HybridZ

Reconsidering my options

B00STDZ

I have come upon some bumps, or what could be bumps in the road....

Well, I know alot of you have seen pictures of my car and know the kit combo I chose for my car.

I am beginning to reconsider my options, and considering NOT keeping the cal z rear kit. Havent been very vocal about it on hbdz so I thought I would lay it out. In one way I am drawn to the uniqueness of the rear cal z body kit and in another way I've come to believe that this kit if more trouble than its worth. Seems like the pros of the kit is getting smaller and smaller in my opinion.

Pros-

Unique look (at this point the only pro I can think of with the type of car that it is)

Cons-

Wheel Wells need to be refinished, I know, what alot of you guys have said is true and cutting them back to run a wider tire

Why do I need such a wide tire? If I get the wheel wells fixed and swap the suspension out to coilovers I could run like a 14-15" wide tire. Remember this car will be street driven mainly and only taken to the track every once in awhile

Upon further investigation I am figuring out the look on the rear of the car really doesnt match the front of the car

Can only use 2 types of spoilers to make it looks decent and not riced, either a touring wing or a whale tail. As much as this car is already a cop magnet a racing wing screams send me to jail for street racing.

It just seems like it's taking more trouble to make it look right than its worth.

And as for the rear kit I am moving towards would be the subtle z rear flares.

Pros would be-

Much broader choice in spoilers

Not have to spend ALOT of extra money getting a custom made wheel and a custom made tire.

Not worrying about how the wheel wells appear through the "vents" on the rear kit. (in my opinion this cheapens the look of the car and borders upon rice)

Would match my front fenders

Cons-

Have to take off my old rear kit... would have wasted time

:ugg: Am I totally off? Am I on the right track? Remember this is a STREET car not a race car.

I don't think you can go wrong with the clean, flowing lines of the rear subtle z package. Certainly not a "bolt on and go" affair, but as you have pointed out the expenses of a wider rim and tire combo for the cal z on a primarily street driven car. I feel your pain about the never ending, added expenses that these projects seem to throw at you. Bottom line, comit to your plan and see it through even if it takes you way longer than anticipated to find the necessary funds,time, energy, etc... Me personally, am a stickler for the details and have dragged out my own complete rebuild waaayyyy past the amount of time I was intending, but it will be done the way I have always envishioned my 240 to be. Only you know what's right for your build, but if your asking for opinions heres my vote for the subtle z rears.

"Money money money....Nickel, dime, quarter, dollar, five, ten, twenty, fifty, hundred, hundredS...Yeah sounds like a Z quandary to me." Truer words have never sounded so clear as this statement, perhaps the mantra for the quintessential Datsun build.

It seems like it would be cheaper and look better if I just went with the subtle z rear flares...

for the cal z kit to look good I need wide rims and tires on the back, with the subtle z kit it wouldnt look AS bad with the rims I have.

And as far as wide tires on a daily driver... You never keep tires forever and haveing to spend close to $800-$900 every so often ISNT appealing.

As far as college goes, Yes I am planning on going to college but I am fortunate enough to have parents to pay for my bachelors degree.

Parents wont put any money toward the z though, Thats all on me :)

I purchased the kit from John Washington at Reactionresearch.com well over a year and half ago but have yet to install. I am sloooowwwllyy gathering all parts for a l28et swap,completely adjustable suspension and Wilwoods fore and aft. I am getting ready to strip the undercoating, apply rustbullet or por-15, apply new seam sealer and most likely soda blast the exterior prior to paint. I have not posted any photos of my build because it is crawling along at a snails pace. Once I dig into the body work/stripping I will start a new thread. I have debated a few times in the past as to selling the kit and just quickly finishing my build but I reaallly like the coke bottle looks and extra width it provides and just couldn't do it. I will be starting a night course in 3d annimation in six months for 13 months so I'm hoping to get the ball rolling on my car. Either way you go on your build best of luck.

Doesn't the subtle Z kit still add about 4in to the back?

Your current wheels would still not fill the space right.

I say cut and reweld your rear fenders and buy proper sized wheels and tires, keeping the JCR kit in the rear.

Cal z adds 3 inches

YZ adds 3 inches

Subtle z adds 1.5 inches

Dude, what's the hurry? I've been building mine for NINE years now!!!

Click the build thread at the bottom of this post to see where I am currently.

I'm finally on track....I think ;)

Build it the way you envision it. If $$$ are not present at the time. Wait for a while until they become avaliable.

Just my .02

Build it the way you envision it. If $$$ are not present at the time. Wait for a while until they become avaliable.

Just my .02

Planned on taking it to a car show in May, But I dont think it's gonna happen...

Planned on taking it to a car show in May, But I dont think it's gonna happen...

I wouldn't rush the build in a way that you don't 100% like just to make it to a car show. Like dsommer said, build it the way you want. If you can't do what you want right now, do what you can and finish the rest when you can. Projects are never finished so why rush it?

Yeah and I was "planning" on taking mine to ZCON in Sep. Possible yes, however funding it is sketchy at this moment. I still need some major parts. Transmission (G-force or A spec geared tranny), custom wiring, water/meth injection, body work on and on.

Just my .02

I agree 100%.