HybridZ

Giving More HP on a NA

Redorae

I have a 1979 280zx NA and would like to get the most HP I can out of It for under 1k. What would be the best course of action?

I am new to California and live in Oceanside (North San diego county) does anyone know of a reliable shop that specializes in Z's out here?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In CA you have to deal with smog checks every two years. That means you should sell your car and get a 75 or older, in my opinion. I don't think you'll pass with a cam, and I'd guess a cat back exhaust isn't going to do much on a 280ZX. I don't think there is a full exhaust system for the ZX that is CA smog legal. I could be wrong on that though...

Change the oil and filter.

Change the transmission and diff fluid.

Adjust the valves.

New plugs.

New plug wires.

New air filter.

Fix any ignition problems.

Adjust the clutch.

Pull and have the injectors cleaned and balanced.

Replace leaking vacuum lines.

Replace leaking fuel lines.

Check the brake pads.

Completely flush the brake fluid with new DOT4.

Get an alignment.

Set the air pressures in your tires.

Doing all the above will get you more speed then anything listed so far.

• Administrators

Just want to clarify for those reading this that think they can just stick a big cam in their stock Z and make more power! That ONLY applies if you are also planning to install an after-market EFI system or carbs! If you are using the stock EFI, do NOT go for the big cam! Trust me, that is a big NO-NO with the stock EFI!

I did everything JohnC stated above and changed the air box to a "cold air" type, installed a 60mm throtle body (and matched the intake mani), and removed ALL the options, shy of power windows. I also dropped tire size to a 205/60/14, down from 205/70 to optimize gearing; though it added some revs on the highway. My car flew for a na zx.. it surprised a whole lot of people, and would smoke your average ricer on the street!

I did have a pieced together exhaust too, but that might not be legal in cali. There is always the "test pipe" option though.

I hope this helps, good luck.

Just want to clarify for those reading this that think they can just stick a big cam in their stock Z and make more power! That ONLY applies if you are also planning to install an after-market EFI system or carbs! If you are using the stock EFI, do NOT go for the big cam! Trust me, that is a big NO-NO with the stock EFI!

Been there did that.

With exhaust, it did improve things for more fun.

Without after market ecu, fumes would burn your eyes at idle.

You will not pass emission.

Believe it or not, get a turbo fly wheel, take about 7lbs off it, get a turbo clutch, and balance the flywheel and pressure plate.

This will not effect emissions but will have a noticeable increase in the butt dyno.

Then get an after market ecu, (megasquirt) and learn to tune!

You can always use these parts later in a different build (earlier) model.

Been there did that.

With exhaust, it did improve things for more fun.

Without after market ecu, fumes would burn your eyes at idle.

You will not pass emission.

Believe it or not, get a turbo fly wheel, take about 7lbs off it, get a turbo clutch, and balance the flywheel and pressure plate.

This will not effect emissions but will have a noticeable increase in the butt dyno.

Then get an after market ecu, (megasquirt) and learn to tune!

You can always use these parts later in a different build (earlier) model.

Flywheel is not a bad suggestion, but if the budget is $1K I'd go with an aluminum one like Fidanza. I can feel a difference between my 12 lb flywheel and my friend's 10 lb, so I would assume there is a larger difference to be felt from a lightened stocker at say 16 vs the aluminum one. The 79 came with a 280Z 5 speed with wide gear spacing and 3.70 diff I think. Switching to a later 5 speed (80-83, NA, not turbo) and 3.90 or 4.11 rear gear would be a nice upgrade. You might be able to get the trans, diff, and flywheel for under $1K.

Mine of course is an 83na w/3.9 rear.

Is yours n/a and still drivable? That is why I did not go too light. (I'm at 17.5lbs or so)

Hope not to get to far off subject.

My car was driveable with a heavier than stock ACT clutch and triple 44s, a decent sized cam and the flywheel. Drove it daily like that for years, no problem at all, was easy to handle in stop and go traffic. My opinion is that the Z has enough rotating mass in the crankshaft to make the lack of mass in the flywheel a non-issue.

EDIT--Mine was a 240 at 2350 lbs. I'm sure that will make a difference, but I still wouldn't hesitate at all to get the lighter flywheel.

I dont have to worry about emmissions because my car is registered in Montana.

Would adding an electric fan kit and switching over to an electric water pump help any?

And does anyone know where I can purchase some performance EFI's?

Electric fan and water pump aren't going to free up very many hp in my opinion, but I don't have any dyno sheets to show one way or the other. I know when I switched to an electric fan I couldn't tell the difference from the driver's seat.

For EFI there are a lot of options. Searching would be a good start there. I think the most popular here is probably megasquirt which has its own forum, but I'd also guess that it's probably most popular because of the cost.

Change the oil and filter.

Change the transmission and diff fluid.

Adjust the valves.

New plugs.

New plug wires.

New air filter.

Fix any ignition problems.

Adjust the clutch.

Pull and have the injectors cleaned and balanced.

Replace leaking vacuum lines.

Replace leaking fuel lines.

Check the brake pads.

Completely flush the brake fluid with new DOT4.

Get an alignment.

Set the air pressures in your tires.

Doing all the above will get you more speed then anything listed so far.

I did this and Hes really not kidding i did the oil change and new tire alingment and jesus that alone made it feel like it was a whole different car.

Just be careful with your registration - I am guesisng you're out here for school and that's why it's registered out of state? If you get pulled over for anything, the cop may write you a ticket for living in the state and being registred out of state - thus forcing you to register and smog in CA. This happened to me when I was 20 and going to school here with WA plates.