HybridZ

Help me with engine decision and info

AkumaNoZeta

I have a second T5. Its the one that came with the car but I blew up and switched out. I was gonna build a second 5.0 off to the side, nothing radical just using lighter parts and changing the power band to around 6-7000, and while I do that I can send the transmission to a guy I read about in a Mustang magazine that rebuilds the T5s using new gears and stuff (cant remember all of it because its been so long since I read it) but the transmission was built to take a 3200 lb Mustang down the quarter in 9 seconds reliably, so I'm sure it would be good enough. I'll try to find the article online again.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In theory the T5 will hold up to a bit more abuse in the Z due to less weight to move around, plus the rear diff is shorter so that should help too.

If the engine is free, it's rarely a bad choice, as long as it doesn't cost too much to put in. If you're a fabricator then any free engine is a good choice.

Oh, plus I love the 5.0 as a budget V8. I like it more than the SBC swap, but not as much as the LS swaps.

I love the 5.0. Its the only reason I even got the Mustang. From day one of owning the Mustang the plan was to put it in another car, but of course back then the plan was to put it in the Type 65 Factory Five Coupe. That was before I bought the Z though and before I wanted to make my own completely custom chassis and suspension.

So in theory it will still be years from now because I want the Mustang to drive around while I do the chassis and suspension on the Z and have the engine in there last thing. But I'm also trying to get my Z running so after I graduate and have some place to go, I dont have to have it towed there. Another thing I've been thinking about is driving the Z as is while I pull the engine and transmission from the Mustang and part out the rest of the Mustang in an attempt to buy a more "economical" daily driver, like a Metro or something.

Oh, and after I have the Z how I want it, I'll have lots of parts to sell then too so I guess in the very long run I'll still get some money back.