HybridZ

ME's, where do you work, what do you do?

Challenger

I know there are quite a few engineers here and I know quite a few are MEs. Im going into mechanical engineering and have been thinking about what kind of job Id want to have.

So I have 3 big loves in my life, cars/motorcycles, guns, and planes. Each of them have use for engineers, even working in the aeronautical field I wouldnt neccesarily need to be an aerospace engineer although Im considering it. The other fields Im sure would have plenty of use for MEs.

So my question is, of the MEs here where do you work and what do you do there? Better yet anyone in any of the fields mentioned earlier?

Thanks

Edit- Forgot to mention, I looked at a couple websites including ruger, lockheed martin, and northrop grumman, all of them had a job position for a ME. Although the 2nd and 3rd included many other including CS, EE, etc.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I designed automated packaging machines out of College and then moved into a production environment supporting a major manufacturing plant by designing, specifying, and purchasing high speed packaging and automated assembly equipment. Now I just design consumer goods, mostly working on innovation and "the next big thing" type of stuff. I use a ton of CAD and my imagination. Unfortunately, it's not car, planes, or gun related. If it were, it would be a bit more exciting. Sitting in an office/lab all day makes me wish I had gone the CE or Architectural route.

I am a Mechanical Field Engineer for a construction firm in Prudhoe Bay, AK. Work a 3 week on and off schedule. I really do not like sitting behind a desk all day, but it seems like I am in the office way to much lately, but it is -61°F outside. I work mostly structural and piping problems. Really use about ½ my prior 20 as a pipefitter/welder and ½ my ME learning to do my job. I have never used any math other than basic algebra since I graduated, but have used fluids, heat transfer, some thermo and calculating stress for pipe and steel.

Work in the Technical Services Department of a Centrifugal Compressor Manufacturer. When not in the field, I answer technical problems for customers. This can deal anywhere from specifying pumps and systems to rework and redesign of our machine or our machine's systems to conform to the customer's needs.

Really, this happens in the field during commissioning a lot of the time. Meaning I'm at a site, halfway across the world with nobody else but myself to figure it out and tell them what to do to fix the problem. Sure, I get a lot of support if I need it... but this stuff always comes up when it's midnight, or the weekend back at the factory and nobody is around to do anything for some time...and the answer/solution is needed now.

I could not work in the Engineering Department. I have a real problem coming into the office at 8am and sitting in front of the computer in a cubicle doing drawings or searching specs all day. Every day. In business casual. Argh...

I come in to the 'office' which may be a sea container, and usually am in jeans and a denim shirt. I get to go out and supervise construction, all the way to commissioning and startup of the machine and handover to the customer (and training them to use it, and in some cases repair or overhaul it.)

It doesn't involve working on guns, cars, or planes...but I've used all three in the performance of my job within the last 6 months!

Does that count?

And occasionally, I get to go to arctic places like SHO and be abused by the locals...but that was with a different compressor company (North Slope of Alaska has the largest concentration of Atlas Copco ZR machines in continental North America. Puerto Rico is #2...) Every wellhead has one or two... But that job was a long way down the feeding chain from where I am now.

CE = Civil Engineering.

I'm sort of on the same boat as you. I still have a few years before I graduate but, i'm always wondering what I'll do. My interest's are similar to yours mine being cars, weapons (all) and electronics (actually thinking of double majoring).

Every time I've attended a job fair here at Cal Poly I find myself trying to get the most info from a Raytheon rep. http://www.raytheon.com/ourcompany/ Seems to spark most of my interest. I think you and I would agree that working side by side with the military would be awsome. It even gets me thinking that maybe after I graduate to enlist for the Navy or Air force because i'm sure that will always helps especially when your dealing with weapons.

^^ Must be Civil Engineering, since Computer Science is CS, but maybe there is a CE.

Keep in mind that ~80% of the ME's are not technical, we do a lot of project management, or sales / marketing.

For me, I started off getting a maintenance Engineer internship at the Willy Wonka Candy factory (believe it or not). I did testing of the steam traps, dust collection, I even got to crawl into a sewer on a daily basis. :puke: I got to see how they make Nerds, gobstoppers, etc. I got to learn a lot about plant management and packaging too. I also learned a lot by hanging out in the machine shop. The best part was driving the electric fork-trucks around, lol. In case you didn't know, there aren't such things as Oompa-Loopas. They're mostly Mexicans that make the stuff. :lmao:

After I graduated in from UIUC in the midwest, I wanted to return to Portland, even though there were no jobs. I worked for my Dad doing a thermo / heat and mass transfer of a solar distillation device.

