Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Do this my friend is my combination:

N47 or E31 Head with a Felpro Head Gasket

Flat Pistons

Pacesetter Header

3.90 Diff on 14" rims

You will be fast enough

If you want more power performance this cpombination with a MEGASQUIRT and you will fly for a N/A

With N47 you will get 10.0:1 compression APROX

With E31(best for me) you will get 10.5:1 compression APROX

I have now th N47 combination and belive me is fast and cool feeling im looking now for the E31 Head

Lots of good ideas.

Under 1K$.

Best bang for your buck. Swap to a lower gear. if you have a 3.9, find a 4.11. You will feel that right away. A weber big throat throttle body is also seat of the pants noticeable.

John has it right with the basic list of maintenance, It will make a noticeable difference.

Keeping it under 1K$ is the trick, there are a ton more mods if you want to spend more.

• Administrators
what is the EFI? an what dose it have to do with the cam's performance??

Chris M. owner of a 1981 280zx.

The EFI is the Electronic Fuel Injection. A system designed to deliver gasoline directly into the engine itself.

EFI came standard on the ’75 and newer Z cars. The factory Datsun/Nissan EFI does NOT play well with aftermarket cams as it can’t be tuned around cams other than stock,i.e. the stock '75-'83 Z car EFI is programmed for the stock cam and is NOT reprogrammable. You see, a different cam changes the engines fuel requirements at varying RPMS and loads. An aftermarket EFI system allows the owner/tuner to “tune” the system, i.e. adjustable, thereby allowing you to tune or adjust the fuel delivery to match the engines needs. Make a change those needs, such as installing a different camshaft and you can adjust the fueling to match those new needs.

The details of how and why are bit more complicated than that, but that should help explain the basic principles.

Ahh i see, thank you for answering that for me. well let me ask this, is it worth the money to buy a stage 2 cam kit from "the Z store" that coast $800.00, am i going to get much out of it with a none turbo motor that is running very well as is? {new injectouirs, plugs, wire's, all new vaccum lines, blah blah blah} or is there somthing else i can do to make a diffrence in gitting more power to the wheels an spending 2 grand...note, that i plan on turbo'ing this Z in about 8 mounth's or that's the plan at least, but till then im staying tail happy:burnout:

• Administrators
...is it worth the money to buy a stage 2 cam kit from "the Z store" that coast $800.00

The factory Datsun/Nissan EFI does NOT play well with aftermarket cams as it can’t be tuned around cams other than stock...

Originally Posted by chrismiller5157 viewpost.gif

...is it worth the money to buy a stage 2 cam kit from "the Z store" that coast $800.00

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRAAP viewpost.gif

The factory Datsun/Nissan EFI does NOT play well with aftermarket cams as it can’t be tuned around cams other than stock...

Regards, Ron

Friction is a drag.

I GET IT........WOW!

Megasquirt would solve that problem..

I know its mentioned before, but a tune up, big throttle body, cold air, electric fan, exhaust and an MSD makes a huge difference over stock. Removing some heavy stuff from the car (ie. AC, ASCD. etc) doesn't hurt either.

• 2 weeks later...

A Big TB does nothing on a stock car! Cold air doesnt do anything (id made a 2 hp on my turbo car .. but the stock filter was clogged), MSD does nothing for a stock car, An electric fan doesn’t do anything .. it might rev more freely in neutral .. But for instant Bernard makes over 400 HP with the stock fan. And i see no reason to believe he would make much more with an electric fan.

Stripping the interior does work .. but hey that is fairly radical for a street car.

I dont want to be rude to all the people that say their TB and cold air made a diffrence .. it does not .. and if it does anything it is so marginal it is not worth it.

I agree it makes the car SOUND faster.

Judging from the comments made by you I suspect you do not have a lot of wrench time on cars in general, so this might be out of your league. Apart from John’s list id say on an NA

Get a later 82/83 f54 flat top block from a junkyard, ($250)

Bump the compression by bolting on your n42 head that you have now, maybe if you feel you are inclined enough clean up the ports a bit.

Get a head gasket and manifold gasket ($100)

Get a MSA Header.

Get a mild street cam ($500 for the full set)

Get your stock EFI tuned and be happy with the fact you do not use full potential.

Optional:

Get MsS, as Braap said stock EFI is a fairly simple system that allows for some play.. but would net get the full potential from the cam at hand, so Megesquirt is the way to go IF you understand the basics of what it does, and the dynamics in a combustion engine.

The fan, and lightening up rotating mass gives you a seat of your pants increase.

The fan is just a parasitic drag, not too noticeable, the rotating mass reduction is very apparent. THE ENGINE will NOT have a HP increase, of course.

How could you say it makes no difference? If you drive a zx with those upgrades next to a completely stock one, you're telling me they would go the exact same speed and (if they were racing), get the exact same time? I've driven both, and know its not true.

Just because one car can accelerate faster then another does not mean the faster car has more horsepower. There's that whole lower weight and reduced MOI thing that improves a vehicle's rate of acceleration without affecting the hp produced by the engine.

I have a f54/p90a in my 78 280z. I got a Fidanza flywheel and installed it. When I first drove it I had no fan, and could tell a noticeable difference with no stock mechanical fan, compared to having the stock mechanical fan installed now. I need to get an electric fan and install, but currently in the process of painting the car and will address that issue later on.

Jeremy

I have a f54/p90a in my 78 280z. I got a Fidanza flywheel and installed it. When I first drove it I had no fan, and could tell a noticeable difference with no stock mechanical fan, compared to having the stock mechanical fan installed now. I need to get an electric fan and install, but currently in the process of painting the car and will address that issue later on.

Jeremy

of course your car is going to accelerate faster with an aluminum flywheel and new clutch without the fan, vs the stock flywheel and fan, have you ever weighed a stock L-series flywheel against the fidanza????? :icon55:

and removing the fan you gain like a whopping .6WHP

your ass dyno isnt worth the crap that comes out of it! ontop of EVERYTHING else its a STOCK 280ZX! its gonna be slow regardless of how much useless crap you throw on it!

/rant/vent

(why hasnt this thread been sent to the shed yet?)