HybridZ

Warning these pictures may contain material very disturbing to some people

It'd be interesting to hear the details of the crash from the driver, but at this point all visible indications would say the bald rear tires lost traction after getting light over the crest at speed.

Not trying to speculate, I mean something could have broken or who knows what else. Good thing is it doesn't appear that there were any serious injuries or worse.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those pictures are all too familiar. I wrapped my 76 in the exact same spot around a light pole but in the rain. I did it with stock l28 power though. I hope to hear the driver got out unscathed like I did.

I think my car sustained slightly more damage cause the pole didn't budge in my incident....

268650_33_full.jpg

Those pictures are all too familiar. I wrapped my 76 in the exact same spot around a light pole but in the rain. I did it with stock l28 power though. I hope to hear the driver got out unscathed like I did.

I think my car sustained slightly more damage cause the pole didn't budge in my incident....

268650_33_full.jpg

That's starting to sound like it's a problem with the roadway design now (assuming you weren't flying at mach 3).

• 2 weeks later...

its kinda haunting... because it reminds me to much of when i got T-Boned by a toyota Rav-4 doing 50, i was driving an 88 cherokee at the time. tranny cross member dropped because it bent the frame in... the seat was squished almost exactly the same.... lets just say that, that almost that exact damage happened to me but on a cherokee.

nothing happened to me except whiplash for a week. thank god i was so relaxed when it happened.

• 3 months later...

Greetings to those who posted concern for my well-being.

It's appreciated. My life could have been over but thankfully it's not. I had a lingering seatbelt injury for a couple of months but the rest were just very minor cuts and bruises.

My FantaZ is not over either. I purchased a '75 Z two days after this accident to swap the good parts into. I had someone who I thought would help me get back on the road by now that mas28O had referred me to, but he has not helped one bit since mas was in town. I was going to pay him to swap the stuff over. He even has a key to the storage location to get started.

Oh well since that fell through I've had to farm the work out here and there and do a little bit myself. I bought the '77 from Joey because I already had a 5+ year nightmare project car at that time and was tired of waiting for the rewards. I wanted a finished turnkey product.

After a couple of passes at the track in S.A. stuff started breaking. First the diff mount and all the damage that caused. Then the transmission, then the motor. Transmission was rebuilt by LMR in Houston. I drove over there and back on two successive Saturdays for that. Mas28O had the motor from his RX-7 rebuilt and shipped it to me. Mountains of money flowing out since the initial purchase of the car.

OK so I have a rebuilt and better car right? The guy that has not helped me with the current Z actually had everything PERFECT in the '77. I paid him to work out electrical gremlins and fix the little details that made this car better than when purchased. Problems with misses in the new motor led me to take it to a shop to do a crank relearn procedure as they had the tools. I called the fabricator up and was headed back to his home garage. I called mas up and described the incredible feeling of power in the new motor. It was awesome, literally!

Realize that most of the time the Z had been in S.A. it had been in a shop being worked on. Didn't even have the time to think about the expense of tires with all the other major problems. Besides, I had a pair of Mickey Thompson's for the car at home.

I was enjoying it so much that I did not want to take the exit to the guy's house just yet so I kept on driving around the loop. That decision cost me dearly, to say the least. I was only a couple more miles from home.

NO ONE hurt more than me by this crash...but I apologize to the HybridZ community and to Joey for ruining such a beautiful Z nonetheless. I put all my heart and desire and money into getting the FantaZ perfected and it's gone now.