HybridZ

Thinking of swapping the tails.

Im working on the 240z 72' and the stock tails need to be either replaced or swapped to something else. Id rather not buy a stock set of tails when I have a pair of r32 tails just sitting around. Ive seen a pair of nissan r32 2 door tails fabricated in the back of a 280zx and thought maybe they'd look good on the 240z as well. I'd offset the tails just like an r34's.

I do alot of custom work so converting something should be to big of a deal.

Your thoughts on these tails or others that could be used would be great, thanx.

The back end

P1060460.jpg

KPGC110-tail-lights-on-S30.jpg

four13.jpg

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the rectangular stock tail lights compliment the retangular rear end of the z really well, and I love the euro lights... I think they really set them the car off.

It is a rare occurrence in my opinion to see anything that looks right thats a retrofit. I think alot of this has to do with the cheesy tail light panels most people make...flat plate. I think a molded mesh black screen with flushed in round lights like on a ferarri 360 would look hot...but hard to do.

That black car is one of the best Ive seen. I also like Dan Juday's but his are rectangular and fit his extreme body mods.

There was a set of the C210 Skyline tail lights in a shop down the street from here (Up-Garage) Haven't been down there in a while, not sure if they are still there. Had a set a few years back and sold them cheap, wish I would have held on to them.

KGC110Lights1.jpg

KGC110Lights2.jpg

gc210lights.jpg

gc210lights2.jpg

The 210s were not as popular back then so they were not priced to bad. I picked up a set of lights and rear panel in the JY for like $25.00. Not so cheap anymore. In 1990/91 or so I passed on a really sweet 110 for $6000. A bit much for a Lance Corporal back then. Thinking back I always wished I would have bought that car. Bought an 85 Honda Prelude instead...Damn.

I'm not a huge fan of the stock lights either. I have a '73. I had considered filling in the rear panel and just flush mounting a set of 260-280 lights (w/out the reverse light). Changed my mind though and now here's the direction i'm headed in. Gonna take a considerbale amount of modifications to the rear as well as to the lights themselves, however, I think the shape of the stang lights really complements the Z. Should look pretty nice and will help to smooth out the rear while still keeping a hint of the original style. I'll also be dropping the license plate lower. I think it's an eye sore sitting so high up. I'll be working this out this weekend and i'll try to keep updating my progress.

Stangtaillights.jpg

You need to look at Warrens Z, he has replaced his and it looks good. I think he used mustang tail light assembly.

John

crazy!! I really thought I was the first to think of this. Pretty naive of me I guess!!! I PM'd Warren to see if he'd share some secrets before I dig into my project.

I think they'll look better on an S30. I've shaved the rear of my car and removed the bumper so I don't have the hard horizontal line of the bumper to compete with the bottom curve of the tai lamp.

Thanks for the reference!