HybridZ

Engine Removal. A different route?

Can the engine, tranny, and front suspention be removed by unbolting the tranny mount and front crossmember and by using a lift, just raise the body up and roll the engine tranny and front wheels off to the side? I've seen it done on newer imports, why not a Z? Seems like it'd be a lot quicker and less risk of damaging bodywork than by using an engine hoist.

Me and some friends unbolted the trans dragged it out the side then unbolted the motor, lifted off the mounts, slide it back in the tranny tunnel area, turned it on its side and drug it out. Took about 1hr most of it was BS'n around.

I was just curious if it could all be removed as a single unit as it all needs to come out. The tranny, belly pan, and engine bay need paint/ POR-15, the suspention pieces powder coated and rebushed, and new engine needs to be installed.

Getting help that'll show up when they say they will (if at all) is pretty tough so for the most part this will all be a one man show! I don't trust myself lowering an engine with a hoist with out someone there to steady the engine and guide things into place. Call me over cautious.

I was just curious if it could all be removed as a single unit as it all needs to come out. The tranny, belly pan, and engine bay need paint/ POR-15, the suspention pieces powder coated and rebushed, and new engine needs to be installed.

Getting help that'll show up when they say they will (if at all) is pretty tough so for the most part this will all be a one man show! I don't trust myself lowering an engine with a hoist with out someone there to steady the engine and guide things into place. Call me over cautious.

Theres Zers in TX man, some beer and pizza and your golden :mrgreen:

I've done it numerous times. It makes for easy removal and fairly quick as well.

If you are planning on doing engine bay cosmetics, and have a 2x4 or 4x4 cradle made up to roll it all out in one piece once it's dropped, it makes it easier. Same as the newer imports.

I last did this on a 77 280Z where I was salvaging the engine/transmission/front suspension. The rear came out after the whole front was removed. Then, it got cut up with a sawzall and a torch...

But you can do it for normal repairs as well. Heck, if you leave the struts hanging, with the calipers attached, you can make it quicker by just removing the two bottom strut bolts, and the T/C rod bolts...you just let the strut assemblies and brakes hang...unopened, ready for reinstall.

It works for me.

San Antonio is the nearest Z club and Corpus is 3 hours south of that! Nothing else for another 3 hrs then you're in Mexico! But if any of yall are in the area, by all means feel free to drop in, help out, shoot the schit, what ever! Beer and grub are always on hand, of course!