HybridZ

New Z purchase... Where do I look for rust?

Ok so im new to this forum, but ive been a fan of z's FOREVER. never actually owned one though..:-/ a friend of mines dad knows ive been in search of one as a project and found one for me. its been sitting in the back of some guys private junk yard burried under boxes and miscellaneous things. no parts have been robbed off of it or anything luckily. Its a 75 280 probably (i say probably because im pretty sure the guy cant tell between a 240 or 260 or 280z). Im goint to go take a look at it on monday and see if everything they told me is true and if so im going to buy it.

So im asking any of you more experienced members of this forum, for advice as to where rust might be hidden that id probably be able to see other than the more obvious places that most older cars experience.

the asking price is only 300 since the guy doesnt want/need/like the car so ill probably end up buying it no matter what either for a parts car for a future project or to part out and atleast get my money back plus some.

Thanks in advance for any awnsers. Im sure you will all be most helpful

EVERYWHERE.

Look at the exterior parts but rust can also be underneath the dash and behind the fenders. If you really want to see if the car is rust free you really need to take it all apart and inspect it that way. If it has been sitting outside I would look everywhere twice.

In short, look for rust in the floor pans (inside and underneath), frame rails, radiator support, rear hatch panel area, rear fender areas, rockers, underneath dash around the front windshield area, spare tire area, around the drip rails, battery tray and anywhere in the engine area and around the windshield wiper battery.

All those parts I described are common parts, especially if the car has been sitting outside.

If you want to look for rust, I would take a good set tools and take at least an hour to inspect all those areas I just mentioned. Don't worry about rust on the front fenders, doors and hatch as those part are fairly easy to find for cheap.

P.S I have seen rust in all those areas and they were all CALI cars.

alright. thanks everyone for the helpful input. I just wasnt sure if there was any weird spots that water may drain off and accumulate and cause rust. Like i said ive never physically owned a z, but im not new on working on cars and stuff. Im not sure the guy would like me taking things apart and looking for rust before i buy it though so ill probably just have to settle for the more accessible areas for now. If i do buy it though i plan on it being strictly a project and completely tearing it down and doing any body work needed. Hopefully this will be one of those lost jewls that everyone wishes for. haha

I've circled anything you should check in red: :mrgreen:

In all seriousness though, below the battery tray, around the "frame" (for lack of a better word) rails, where the front sway bar mounts into the rails, typical floors/trunk. Check the inner fender sides under the hood and in the wheelwell. Sometimes they rust as the two skins of metal are close together below the strut mounting locations. The front strut rod support mounting locations as well. Other than that just the usual spots you'd look on any car.

But be realistic, it's a 35 year old car. As with any old vehicle the potential for it needing metal work is high.

And if he's not ok with you lifting carpets and taking things apart, find a different seller. It's your money, and cars are a shitty investment.

s30_thumb.JPG

yeah I will be sure to be as thurough as possible. I was jut trying to find out if they were more known to rust in certain areas rather than others so I know where to look more closely. I had already known about under the carpets and wheel wells and things of that nature..but thane everyone or the input and I'll be sure to make a chrklisy when I go out there. If everythig checks out or is reparable then I will purchase it and I'm sure I'll be on this forum a ton bugging u guys with ideas or problems and whatnot...lol

I'm sure I'll be on this forum a ton bugging u guys with ideas or problems and whatnot...lol

By all means but make sure you use the SEARCH function first because no one likes beatin' the same horse to death over and over again. Good luck.

UPDATE!!!.......The car is in fact NOT a 75 280z. It is a 72 240z!. Which, in my book, is awesome. The engine is in pristine condition considering that the car has been sitting for atleast 7 years. theres a few dings in the body, one in the passenger fender and a couple others that are easily knocked out. It is missing the passenger seat but over all it is a steal of a deal. As for rust i went over it pretty thuroughly and i only found minimal but not cancerous rust in the battery tray. Everything else was perfect. So for 300 dollars this is a freaking steal!. I will post pic updates as soon as i bring her home.

