HybridZ

VIDEO Z31 turbo ss tranny instal

big-phil

awesome PHIL!! I have been wondering where you have been!.. I started tuning on my Z.. but I dont want to take anything away from this post so check it out on the non tech.. What color are you going with? Also man I think you will really love the Tranny. I have the 240sx tranny and Im not really sure how long it will last.. I might have to pick another one up as a spare before DNI.. Looking good dude!

Looking good phil!!! You going to make it to DNI?? Im glad to see that you are painting your car too. The rustoleum paint doesnt satisfy your paint wants for very long when your car is your baby lol. Good luck with every thing esp. the paint. Its a long long road and alot of work!!

Hey Phil, make sure you have plenty of cut off wheels handy, cutting down those mounting ears was a PIA!!!

Get two three inch bolts from home depot and cut the bolt heads off and use as a guide to help align the trans onto the engine as you guide it in (do not tighten guide bolts so you can easily unscrew once you have the trans matted up and replace with correct trans bolts), works like a charm and only cost about $2.00. Also, you will need to tilt the engine back and use two floor jacks to lift the trans into place (make sure it is in neutral)...did it myself with a little help from my 8 year old on the jacks.

Phil, I have two of those trannys saved up to use with my RB. If I swap out the front Z31 bell to the rb25 bell, that makes up the same trans we use for our rb swaps (rb25det RWD trans). I was thinking, if I could just get these two tranny's machined, and a adaptor made to the rb bolt pattern, like you did for the L6, I wouldn't need to source a rb donor bell to mate to the Z31 trans...

Do you think that place would make up those alum adaptor plates to the rb bolt pattern?

BTW, those tranny's can handle mucho power, compared to anything you've been using! :2thumbs:

Great Video!!

Just an observation, but don't most trans adapters run $500+ (and that's with a production run)?

If that's the case I'd try and find a bellhousing, that way if you keep munching transmissions it won't be an extra step to replace.

Considering 1JZ R154 bellhousings are considered "rare" and go for about $450, I'd think the RB bells would go for less. But maybe I'm way off base...

Awesome write-up Phil! Is it going to be black again?

Just an observation, but don't most trans adapters run $500+ (and that's with a production run)?

If that's the case I'd try and find a bellhousing, that way if you keep munching transmissions it won't be an extra step to replace.

Considering 1JZ R154 bellhousings are considered "rare" and go for about $450, I'd think the RB bells would go for less. But maybe I'm way off base...

Awesome write-up Phil! Is it going to be black again?

[threadjack]I just got my 1JZ R154 bellhousing from Toyota for $315 shipped. They're still making them. It's about $375 shipped from Driftmotion.com[/threadjack]

Phil, I have two of those trannys saved up to use with my RB. If I swap out the front Z31 bell to the rb25 bell, that makes up the same trans we use for our rb swaps (rb25det RWD trans). I was thinking, if I could just get these two tranny's machined, and a adaptor made to the rb bolt pattern, like you did for the L6, I wouldn't need to source a rb donor bell to mate to the Z31 trans...

Do you think that place would make up those alum adaptor plates to the rb bolt pattern?

BTW, those tranny's can handle mucho power, compared to anything you've been using! :2thumbs:

Great Video!!

I don't want to step on any toes here on Hybrid but the machine shop that I took the bell housing to also did all of Chris's motor work (blue turbo 240z in my videos) That machine shop put the mazworx adapter plate into their computer and said he would make me more adapter plates for $150 just incase Chris wanted one for his car. Mazworx sold me the plate for $300. Now Garrett said that his Mazworx plate flexes a bit when you push the clutch, but its nothing to worry about. I had every intention to buy Austin's (240hoke) plate but he was out at the time. I believe his are a bit thicker/stronger?? But what I'm saying is if you had the RB bolt pattern mayby they could do something for you, I don't know?

Hey phil im going to be very interested in the adapter. And i dont think your stepping on anybodys toes. Austin said he doesnt intend to make any more. And to fix the flexing problem why not just have them make it a tad thicker? Ill pm you about it.

I may be off base here a bit, or just wrong tranny.

Don't you have to trim that dust shield some for the drive shaft?

Come on, you look bigger than me and I heaved mine back into place after doing my clutch/flywheel, couple months ago.....in my driveway;)!!

Your z31 looks like it would be heavier.

I got the Z31 tranny in by myself. Yes I had to trim the trans mounts a bit but only the driver side. No the dust shield does not have to be trimmed on the Z31/Z32 trans, I think thats the 240sx trans?

Austin said he will make more when the demand is back up I believe??

Phil, I am assuming this is the later model Z32 trans you are using?

no its the Z31 turbo trans out of the SS car. same internals as Z32 just the shifter needs no mods, it comes through the stock 240-280z hole.

http://z31.com/misc/info/ss/

I should take a pic of the poor Z31ss my trans came out of. It was creamed in the back.....so sad.

Nice video phil, i always enjoy them.Hope to see it running once you get your driveshaft....and make sure you do a nice burnout.lol Keep up the good work..hows the painting coming along?

slow, but sure. I want it to look REAL nice this time.