HybridZ

The "Dumbass Shop Moments Facepalm" Thread

LowCarbZ

and made the 80 mile drive home with 80lb's of tools/stuff in my trunk with my brother.

You made your brother ride in the trunk??!?

Man, I thought my siblings were bad but I wouldn't consider stuffing them into a trunk. (Tempting, but I think there's laws against that sort of thing...)

I'm just glad I'm not related to YOU!

Man, I thought my siblings were bad but I wouldn't consider stuffing them into a trunk. (Tempting, but I think there's laws against that sort of thing...)

lol he was in the passenger seat this time.:icon45:

I know I've posted a stupid story from my youth in some other thread but my most recent bone head move involves the Z. I replaced the front frame rails with 2 1/2" tube steel and was very careful to make sure that everything remained square and in alignment. I hung the doors, fenders and hood back on the car when we were done and all was good with panel alignment. I'm utilizing a bolt in radiator core support and underestimated how much rigidity the core support adds.

Once the frame rails were done I hung the car back on the rotisserie without the core support bolted in. We installed subframe connectors at this point but didn't realize the front rails had twisted in the process. We finished up the installation, had the car media blasted, put in primer and bolted the supension back under it. I shipped it off to the body shop in preparation for paint and simply received a phone call from the body shop owner one day that I needed to come there. Once he went to hang the sheet metal back on the car it was very apparent that the car was twisted by 1 1/2". The car had to be put on a frame machine and pulled back to shape which in turn buckled the firewall and floor pans.:banghead: This one was a little more than a head in palm moment but it's fixed now even if it is just sitting waiting for me to finish it.

• 1 month later...

I have adjusted my valves to the metric spec, while looking at the imperial (Inches) numbers. Even got a new feeler gauge because I thought that was the issue. hahaha It sounded like a diesel.

Put the front springs on the rear and vise virsa. It was slammed in the rear, and ridin high on the front. Words of my sis; "looks like a midget should be driving it"

OMFG john, that is too funny!

Mine isn't much better though. At the track, got a good knock going after an autocross run. A quick listen and it wasn't good, everyone who offered an opinion said "wow, that's some serious rod knock". Limped the car home with the bad noises. Got all the parts together to do a rebuild. A few weeks after the incident get to tear it down, (it's my daily driver as well at the time) end up with the entire engine apart on the floor and everything inside looks PERFECT. No spun bearings, no bearing wear, no nothing. Scratch my head for a bit, and then go look at the engine head. One of my valves is at 0.080" clearance, the lock nut had come loose!

Expensive lesson, could have just pulled the valve cover and adjusted the valves before I left the track that day...

As kids we once put my youngest brother (13 at the time) in the trunk of my other brother's '69 Camaro to add ballast to pull a wheelie for a photo...

The Facepalm moment was when we were trailering a freshly painted AC Cobra replica to Gadsden, Alabama when the hood blew off (car was backed onto open trailer) and was runt-over by a semi. Strangely, it just cracked the FG a little and we were able to fix it and repaint it. The car body suffered more damage as the hinges ripped the cowling near the nose. Unique fixed it and we repainted it.

I replaced my stock ignition and coil with a Crane Cams unit, fired the car up and it ran great. For some stupid reason I thought I would grab the coil power wires and wiggle them to make sure they wouldn't pull out of the plug I made. I actually felt the ignition fire three times before I could let go of the wires. I shut the car off and went inside for the rest of the day.