HybridZ

240z handling potential

hmm, very interesting info guys. i've made my decision, and im gunna take the dive into the 240z world, as i do love their design and the cars in general. i suppose with enough determination, the sky is the limit :D

by the way, even if the car is my DD, i dont think putting on coilovers or really stiff shocks would really bother me. my past cars have had coilovers and i was fine driving them every day.

even if the car is my DD, i dont think putting on coilovers or really stiff shocks would really bother me. my past cars have had coilovers and i was fine driving them every day.

It's not really coilovers that would make for a stiff ride. It's really the ride frequency and making sure the shocks are correct for it.

This is getting a little into the weeds but I often wondered why a dual purpose car couldn't be setup using stacked coils.

Because 99.9% of the street/track car owners never, ever adjust anything on their suspension. They generally want one setting that works perfect on the street and perfect on the track. What they settle on is something that works OK on the street and keeps them out of trouble on the track.

And with regards to street safe roll bars I've often wondered why the floor couldn't be used rather than the roof. The current BTCC Vaxhaul Astra has an interesting floor treatment that looks poachable.

Cary

Yeh have wondered that myself. The answer probably is because race cars are able to use a full cage and its with full cages that most of the design effort has been done.

One area that is often neglected is the sills/rockers, its not hard to run square section tube underneath along the pinch welds and tie that in with a half cage and other structural parts. Good for jacking on too.

holy... 500lb springs. just take out the suspension and weld the strut to the frame.

good choice jay3, but to warn u, a Z car isnt as easy in daily driving as a mr2 miata civic, etc etc. its nice goin fast but once u mod it and daily drive, it gets anoying after a while... especially trying to U turn quickly in a narrow street.... i find the turning radius extra long...