HybridZ

Warning these pictures may contain material very disturbing to some people

i didnt quite get that last part... so you had originally crashed your Z, then you bought another "shell" to transfer parts, and when it was all said and done with you decided you wanted just a tad bit more joy out of it and something else happened to it?

Greetings to those who posted concern for my well-being.

It's appreciated. My life could have been over but thankfully it's not. I had a lingering seatbelt injury for a couple of months but the rest were just very minor cuts and bruises.

My FantaZ is not over either. I purchased a '75 Z two days after this accident to swap the good parts into. I had someone who I thought would help me get back on the road by now that mas28O had referred me to, but he has not helped one bit since mas was in town. I was going to pay him to swap the stuff over. He even has a key to the storage location to get started.

Oh well since that fell through I've had to farm the work out here and there and do a little bit myself. I bought the '77 from Joey because I already had a 5+ year nightmare project car at that time and was tired of waiting for the rewards. I wanted a finished turnkey product.

After a couple of passes at the track in S.A. stuff started breaking. First the diff mount and all the damage that caused. Then the transmission, then the motor. Transmission was rebuilt by LMR in Houston. I drove over there and back on two successive Saturdays for that. Mas28O had the motor from his RX-7 rebuilt and shipped it to me. Mountains of money flowing out since the initial purchase of the car.

OK so I have a rebuilt and better car right? The guy that has not helped me with the current Z actually had everything PERFECT in the '77. I paid him to work out electrical gremlins and fix the little details that made this car better than when purchased. Problems with misses in the new motor led me to take it to a shop to do a crank relearn procedure as they had the tools. I called the fabricator up and was headed back to his home garage. I called mas up and described the incredible feeling of power in the new motor. It was awesome, literally!

Realize that most of the time the Z had been in S.A. it had been in a shop being worked on. Didn't even have the time to think about the expense of tires with all the other major problems. Besides, I had a pair of Mickey Thompson's for the car at home.

I was enjoying it so much that I did not want to take the exit to the guy's house just yet so I kept on driving around the loop. That decision cost me dearly, to say the least. I was only a couple more miles from home.

NO ONE hurt more than me by this crash...but I apologize to the HybridZ community and to Joey for ruining such a beautiful Z nonetheless. I put all my heart and desire and money into getting the FantaZ perfected and it's gone now.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish I Lived in San Antonio so I could help you swap all of your parts to your new Z-Car.

Does anyone know of someone that can do this work in San Antonio? JustAFantaZ is looking for someone that can help him.

Mike

The local Z guys meet at champs americana on the second tuesday of each month, somebody there surely has a contact.

I can do the work but I might only have a few extra hours every weekend to help out, probably not beneficial. best of luck, hope he get's that beast back on the road soon, the Z car convention is in San Antonio in october of this year, plenty of time to put it back together!

• 5 weeks later...
I know I am replying to an old topic, but in light of this thread does anyone know the widest tires we can get on our cars. I plan on taking my wife out in my Z and I would hate for something like this to happen when I am hoving around 65 - 70 mph.

Don't think for a second that this thread has anything to do with "width" of the tire, but it would be quality of tire. I've never seen a problem with ANY Z running 225s, even at 120 mph on a road course. Cheap, bald tires are a serious problem, but you'll be just fine with a good, high performance tire. It's the same deal as brake parts, how much do you value your car & your life. These are not areas in which to be "cheap". Higher quality means Better performance means increased overall safety. Just my 2 cents.

Don't think for a second that this thread has anything to do with "width" of the tire, but it would be quality of tire. I've never seen a problem with ANY Z running 225s, even at 120 mph on a road course. Cheap, bald tires are a serious problem, but you'll be just fine with a good, high performance tire. It's the same deal as brake parts, how much do you value your car & your life. These are not areas in which to be "cheap". Higher quality means Better performance means increased overall safety. Just my 2 cents.

