HybridZ

88 - 300zxt Timing belt Change

JSM

Searched but didn't find much. How difficult is it to change the timing belt on this car. Service manual seams to make it pretty easy, but getting at everything and frustration level is not mentioned!

Thanks!

it also depends how stock the car is.. ie if you have all of the emissions equipment, stock fan and fan shroud etc, then it's quite a pain just to get to it.

removing the crank pulley bolt is generally the most difficult part of it all, having impact wrenches handy is definitely a good thing to have for removing it. you'll also want some sort of puller to remove the crank pulley, and crank timing sprocket. (i used block of wood and hammer, but i was lucky and my pulley was not stuck on there very good)

make sure you replace every seal you can when you're there (front crank seal, both cam seals, water pump etc) as well as the woodruf key(or keys depending on your year)

a good Complete list of parts you should replace can be found here:

http://z31.com/wiki/doku.php?id=parts_list:timingbelt

definitely make sure you replace the CHTS and its subharness when you're in there, cause it's a royal pain to try and replace that with everything assembled. test the chts before you install it if possible to eliminate any possibility of installing a faulty sensor.

mostly tedious and frustating because of the amount of gear you need to dismount to get at the timing belt. On the bright side once you get it all off you can inspect the stuff you took off to see if maybe time for a change. I found some broken studs etc plus a couple pounds of gooey mud to get rid of.

One thing I have encountered working on the Z31 is you need to double the amount of time you think it will take.

Anytime I work on the 84, I have no expectations on when I will finish a particular task. I would have a different outlook if it was my DD. That is when you starting hating to work on your car, watching the clock and calculating how much sleep you will get.