HybridZ

sheet metal intake manifold

Well it was time i tried my skills at some fabrication work....and one of my first projects i thought of was to make a sheet metal manifold. I saw Zredbaron's twm induction box and thought i could make something similar except in aluminum. I didn't go off any blueprints or any realy serious calculations just what i have seen other do and what ive seen. Whether this thing works or not i have no idea until its done..i hope it does but only time will tell. This manifold is for my 40mm webers with the stock airhorns so my concern still is how im going to seal everything and still have access to the horns but i got an idea floating in my head for that problem. Aside from that, all this is a learning curve for me and i hope it goes well because i already have another design in head for another one. Anyway on with pictures of my progress so far...feel free to give me input or call me an idiot...worst case scenario i'll have a nice paper weight.lol

Started with paper template...

Picture034.jpg

Cut out patern on aluminum for airhorns and rivited a stainless piece to go under the carbs for a heat shield

Picture041.jpg

here it is installed

Picture032.jpg

now here is the hand rolled aluminum and two sheared pieces of the main manifold tacked together

Picture036.jpg

me excited and doing a test fit lol

Picture039-1.jpg

A inside look of the shape and airhorns

Picture040.jpg

Picture038.jpg

Here is the three pieces partially welded together

Picture045.jpg

Picture044.jpg

end piece welded in..kind of a pain with limited space...

Picture050.jpg

Picture051.jpg

3" inlet mocked up....i dont like the round to square transition so its just a mock up for me to form the aluminum into a taper....paper came in handy at this point.

Picture055.jpg

Picture054.jpg

Picture058.jpg

Picture060.jpg

Picture062.jpg

And finally were at today..... a mock up of what the round to the tapered entry will look like... the round part will be for a silicone hose to connect to some duct work i'll run to the front and have that ram air effect i think...lol

Picture063.jpg

locodrftr.

There are many extremely experienced, knowledgeable, and talented fabricators who are Hybridz contributors. They often turn out very impressive parts. Your intake is a good first effort and contribution to the cause.

Gnosez:

yeah i still might taper down to the last air horn as i have seen it done on just about all aftermarket manifolds for Rbs....as for the smaller air horns i eventually will get smaller ones but i just dont feel like forking over the extra cash right now, these will have to do for now....

Proxlamus:

Thanks,and everything that you see was tig welded......I always avoid mig welding anything i do....i just hate it lol

Garvice:

thanks man, In a few years i hope i would have made a ton of parts...parts that work well that is.

Mayolives:

Yeah alot of skilled people on here im just trying to pretend to be one lol Its a learning curve i guess...thanks for the support

Josh:

hey thanks man, how's the sanding going? you done yet?lol Good luck and i hope to see your car finished soon.

Very busy weekend...and not in the good way...

I didnt have a chance to do anymore work on the box due to the fact that my brothers honda got a busted timing belt. I never really liked honda's and now i really dont...what a pain it was to change the belt....and the water pump driven off of the timing belt??? whatever its done i finished and it runs...until next time hopefully i post some progress as oppesed to this....

sheetmetalmanifold.jpg

I know the expense of the smaller horns can be a factor, hell I have the cheapest of the two TWM boxes and that was way too much money to spend, but you run the risk with your current set-up of A) not getting the air to flow into the last set of horns and B) the horns themselves blocking the flow of air.

If you don't have a A/F meter installed consider one to protect your engine.

It would be interesting to see the numbers with and without the horns.....

Eh I think hes going with a 3" intake, this should be good. I also do believe a 40mm carb with an airhorn flows like a 45mm, 45mm with horns like a 50mm. Then it all comes down to the venturis, the manifold ports, and the ports in the head, how crazy you get with them.

Edit:

6-cyl_airbox.jpg

From the TWM website 1.25" difference from the front to the rear of the box. I don't know much of anything about flow but to me that doesn't seem to significant, that is, compared to those RB intakes that come down to a really small area on the last cylinder.

Also note this "JDM" air box that was used on 50mm Mikunis:

znpjxx.jpg

2quhix5.jpg

No angle, quite similar to what he's doing actually. Link to ebay listing:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-STAINLESS-STEEL-TRIPLE-MIKUNI-WEBER-COLD-AIR-BOX_W0QQitemZ220384176134QQcmdZViewItemQQptZRace_Car_Parts?hash=item220384176134&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=72%3A1171|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318