't seem quite as fast as a ~600HP big single, if you know what I mean.

What am I missing? I got 17 psi by 1700rpms, and would get 21psi by 2000 rpms if I set the controller there.

And that was in 1985.

Single turbo. No, it didn't flow 800HP of air, but then again that was using a 70's era design turbo as well. I'm sure there would be much better flow numbers available using todays wheel cuts.

What am I missing? I got 17 psi by 1700rpms, and would get 21psi by 2000 rpms if I set the controller there.

And that was in 1985.

Single turbo. No, it didn't flow 800HP of air, but then again that was using a 70's era design turbo as well. I'm sure there would be much better flow numbers available using todays wheel cuts.

I'm going to guess you were running some type of V8 upwards of 6.0L versus this 3.0L engine with stock cams. Plus, the 20+ psi this system is putting out is probably a very efficient (cooler, for starters) volume of air.

• 2 weeks later...

I had an '08 Ford Powerstroke, so I've looked at one of those for compound turbo charging. It basically works like this:

Exhaust side:

Engine->Little Turbine->Big Turbine->Exhaust

Intake side:

Intake->Big Compressor->Little Compressor->Plenum

Bascially the little turbo can draw or blow through the big turbo with little restriction. When flow gets large enough, a wastegate can bypass more exhaust around the little turbine to feed the big turbine directly.

It's a nifty idea, but a middle sized single turbo gets you most of the way to the performance envelope. Especially when paying for TWO ~$1,500 dual ball bearing turbos like the sample here has.

This concept really shows the largest benefits at very high pressure ratios where a single turbo won't be efficient. That is why this is way more common on diesels than gas engines. The added benefit of earlier spool up of the larger turbo is great for rpm limited engines like diesels.

This concept really shows the largest benefits at very high pressure ratios where a single turbo won't be efficient. That is why this is way more common on diesels than gas engines. The added benefit of earlier spool up of the larger turbo is great for rpm limited engines like diesels.

Ah, there you go. That's a good point.

I know him all too well, including how much money he has owed me for almost 9 months now and dodging me for just as as long. It wouldn't be good for anybody if I went hunting for him again. He keeps saying he doesn't have the money but how does someone go from 500HP to 750HP without any money? Shaggy = furious but patient.

For the record, I "sold" him a Z31 LSD in fantastic shape for $400 (yep, the same LSD that sells regularly on eBay for $750) when he got in a pinch with his failing LSD. I knew how much it was worth and decided to do him a favor and didn't even make him pay immediately, nor am I charging him interest and I've never threatened him with theft, violence or legal action and told him I wouldn't. All those racing videos online of him are with my car part. Over the course of about 5 months, I had to hunt him down twice and just say "hey, at least call me and make some sort of effort to seem like you're trying to pay me back." He was deceptively contrite and has continued to take a dump on our friendship and his credibility. If he ever pays me back, I'll make note of it here.

FWIW - this is the first time I've publicly said who it was that has screwed me over.

As I said, I would post on here when he paid me back or otherwise made it right. Last night, he approached me and gave me the remaining amount and a ride in his 706rwhp Z31 with the kit pictured above. He just had it dyno tuned on E85 the other day. That sucker freakin' moves!

Good to hear everything is worked out now. Did you take any video?
No video. We were at the local bike night and just jumped in the car real quick for a blazing jaunt around the block - we think we hit around 130mph at some point. I had on my leather jacket and in my lap was my helmet, which I should have been wearing. :)

Glad to hear it was worked out in the end.

He's a good guy. The circumstances were difficult and I understand that. We had a good talk about it and I would deal with him again in the future, but would be far more careful - he knows that.

Sweet........great idea knowing the big turbo could pass exhaust through to the small turbo.

I'm confused by your statement. As far as I know and can see from the picture, it's more accurate to say the exhaust from the small turbo could pass through to the big turbo.

I'm going to guess you were running some type of V8 upwards of 6.0L versus this 3.0L engine with stock cams. Plus, the 20+ psi this system is putting out is probably a very efficient (cooler, for starters) volume of air.

Given what I know of TonyD, chances are about 85-95% that the engine in question was either an L6, a VW, or a corvair motor... and guessing from the date, it was almost certainly a sub 3 liter L6.