HybridZ

Motor Mount Choice for 280ZX?

PhilbertZ

Hi guys,

I'm planning on installing Prothane bushings all around later this month with a buddy who has more space and more tools than me, and he's also offered to help install new motor mounts.

I've been looking around and here's what I found:

1) Summit Racing: Does not carry

2) Black Dragon: Has them for about $30 each plus mounting HW

3) Kragen (think autozone chain...): same as Black dragon

I don't want to spend an arm and a leg if I don't have to. The motor is stock - no crazy power there. I don't track the car but some day do want to autoX once I have the car "freshened" all around (time and money are sparse...).

I've heard there are Polyurethane kits too?

And, would I need to do a transmission mount while I'm at it? worth it? needed?

Open to suggestions folks - please let me know if you have any, keeping in mind my limited budget and what I plan to do with the car.

Thanks in advance!

Phil

I bought and installed a Polyeurethane kit on my 79 and it was not crazy hard. There were a few speed bumps though. I had to remove metal sleeves from all 4 lower control arms and this was best accomplished by removing the control arms completely then re installing the arms after They were prepped with the new bushings and grease.( I went ahead and stripped and repainted all the parts I had off the car throughout this process.)I found the kit by searching energy suspension and finding a carrier. I have noticed a difference in how the car responds to my input after the install is complete. I am awaiting my shocks and springs to finish out the bottom of the car. I would recommend replacing the rear diff bushing as well as anything you can find attaching the transmission( crossmember). these all make the car move more uniform and smoother.(IMHO) I didnt initially replace the rear diff bushing and noticed some vibration throughout the car when I hadnt fully disengaged the cluch while easing forward in a low gear and at low speed. These cars are getting old and if your running original equipment you can bet you will benefit by upgrading a degraded bushing system. Theres my $.02

Well said smokescreen. Poly bushings, or even Heavy duty rubber bushings, definetly change a cars characteristics... Better traction, more responsive, less rattles.. yada yada.

I'm never going OEM again.

Steve-

Thanks Smokescreen! I remember your bushing install - I had asked you about it in yoru thread a few months back :)

I have a full set of Prothane bushings (CABs, SBs, ELs, etc) that I plan to install later this month at my friend's house (he has larger garage and more tools). We were planning to do motor mounts at the same time since he has a motor hoist....

So, the next Q is...where do I GET the POLY motor mounts? I've been pretty fruitless in my searches thus far

Good find Dozer, I called JEGS and SUMMIT on those mounts and the reps all say they are mostly for GM applications and that the only thing they carry for us are basic bushing kits. I did a base search on Google/Ask and similar engines and found the BlackDragon set to be the most realistic. Money/time /Availability wise. Kameari makes a set for $260.00 if money doesnt matter... but I couldnt validate that kind of coin for mounts unless i had some serious HP and planned on using it.LOL!

Jason

Thanks guys!

Seems like Energy is mostly for Domestic applications (came across that page in my research too) - for motor mounts - but I'll give my parts store a call and see if they have them. Otherwise, I think it's going to be OEM/Black Dragon versions.

Appreciate the effort you guys put into looking - thanks!

Why don't you just inject the stock motor mounts with some urethane? Tons of car guys do that, especially 240SX and Honda guys. I'm doing it with my stock L28 mounts with 3M WindoWeld. I've just cut away some of the original rubber and filled in the gaps with the urethane. I've yet to inject the bottom part because I don't yet have a good way to remove the rubber, using a drill or dremel has not been successful. If only I could get a razor sharp straw to push through to take out perfect circles of rubber.

Thanks Junglist, but I think I'll go the conventional way on this one.

I called local auto stores and no one seems to be able to get PolyUrethane mounts - just rubber. I'm ok with that but now have another question....

They have "solid" mounts and "standard" mounts. Solids are half the price of standard. Neither one comes with additional hardware (nuts, washers, etc), and both are special order only.

Do you guys know what the difference is between solid and standard, and should I be worried about re using the old mounting hardware?

Don't go solid. That will rattle your teeth daily driving. These mounts are designed for High output engines that bind the stock mounts(with the rubber oem style). That L28 ain't throwin' around that much juice...or if it is I'm out of my league trying to give advice heheh. The Oem Style or Standard mounts should be adequate for your current application Phil. Sorry I couldn't come up with better info on urethane mounts etc... but hey, we tried. I learned alot myself in this little hunt anyways.

Jason

Thanks Jason - I just ordered the standard ones today at the store (and a fuel filter and other stuff I need to do...). They should come in the next couple days... $13 each.

I appreciate the effort you guys put into searching and responding here, even if we didn't find the polyurethane....

have a great weekend!

• 3 months later...

Guys - reviving this old thread :)

I finally did my poly bushing install (search my name here and you'll find the post with all the photos).

I still have the motor mounts and need to install (next project).

Question: For a 280ZX NA, do I need to use a cherry picker or can I use a jack with blocks of wood on the oil pan, for instance? Will I need to undo the transmission mounts to get the angle on the engine?

If anyone's done this and has a quick bullet point guide they wouldn't mind typing up for me, I'd really, really appreciate it.

Thanks everyone!

Phil

Question: For a 280ZX NA, do I need to use a cherry picker or can I use a jack with blocks of wood on the oil pan, for instance? Will I need to undo the transmission mounts to get the angle on the engine?

ya 2x4 under oil pan and bottle jack is fine and no need to split tranny. doesn't need to be raised very high. just enough to take weight off plus a 1/2" to get new part in

Good luck

Thanks - just to be clear however, I'm not talking about splitting the tranny in two for this - just asking if I need to undo the mounts for the tranny to the frame (to allow the tranny/engine to lift up as one unit)?

Thanks again guys.