HybridZ

Should I buy an engine hoist?

Beau M

I plan on pulling the engine in the next few months, and selling it cheap. Then, I have no idea how long it will be before I get a new one to swap in. How often is a hoist used during a swap? I'm sure it comes in handy when building mounts. I know i can get one for 150 or so in craigslist, but my biggest worry is space. My garage is on the small side, so I dont want to have this giant thing taking up space and not being used. With that said, should I buy one or rent one? Do they come in handy for other uses? I dont see me using it after I finish my swap. Thanks in advance for your input.

I don,t know where your located but if your fairly close you can borrow one of my hoists for a few days.

be VERY CAREFUL, because a DECENT hoist need not be real expensive but theres some dangerious junk on the market

renting one is a waste as they frequently rent for about 1/4 of there total cost per day, youll find you paided for it and don,t own it after a long drawn out swap or several easy ones, and youll need it several times durring an install, and not necessarily on the same day

this is a decent value

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=35915

something like this will probably get you hurt badly

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200305491_200305491

this info might help

http://forum.grumpysperformance.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=1018

Edited by grumpyvette

If you buy one then definitely get one that folds up when not in use. Otherwise they take up a lot of valuable garage floor space.

I recently got one of the foldable two-ton hoists at Harbor Freight. It was on sale and I had a $25 off coupon so it only cost me around $125. Before I bought it I would always just bum a "cherry picker" from one of my car buddies.

I would agree that a cherry picker is always a good thing to have around. I am a bit biased against Harbor Freight after I had an angle grinder blow up in my face(casing split, pieces everywhere, grinding disc went rolling down the road)

All I got was a fat lip, but I vowed never to buy from them again, and to steer people away whenever possible.

But I would recommend getting a hoist.

I debated this myself when I did my engine swap in my roomate/landlord's garage and didn't have all that much space to store a cherry picker. Instead I bought an overhead chain hoist from Harbor Freight for cheap (but with an acceptable weight rating). I did my engine swap in the backyard using a nice thick support beam from an awning. Just one small box in a corner of the garage after that instead of a piece of equipment that could get in the way.

I bought harbor freight's heavy duty unit, used it for my swap and sold it for what I paid for it when I got done. Granted, I did assemble it, but I was happy with it and will do the same thing again for my next project, and not have to store it in between.

Mike

I have the red torin that grumpy told you not to buy. Its a nice hoist and I would recommend it. Not sure why he would suggest something from harbor frieght over it. Same crap from china. just a different color!

I used mine to yank a huge piece of concrete out of the ground at one point as well.

while IVE used several differant designs in engine cranes successfully at differant locations I can assure you that there is a big differance in how well they work, that "red torin " is fully able to get the job done, (FOR THAT MATTER A LARGE TREE AND ONE OF THESE, CHAIN HOISTS WILL WORK)

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=631

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=33003

but its not so much a question of if it can be done, with some types of equipment as it is of can it be done SAFELY and EASILY, and the larger stands are noticably more stabile and have a longer reach,they lift the engine higher and are less likely to have clearance issues from some angles, or reach thier lift limit befiore the engine clears the engine compartment

Edited by grumpyvette

I may not have that exact model then. Never had any issues. I did buy mine used from a guy who bought it used (craigslist) so it may predate the one your talking about. I was able to grab a motor out of the back of an F150 without any trouble. God knows, the quality seems to decline daily as they cut costs on these things.

Evan

Look on Craigslist for people selling their hoists they bought and used once. I bought an HF 2-ton hoist that was used just once for $75. Renting a hoist from a place like Sunbelt Rentals is $30 a day. I can always sell my hoist for at least $50 if not $75.

I rented a hoist 3 times before I bought one. I figured that the first 3 rentals would have paid for a hoist so I just bit the bullet.

Its Harbor Freight quality ...it does the job for a home car guy but I wouldnt recommend it for a shop. Its not truely a heavy duty unit but it does the job and folds up standing straight when Im done leaving a small foot print. The only thing that I truely see as a fault is the piston, its slow....meaning you gotta pump a lot to get it up. And I would never trust leaving a hanging engine overnight a top my fender.:shock: Im sure better units would take fewer strokes! But for $220 Canadian its all I need.

Ive used it to take the outboard off the boat....move my engines around the shop ...and remove my RB off the pick up. Im sure there will be outher uses!

If you can.... buy it. And buy the best unit you can.

you really hit on a point I missed. When you rent one you a driven to get the job done ASAP. When you own it ....you can take your sweet ass time.

Yeah, but you only NEED it to pull the engine and put it back in, or somewhere. If you buy an engine stand, you just need to unbolt the trans, then you can cart it around and store it, or work on it whenever.

But thats if you intend on working on the engine. If you just need to swap an engine, it should just take a couple hours, unless you doing something custom.

I've had my cherry picker for about 3 years now. I am really glad that I bought it. It's been a very useful tool for moving anything heavy, and the occasional engine removal. Mine was a cheap auto-store variety. One of the caster wheels' mounting plate bent. Last weekend I hammered it back into shape and welded the plates to the hoist. Works like brand new again.

I've moved a total of 4 engines with this thing, and the 150$ I spent was well worth it.

I have a cherry picker style engine lift & the chain hoist that I can hang from a beam inside the shop. I can say they bolth have their place with ease of a job. The roll around floor unit is very nice for pulling a motor and getting it moved around once it's out. But then again the chain hoist is very nice for the final install and getting things lined up. I say this because you have nothing on the floor around the car. So that frees up alot of working space. Then again with a chain hoist alone you would need ta push the car in and out place. Plus you then need the room to move the car from under the motor.

If you go chain hoist make sure you have a beam that can take it!!!!! I have seen that go wrong before. Just think of the damage that could happen if that beam lets go. If your lucky no one gets hurt or killed. But your ride could look like a monster truck just drove over the front of your car along with the motor damage from the fall.:shock:

Also, I have found with my 240Zs... You need the front of the car jacked up for the legs of the picker too get under the Z. The car just sits too low for most of the units I have used for the job. With that your going VERY high with the motor for clearing the front end. So keep your lifting chains on the motor short or you could find yourself in a bind.

If it was me I would go chain hoist.... You can hang it and leave it with the chains tied up. No space needed for storage. Plus then you have a mini crane for getting heavy items in and outa truck beds. I even use mine for loading motorcycles into trucks so.....

Hope it helps and good luck.