UPDATE!!!.......The car is in fact NOT a 75 280z. It is a 72 240z!. Which, in my book, is awesome. The engine is in pristine condition considering that the car has been sitting for atleast 7 years. theres a few dings in the body, one in the passenger fender and a couple others that are easily knocked out. It is missing the passenger seat but over all it is a steal of a deal. As for rust i went over it pretty thuroughly and i only found minimal but not cancerous rust in the battery tray. Everything else was perfect. So for 300 dollars this is a freaking steal!. I will post pic updates as soon as i bring her home.

yes it was and its in good shape for what it is...i cant wait to help with the build...galloguy05s going to be buying allot of beer lmao

Hehe, I help fix yur Z and you bring me lite beer??? hehe just kidding...

Wow, That sounds like a pretty awesome deal, 300 bucks for a nearly rust free 72'!! very nice!

You'll need parts for it. Search on here, but there's a lot of places you can get them for old S30's...

Some are:

Misc aftermarket repro:

blackdragon

MSA

Datsun restore

Body parts:

Tabco

Misc parts:

EBAY!

This along with various junk yards and look up your local Z CarClub, you should be able to find all the parts you'll ever need.

Congrats on the find, now how about them picts?

Phar

Some people have all the luck and stuff falls in their lap :(... grats on the rare find and good luck with the project; although, it doesn't sound like much of a project to get it on the road from what you described. :mrgreen:

Btw - check the firewall seam under the dash as I've read that's the source for rusted floors/wet interior.

i was VERY lucky and had this fall in my lap. I put the word out that i was looking for one. I actually said i was looking for a 280z because i know the 240's are a little harder to find. But this one came up and i pounced on it. I know i promised pics and i plan to keep that promise. Im just waiting for the seller to do the dmv paperwork. Its been off the grid for around 7 years or more so apparently the car no longer exists to the state of california. lol. but as soon as he takes care of that ill be handing over the money and bringing her home and posting pics up. Im sure after a tear down ill be finding some rust since it has been sitting for so long. but from my once over before and in company of Bigflatblack (who is a more seasoned mechanic than i am with the formal training) we found that its in pretty great condition. its only missing wheels and interrior pieces and WAS running when it was left where it currently is. So like i said as soon as i get it home ill show u all the pics and start with any questions i may have. Thanks for all the input guys. Im hoping ill have it here by the middle of next week. *crosses fingers*

Hehe, I help fix yur Z and you bring me lite beer??? hehe just kidding...

Wow, That sounds like a pretty awesome deal, 300 bucks for a nearly rust free 72'!! very nice!

You'll need parts for it. Search on here, but there's a lot of places you can get them for old S30's...

Some are:

Misc aftermarket repro:

blackdragon

MSA

Datsun restore

Body parts:

Tabco

Misc parts:

EBAY!

This along with various junk yards and look up your local Z CarClub, you should be able to find all the parts you'll ever need.

Congrats on the find, now how about them picts?

Phar

lol i never said miller lite...i dont drink that light beer ♥♥♥♥...haha

So some unfortunate news here guys. The guy with the 72 240z saw how quick i was to jump on the car so i guess it made him think about selling it. So now he says he no longer wants to sell it and if he does he wants a minimum of 2000. Now this guy must think im a complete fool or something but theres no way im going to pay 2,000 dollars for pretty much a shell of a 240. It has the engine and all but theres no telling if it even runs and he isnt willing to run it or anything til he has cash in hand. So anyways this guy is not getting any money out of me. I do, however, have a 75 280z in the works. A local detailing shop owner has one for sale that for 1500 that he would give to me for 800. Im going to go look at it today. It is supposed to have an re-done or atleast very decent shape interrior (since the guy does detailing for a living im sure its atleast clean) and the body has already had most work done on it and primered and ready for paint.

So ill try and take as many pics as i can for you all but if it looks good i may very well bring that one home. Now id much rather have the 240z because i hate the look of the 280z's bumpers but ill take what i can get. Ill keep you all updated on my roller coaster ride of finding an old Z

So some unfortunate news here guys. The guy with the 72 240z saw how quick i was to jump on the car so i guess it made him think about selling it.

We need to play poker sometime. j/k :) That's really too bad and I feel for you; however, it's just a sign... like my momma always told me: "Good things come to those who wait"! You'll find just as good if not a better deal I'm sure. Chin up...