HybridZ

General rule for a seam weld

yo2001

I was hoping someone can teach me few things on the general rule how to seam weld the chassis.

How long does the weld has to be? I've been running a bead about 1.5 to 2 inches.

What about the spacing between the weld?

I'm using TIG to weld, I guess it's acceptable. Do I need to run a second bead to convex the bead?

Here is a picture of the weld. Let me hear what you guys think. Thanks

01-21-09215Medium.jpg

Hmmm i think most people do spot welds every inch or so kinda like...

---0---0---0---0---0---0 as opposed to ---0000000---0000000---

lol dont know if that helps or not but its done that way to as to not cause

distortion in the metal from the excessive heat from a full bead.

I assume you are trying to stiffen up the chassis right? If so then go with the stitch welding, thin gauge sheet metal warps like crazy. If you must weld a full seam the go with the stitch welding and keep jumping around to avoid overheating the metal and making it warp kinda like..

---0---0---0---0--- then --00--00--00--00--- then -000-000-000-000- finally 0000000000000 then u have a full seam....

hope this helps.

Weld an inch, skip two. I started at one inch welds one inch apart and was told to spread them out:http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=95739

I wouldn't do it with a tig unless you have a lot of time to kill. I'd also STRONGLY recommend building a rotisserie. When you start doing all the frame rails underneath you're going to want one bad.

Hmmm i think most people do spot welds every inch or so kinda like...

---0---0---0---0---0---0 as opposed to ---0000000---0000000---

lol dont know if that helps or not but its done that way to as to not cause

distortion in the metal from the excessive heat from a full bead.

I assume you are trying to stiffen up the chassis right? If so then go with the stitch welding, thin gauge sheet metal warps like crazy. If you must weld a full seam the go with the stitch welding and keep jumping around to avoid overheating the metal and making it warp kinda like..

---0---0---0---0--- then --00--00--00--00--- then -000-000-000-000- finally 0000000000000 then u have a full seam....

hope this helps.

Thats for body work.

Weld an inch, skip two. I started at one inch welds one inch apart and was told to spread them out:http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=95739

I wouldn't do it with a tig unless you have a lot of time to kill. I'd also STRONGLY recommend building a rotisserie. When you start doing all the frame rails underneath you're going to want one bad.

Thanks. Exsactly what I needed to know. I guess I should shorten up the bead and add few extra.

Right now, all I have is time and tig welder. lol I can go borrow my friend's millermatic if I must. The rotisserie is to come, right now I'm just trying to weld up what I can reach.

i would also recommend wire welding it dont have to as clean you will spend more time cleaning for tig. And nobody likes the :evil: grinder:evil: