Broken Head bolts, Head is stuck

attworth

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If I had to venture a guess, 5&6th cylinders endure heat cycles the most and consequently it where the headgaskest fail the most.

There is a tread of fellows tapping the heads water passages around 5&6 to pull more heat away from that area.

• 3 weeks later...
Tony,

For the broken bolts that protruding above the deck surface enough to grab with a pair of vice grips, smacking the tops of them with a hammer hard, VERY hard, then apply lots of heat to the block surrounding the stubborn busted bolt. Smack the bolt a few more times and work at the bolt with vice grips. Smack some more, apply more heat, repeat. The rapid thermal expansion and shock loading from smacking them is the most successful method for freeing up those stubborn rusty/seized bolts. Feel free to try the penetrating oils, over night soaking, etc. I have found that sometimes helps, but not always. The heat and smacking method is my hands down, most successful method for removing stubborn bolts, pipe plugs etc. If that doesn’t work, then its on to more sophisticated means, drilling, picking out residual bolt threads, and worst case, drilling even more and helicoil/threadsert.

Hope that helps,

Paul

PICT0894.jpg

PICT0893.jpg i have a very similar problem ive heard of people suggesting welding a nut to the ones where the shaft is sticking out and then just removing with a socket but since i dont have a welder i guess ill just try your method and beat it to death:beatdeadh and if that doesnt work ill bust out the PB Blaster and bolt extractor

ill post my results after im finished

1 question it might be kind of obvious but before i go drilling and using the bolt extractor what would be your opinion for the one that is almost flush to the block surface?

I have in the past removed rusted bolts with muriatic acid, and now more recently i have found a product called evap-o-rust. both work great on rust, just allow the stuff to work over a couple of days and you have no more rust.

I can 2nd Paul's method is the best, for getting things out quickly.

update...Pauls heat and bang method is a successPICT1075.jpg

however i still need to get the bolt thats flush with the block out im going to try this productPICT1082.jpg

oh and 1 more the infamous thermostat housing bolt..i tried removing this one first using autozone O.E.M. brand extractor they look something like thisPICT1087.jpg i dont have pics of the broken ones(yes i wrote ones because not only 1 broke..2 of them did.. but i got lucky with the first one and was able to remove it) cuz they got me so pissed i threw it as far i could:/..everything was going good i drilled the hole good then the extractor got snug gave it 1/2 turn more and SNAP it broke(chrome vanadium my a$$) inside the bolt causing this messPICT0873.jpg so now ill have to take it to the pros to have it welded, tapped and threaded... to be continued..

- yes i need to learn how to use the focus on the camera :/ dont hate

..everything was going good i drilled the hole good then the extractor got snug gave it 1/2 turn more and SNAP it broke(chrome vanadium my a$$)

This happened to me on two intake bolts and the first thing I did was throw away all my extractors and promised to never use them again. I managed to use a diamond tipped barb in my dremel wand to drill out the extractor and then finished drilling out the bolt to rethread the hole. Not fun in the aluminum head!

I think this is a very informative thread and should be made a sticky.

I second that, very informative thread about what could (has!) happen to all of us with our old cars/engines.

I haven't seen a post it thread summarizing all the good technics to work on our cars we can find on HBZ... A lot of work for sure! :redface:

A friend of mine broke 3 studs on a 911. He welded nuts to try the technic, it was able to remove 1 out of 3 (without the heat and bang method described above)

im thinking of removing the head on my L28et. to further inspect and clean valves, piston tops etc etc. would you guys recommend that ? cause im feeling rather pessimistic about even touching those bolts after reading this thread lol . what would you guys recommend i do BEFORE i try to remove the head bolts to prevent breakage if anything at all.

has anyone had any experience using the harbor freight set it runs 8.99 for a set of 5 bits and extractors but the design is different than that of the autozone ones(9.99) and is very similar to the craftsman extractors which run 17.99

here is the harbor freight one it runs 8.99

40349.jpg

and here is the craftsman one it runs 17.99

00966196000-1.jpg

both very similar in design but how about quality? if anybody has tried these please commient

now i really regret buying that set of 3 extractors for 19.99 when i couldve bought some craftsman for less :( or better just taken to the machine shop and have them deal with it, the main problem i see is drilling into hard metals like head bolts to make the hole to fit the extractor in. Im currently using a cordless drill although i did use an electric on the heads, also post any tips u might have -im using oil and going slow(er) rather than going fast idk if thats the right method?

also what pricing do machine shops usually run to remove a bolt

-i picked up my (alden pro grab it) set at home depot and while i was there i also saw a 5pc black n decker set for 9.99 but it looked like the same material as the autozone ones and very identical design so i opted not to grab that

Edited by Mr.Roboto
added more comments

Broke one this weekend. I am not too concerned about it because it was on the torquing process that it happened! It's the #1 on the thermostat side.

I had no option than to rely on our L engine ruggedness. So I just pretended that it had never happenned and set off 80 miles away for a Hill climb. I did 3 runs and then back to my garage. End of the day, only a minor water leak, I poured 1,5 liter of water once, and it cured itself after...

I will take the head off again... and change the bolts, I had used them 3 times before, I was pushing my luck!

Yet I must say it's one tough engine :shock:

ok heres an update that is actually a success, although i was beginning to lose hope after a couople minutes of drilling with my $20 bit that was merely scratching the bolt i just got a spur of the moment idea to use a regular metal drill bit again, so chose a 5/32 put 200lbs of man into it and i saw some shavings start to crawl up after a couple more mins i was about 1/4 in. deep which is about the depth the alden drill bit side will dig deep. PICT1102.jpg

So i then grabbed my #2 alden extractor, even though the manufacturer says to use the #3 bit for 5/16 bolts to me it seemed a little big so thats y i chose #2(and also because the 5/32 drill bit was the only fresh bit i had that wasnt oversized for the bolt). Anyways lets continue first i tried using a pair of vice grips and they kept slipping off the tool then a crescent wrench same thing happened because the bolt was torqued so hard so then i finally got a 1/4 in. socket on a 3/8 ratchet and gave a slow, careful, torquey twist heard the bolt break loose and out it came.PICT1106.jpg

overall i am happy with the results of this extractor even though the drill bit side didnt do much drilling on the bolt. at first i was concerned about how little the threads were sticking out on the extractor side but it proved to be a good product and it didnt SNAP so im happy.

- i would also like to mention that i did some heating and banging before i drillled n extracted

Don't buy the left hand bits from harbor freight.

The ones I recently bought all dulled even at 120rpms with cutting oil.

+1 harbor freight tools are normally Taiwan made. and (no offense) but their warranty policy aint that great either. craftsman has lifte time which is good enough for me if these bastards break. but of coarse... i would rather them hold up. or even better... NOT have the need to use them in the first place.

is there anyway to increase my ods of ONT breaking a head bolt tough. like is there anything i can do prior to trying to remove teh bolts that MIGHT loosen them up a bit or something ? like warming up the bolt wwith a torch then hitting it slightly with a hammer on the head or something ?