Ok, cool that puts me at ease, I would much rather pay more money for a newer item that I know is high quality than risk it on one that has been used quite a bit. I would probably check the reviews on the tires as well as look for the best quality, same for brakes. If Brembo is the best quality then I will wait a little longer to get them, just as an example. The value of me and the wife's life is worth much more than the extra nickle in my pocket, or else they might only find that nickle after the accident.

• 2 months later...

MAS28O brought his LSX RX-7 down to the Texas Mile this weekend and so the fabricator finally became motivated enough to work on my car in the days leading up to the event.

He repaired a section of the stainless steel exhaust that was collapsed; he and a friend of his did the fuel system (push-pin type), brake and clutch pedals and line bleeding, radiator and fan, Datsun to LS throttle linkage, and most of all cleaned up the wiring.

He didn't have it running by the time mas28O got to town on wed., but continued to work on new issues that popped up. '75 fuel tank return line was blocked. No amount of air pressure was going to break the rust free. Also, he traced a wiring issue down to a crimp that had come loose within the harness that Dynotech Engineering supplied to Joey originally.

The car started up Thursday evening and the tank return line was successfully bypassed early Friday morning. The fabricator attached an OBDII diagnostic port from his own truck since mine turned up missing. He continued to clean up the wiring inside when I left at 4 in the morning.

I drove the car to get inspected Friday afternoon and then it was off to the races to meet mas28O at SA Raceway.

we both got two passes before 11pm closing time. He did a best of 11.0 @ 133 in the RX-7 and I did a best of 11.5 @ 127. There is much room for improvement on the car and with those performance numbers. mas went on to do 196.2 at the Texas Mile, all motor. I drove the Z the 100 miles over to watch.

btw, there was a maroon '78 280Z at the Texas Mile that did 165.5mph. His plates read "V8 ZZZ", Texas. Does he post here?

Thanks for that offer of help, Sparky.

• 2 weeks later...
MAS28O brought his LSX RX-7 down to the Texas Mile this weekend and so the fabricator finally became motivated enough to work on my car in the days leading up to the event.

He repaired a section of the stainless steel exhaust that was collapsed; he and a friend of his did the fuel system (push-pin type), brake and clutch pedals and line bleeding, radiator and fan, Datsun to LS throttle linkage, and most of all cleaned up the wiring.

He didn't have it running by the time mas28O got to town on wed., but continued to work on new issues that popped up. '75 fuel tank return line was blocked. No amount of air pressure was going to break the rust free. Also, he traced a wiring issue down to a crimp that had come loose within the harness that Dynotech Engineering supplied to Joey originally.

The car started up Thursday evening and the tank return line was successfully bypassed early Friday morning. The fabricator attached an OBDII diagnostic port from his own truck since mine turned up missing. He continued to clean up the wiring inside when I left at 4 in the morning.

I drove the car to get inspected Friday afternoon and then it was off to the races to meet mas28O at SA Raceway.

we both got two passes before 11pm closing time. He did a best of 11.0 @ 133 in the RX-7 and I did a best of 11.5 @ 127. There is much room for improvement on the car and with those performance numbers. mas went on to do 196.2 at the Texas Mile, all motor. I drove the Z the 100 miles over to watch.

btw, there was a maroon '78 280Z at the Texas Mile that did 165.5mph. His plates read "V8 ZZZ", Texas. Does he post here?

Thanks for that offer of help, Sparky.

It was good to meet you again Eric.

1st time when you picked the car up in Ca,

Then when I came down with Mike for the Texas mile.

Your car is a monster and on stock suspension 11.5@127:mrgreen:

I'll post the video up for you in 2min, do you know if that 280z went faster than 165? I got that video of the interview right after it's priceless:burnout:

Nice times. What tires did you use? Is this with the 550whp 416 motor?
Yes, thanks. they were Mickey Thompson ET Streets I got from Joey. They scrape the fenders.

Thanks for posting that video, Shawn. I'm going to e-mail the link to some friends. Much appreciated.

• 4 weeks later...