Next, I got a job as a Design Engineer, doing contract work in CAD. I designed a lot of inspection fixtures for Precision Castparts, whose main customers were for IGT engines like Rolls-Royce, Pratt and Whitney, GE, etc. I would model 2D prints of the turbines into 3D models, then design fixtures with Go / No go gages, X-ray inspection carts, throat gages, etc. Then I'd have to make the detail prints (sometimes well over 100 detail drawings per assembly with inspection sheets for the machine shop CMM guys to make) I'd also design chills and chill-chills for airframe castings, etc. I even got to work on some air intake grill for the F22 or something like that. Also did a lot of CAD for patten shops. I also did a contract with ESCO to reverse engineer in to CAD a giant link of a track for an earth mover...the thing was 2 feet tall, three foot wide and like 5 ft long!!

I got laid off from the Design Engineer job (because the owner was a crook), and worked in a plastic injection molding factory where I learned a lot about core & cavity dies, and the whole process.

Then I had an opportunity to work at a software company that makes CAD packages as a Quality Engineer. I've worked with modeling, Simulation (dynamic stuff like velocities, accelerations, forces, friction etc. like ADAMS). Now I'm currently doing stress analysis simulation, and getting into CFD, heat / mass transfer, multi-physics and mechanical event simulation.

It's pretty cool, but I agree with the others. Being stuck in an office does have it's disadvantages (except for the fact I get to bring my dog in to work with me everyday and wear shorts, t-shirt and flip-flops if I want). :)

Everything is so global now, often times you have to wake up early to work with the folks in Europe, and sometimes stay late working with Asia.

Hope this helps...

Im interested in what ME's here do too. Im graduating in December with a BS in ME from NCSU. Im like Tony in that I really, really dont want a desk job...hoping I can find something in Racing since I live in Mooresville. My dream of course is, like everybody else, I want to a start a shop that builds aftermarket parts for cars.

I have already completed a co-op with a local Robotics company that builds robotic end effectors, so I got an introduction into robotics and manufacturing. Touring some of the plants and getting a first hand look at everything involved in manufacturing cars was amazing, but not something that really grabbed my interest.

Anyway my point is I'm really up in the air as far as what I want to do: Continue my education and get my MS, Try and find a job in Racing or the automotive field, or just give something different a try like manufacturing or .....?

Sitting in an office/lab all day makes me wish I had gone the CE or Architectural route.

:icon56:

I work at a CE firm. I sit on my butt all day. Our projects are few and far in between these days, and when we do have them, they go too quickly for us to do any field work.

When we do field work it consists of taking pictures of screwed up concrete or pin-flags laid by utility companies.

You know, this always interested me. I started out as a criminal justice major when I was 18, at 19 I started turning wrenches and got more interested in the technical fields (which is what ive always been into). I went to an Automotive Tech School at 20 (Universal Technical Institute). I really loved the school and have a passion for the work in automotive like everyone else here does. I worked at the Nissan dealer for about a year and I currently hold half of my nissan master tech creds. I'm 24 now, I feel like maybe I'm too old to start working on an ME degree... If I could go back, the things I would change :(

Well, I guess I can chime in here. I graduated almost two years go with a BS in ME and have been working for the local power company 1.5 yrs now and love it. Honestly because as some of you stated, I never wanted to sit in a cube/office all day long. I would go crazy! Now I am working as a project manager and get to go outside pretty much as I feel. This is the only reason why I can have lunch with Cygnusx1 several times a week.

I plan to make a move in the company within the next yr or so to do some distribution engineering...as long as I am not in the office all day! =)

You guys are lucky you were able to get your degrees and are working in your chosen fields for the most part. Due to some medical problems with my eyes, I still haven't finished getting my EE yet, and I'm 36, but I'm not giving up. I've got enough credits to get an Associate's Degree with one more class, and then transfer to the 4 year school of my choice, but am currently looking for a job again after getting laid off. I do computer IS/IT work. If anyone knows of a place hiring in the Portland, Orygun area, I'd appreciate a heads up.

Greg

Currently I am working as a contractor on a DOE reservation completing construction/startup/testing of a depleated uraniumhexifloride reprocessing facility. It's about 40-60 field-office work. I think i would enjoy it more if i had been here from the start and if it was not located in southern OH.

My last job I worked as a project engineer for manufacture of capital equipment for pharmaceudical clean utilities. I really enjoyed this job. I got to help develop solutions to help customers meet their needs, design the equipment, oversee the fabrication, resolve issues that arose from testing and help with onsite start up.

say, anyone out there looking for a clean utilities process engineer? self promotion> :mrgreen:

The nice thing about mechanical engineering is that it is (IMHO of course) the broadest engineering discipline. In college my non ME friends complained that the F.E. (Fundamentals of Engineering) exam should be renamed the M.E. because only ME's had all of the topics covered by the test.

