HybridZ

240 vs 280 weight comparison

I have seen severl threads before that had people saying that 280's werent worth the extra weight.

I was just doing some thinking earlier. 95% of 280z owners take off the big bumpers and go with the lighter ones or no bumpers at all. Almost all of the performance 240z builds use the heavier R200 rear which the 280z already has. Whats the difference after considering these? Ive read the 280 has beefier sub-frames. Wouldnt everyone want this?!?!?!?!

To get the correct answer you need to find out if anyone has weighed a clean 240Z shell vs a clean 280Z shell. The 280Z has a lot more stuff you can take off, other than the bumpers. It's all about the accessories, HVAC, noise control, emissions, door design, harnesses, electronics.........

Shell to shell would be the only fair comparison.

Me, I turn up the boost to forget about a few extra pounds.

Get an as rust free shell as you can and plan your build.

Exactly. For racing classes where weight is an issue, then the 240Z is the better choice. For a street car it doesn't matter and the cleanest, rust free chassis you can afford it the car to start with.