HybridZ

deep burbly ferrari sound? (not f1 sound)

olie05

I know there have been countless thread about how to get the f1 sound in your car and it basically comes down to having lots of cylinders and voodoo in the exhaust. Thats not what i'm after. I'm looking to improve the sound that my car already has at 3-4k rpm. It's a nasty snarl that makes pigeons fly away and everyone turn around. Most of you probably know what i'm talking about, but in case you don't i'm thinking something like this:

anyway, how do I make that sound come through most of the rpm range, instead of just a single band? Equal length headers? Twice pipes? ITBs?<--not exhaust i know...

• Administrators

V-12. Has that VERY distinct V-12 growl. Inline 6 and even some V-6's have that same growl Sounds very much like an L-6 with glass packs. :wink: Add a cam to your L-6 that lopes at idle, glass pack muffler and your 98% there, (sound/tone wise that is)!

For that "sound" on the cheap and easy, my vote is just add a lopey cam to this exhaust….

Edited by BRAAP

• Administrators
I

Cam, High Compression, twice pipes with glasspacks, would do it.

Here's the twice pipes:

That's IT! :2thumbs:

BTW, that is how my username came about. My original Z back in the late '80's through mid '90's, L-28 powered, dual exhaust with glass packs. Sports car club I raced with for several years nicknamed the car BRAAP, name stuck...

BTW, that is how my username came about. My original Z back in the late '80's through mid '90's, L-28 powered, dual exhaust with glass packs. Sports car club I raced with for several years nicknamed the car BRAAP, name stuck...

very cool side story.

:)

• 2 years later...

Bump

Ferrari's, Subaru's and others use a flat plan crank and most other used a cross plane design. The flat plain Subaru 4 is like the sound of (2) two cylinders or the Ferrari v12 is like (2) 6 cylinders running together. The davantages is less rotating mas, more power and it sounds awesome.

Bellow is a like:

http://www.projectm71.com/Cross_FlatPlane.htm

http://www.autozine.org/technical_school/engine/smooth4.htm