Best of luck!

-Gabe

I'm 24 now, I feel like maybe I'm too old to start working on an ME degree... If I could go back, the things I would change :(

24 old I must be missing things. I put almost 20 years in the pipe trades as a Pipefitter and welder. One back injury and it was either give out buggies at Wal-Mart or do something else. So in my 40s I went back to school a got a BS in Mechanical Engineering Technology. I took my EIT and am now a Licensed Professional Engineer. You will probably do better that a lot of the kids out of High School, you have a work ethic and a lot of them don’t. Some will say that the MET degree is not a real engineering degree, but it has got me where I am today and most of them do not have a PE. Look at MET and other options. If you make up your mind and put the effort in this you will succeed.

You guys are lucky you were able to get your degrees and are working in your chosen fields for the most part. Due to some medical problems with my eyes, I still haven't finished getting my EE yet, and I'm 36, but I'm not giving up. I've got enough credits to get an Associate's Degree with one more class, and then transfer to the 4 year school of my choice, but am currently looking for a job again after getting laid off. I do computer IS/IT work. If anyone knows of a place hiring in the Portland, Orygun area, I'd appreciate a heads up.
I dont know if its an option for you but PSU, OSU, and OIT have a great program setup for juniors and seniors in engineering and is a great way to get experience working as an engineer in different several different companies doing real engineering work. I myself have been through this program and had a good experience http://mecop.ous.edu/ is the website if you or, anyone else is interested. I do have to mention though that due to the economy they cut back quite a bit on how many interns were taken (last year I think around 400 interns were placed, this year many including myself didnt get placed)

I know there are quite a few engineers here and I know quite a few are MEs. Im going into mechanical engineering and have been thinking about what kind of job Id want to have.

So I have 3 big loves in my life, cars/motorcycles, guns, and planes. Each of them have use for engineers, even working in the aeronautical field I wouldnt neccesarily need to be an aerospace engineer although Im considering it. The other fields Im sure would have plenty of use for MEs.

So my question is, of the MEs here where do you work and what do you do there? Better yet anyone in any of the fields mentioned earlier?

Thanks

Edit- Forgot to mention, I looked at a couple websites including ruger, lockheed martin, and northrop grumman, all of them had a job position for a ME. Although the 2nd and 3rd included many other including CS, EE, etc.

I dont know how close you are to graduating but if you havent gotten any experience working (for pay, or volunteer work) I highly recommend you look around to see if anything is available. Experience can teach you many things. Sure you may know your interest now, but it can change a lot simply by working at one company or another. I know several guys who are totally into cars and everything but are extremely happy working in an industry nothing to do with cars. At the same time it can teach you that you really DO want to work in the automotive industry after all, which in itself is good to confirm.

If you cant get a paid internship, see if a professor will be willing to have you volunteer in his lab doing research. This is something I never did, as I wanted to make money, but I regret that decision immensely. There is some really awesome research going on ALL the time. This can also give you an excellent reference to use later and, who knows, if you like what hes doing you might end up going to grad school under him. Formula or Baja SAE clubs are EXCELLENT experience if your school has one. The professors that run these clubs are typically car guys and its good to be on a first name basis with them and you might get in touch with company reps at the competitions your team goes to. I'm doing my senior design project for the Formula SAE team next fall most likely, REALLY looking forward to it.

As for me, I'm set for graduating with my ME degree next winter or spring (depending on how much I want to pump up my GPA). I've worked in several companies throughout my time in school. I've worked in a small company here in Corvallis designing a electrolysis filtration unit to be put to use in paper mills. It would filter out lignin (a potent biofuel) out of the waste products of the pulping process, it would also generate hydrogen. It actually ended up recovering more "energy" than it took to run it, quite amazing (my memory is hazy on the details right now). I've also worked two summers writting AutoCAD macros and scripts for a company. Basically to automate some of their more mundane design tasks to speed up their production schedule and eliminate errors on the CAM side of things. Last summer I spent 6 months(through the above program) working in a more of a manufacturing engineering role, desiging fixtures helping improve production processes. Finally saved up enough money to buy my Z too!

I'm actually looking for more work for this summer as well, so if anyone has any openings for a ME senior let me know... I work hard (and for cheaper than a "graduated" engineer...heck you can pay me in Z parts :D ).

At this point I dont have any experience in the field. I actually graduate HS in a few months. I am accepted to a college for mechanical engineering and Ill have already taken most of my engineering physics, calculus, etc by this fall when I go to my 4 year. (running start program at community college)

I know interests change in some cases, but I think Im slightly different. I have liked those 3 things give or take a few smaller hobbies for most of my life. I really dont see them changing significantly.