HybridZ

2jz in a 280zx

gdZilla280zx

This swap hasn't been done much, and I havn't seen ANY good documentation on it.

If you're not doing it yourself, and having a shop do it, expect to pay at least 3k apart from just the cost of the engine. If you're talking about the turbo varient, expect to put at least 8k into the total swap if you want it done well.

If you're going to do it yourself and you have a welder and know how to fabricate, I can imagine getting the swap costs down to about 1k apart from the engine/trans cost.

Parts you're likely going to need:

Engine

Transmission

Driveshaft (custom, or modified)

ECU

Wiring Harness

All sensors

Engine Mounts

Tranny Mount

Radiator

Guages

Many other misc items that come up like figuring out how you're going to convert to a cable throttle setup (stock is a mechanical arm).

Why are you wanting to do this swap? I can think of at least 30 other engines that are better in almost every way besides raw power, which is way over hyped in the 2JZ realm.

You might start with the Toyota L6 forum where a number of JZ swaps are being done (or have been done) in S30's and even a Z31 and Z32 swap.

Why are you wanting to do this swap? I can think of at least 30 other engines that are better in almost every way besides raw power, which is way over hyped in the 2JZ realm.

That's a laughable statement and you'll be hard-pressed to prove (even at least explain) that there are "at least 30 other engines that are better in almost every way." You have some qualifying to do. Also, it's that same old forbidden language on HybridZ: "there is no best." If there is a best, you can be sure the 2JZGTE is on the short lists of a lot of people whom you respect, guys that know their stuff and could care less about the Fast and Furious fanboy hype of the 2JZ-GTE. Even the 2JZGE is a fantastic motor in n/a form but has been proven to handle nitrous and high boost.

:icon56:

I guess that statement did come off a bit assish. Sorry for that.

My point is that unless you're Mr.Moneybags then there are tons of engines to better suit your needs. The 2JZ in my eyes is a pointless swap if you're staying under the 400hp mark, and doesn't REALLY make sense compared to a lot of the options from the 400-800hp ballpark.

Things that keep the 2JZ from being a serious contender for MOST PEOPLE:

1. Price - It's an insanely expensive engine to build.

2. Size/Weight - It's an iron block DOHC inline 6. They're huge and heavy.

3. Complexity of a modern engine - It's no different than most EFI engines, but a carb'ed engine swap is infinately easier to wire up.

The price and weight are a HUGE DEAL! The reason why so many people have done the SBC conversion in Z cars is because they're dirt cheap, and with aluminum heads and intake they're not really all that heavy, and put the weight far back and low down.

The reason I press this issue, is because to me the author of this thread probably doesn't know that much about actually working on a car, why else would he simply ask such a simple question like "what do i need" without showing signs that he's searched. If this is true then he's probably never ridden in a 300hp/2200 pound vehicle before and doesn't realize how deathly fast that is for a street car. And if that was the HP goal here's the engines I'd recommend before recommending a 2JZ:

327 Chevy

350 Chevy

383 Chevy

5.0 Ford

351W Ford

289 Ford

302 Ford

LS1

LS2

L28ET

KA24ET

KA24DET

SR20DET

VG30ET

VG30DET

VQ35DE

Ford Lima Turbo 4

1UZFE

2UZFE

3UZFE

VH45DE

This is just scratching the surface really. And you might say "but nobody has done some of those swaps" well he's in a S130 car, in which the 2JZ is uncharted territory as well.

My statement that "There are 30+ engines that are better in almost every way" was more about what his goals probably are. If he wants to build a 9 second drag car then the 2JZ starts looking a lot better than most of those engines I just listed. But if he want's a street car that doesn't take too much to make handle well, and will blow the doors off almost any car he pulls up against then I'd say the 2JZ is completely overkill.

• Administrators

Uh, yeah. Why is that every time someone asks about a specific engine swap, 11 people tell him he should be using something else? Can we ease up on that a bit, pretty please?