HybridZ

Is it possible to make my 280zx an AWD car?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Grim and I had a beer-fueled internet engineering brainstorming session once on how to do it with a SR20 FWD motor, an engineering shop, and a lot of money and time.

Possible? Yes,

Easy? HELL NO!

Cheap? only if you're Bill Gates or Warren Buffet and figure a mill as petty change.

Grim and I had a beer-fueled internet engineering brainstorming session once on how to do it with a SR20 FWD motor, an engineering shop, and a lot of money and time.

Possible? Yes,

Easy? HELL NO!

Cheap? only if you're Bill Gates or Warren Buffet and figure a mill as petty change.

:mrgreen: it would be pretty badass tho

I've emailed that guy with the 280ZX 4x4 a few years ago. I think it was a Nissan 720 4x4 with a Z22 engine. Those are 6-lug hubs, same as all Nissan trucks.

A truck has a IFS setup with a small R180 diff hanging under the engine. Not what you want for a low ground clearance car.

If you can find an AWD steering rack like out of a Skyline that would be a good start.

Then there's always the SR20DET like you said... Pulsar running gear. Nissan did make a awd Stanza but the drivetrain may not hold up to 200 foot pounds of torque. :D

You could always take a front wheel drive engine/transmission and turn it 90 degrees. You one drive flange for the front diff, and one drive flange for the rear diff. I wanted to do this with a Caddy Northstar engine, and their 4T80e transmission (very strong).

Justin

• 1 month later...